What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
Without addressing a major issue, like a running hooker or a ball playing fullback, the squad has been weakened.

You aren’t signing anyone decent for 250k, it’s below the average NRL wage. Best you do is fill the roster with promoted players or bring in average journeyman.

I think there’s a better than even chance the squad next year will be worse.

True but what if you get Peachey, Naden, 2 on minimum wage that would leave $400-500k to get any of those positions

franklin2323

Immortal
Without signing a key position player, best outcome I see is we basically break even. And with reports we're paying for some of Blake & DWZ's contracts i'm even more pessimistic.

Hoopers report made no sense. I doubt Blake is on much more then $500k. So how can Parra pay $2m and us pay a substantial amount? And if DWZ is on minimum due to us paying the rest why not at WT then?

Depends what they see as a key position player really.

Ivan played DWZ as winger therefore To'o or anyone on minimum wage is better value.

Until we get a ball playing fb not worth paying centres that much.

Need forwards, hooker and ball playing fullback. So if we fill one of those holes then squad has improved

Hoopers report made no sense. I doubt Blake is on much more then $500k. So how can Parra pay $2m and us pay a substantial amount? And if DWZ is on minimum due to us paying the rest why not at WT then?

Depends what they see as a key position player really.

Ivan played DWZ as winger therefore To'o or anyone on minimum wage is better value.

Until we get a ball playing fb not worth paying centres that much.

Need forwards, hooker and ball playing fullback. So if we fill one of those holes then squad has improved

I can’t say, but if we’re paying anything beyond this year we’re mugs. Hopefully we find out.

As for a key position, the most important is hooker or ball playing fullback. Everything else is secondary until that’s done. Forwards look mostly fine to me, we’ve got back rowers for days. Prop rotation of Tamou, RCG, JFH & Leota. Plus Leniu coming through. You have the option of one year deals for McKendry or Grant as further back up. I guess you could sign another outside prop, but I can’t see us getting better value than McKendry or Grant would give us.

mxlegend99

Referee
Depends how bad the cap was really if they have money to go after the Turbos for 2021 then it worked well
The majority on their roster is off contract at the same time. Klemmer would have been also. THAT is why they have money to throw around

They didn't gain from releasing Klemmer early. They would have been in the same position for 2021 regardless of keeping him or not They lost out big time losing the best front rower in the game. One of the few you could justify earning $800k+ for.

Release Klemmer. Sign Napa. Get a wooden spoon. In 2 years they will be throwing 20%+ of their cap at the Turbo brothers. They want to repeat the same mistakes. I look forward to seeung them do so. Possibly the only team who are worse at managing their roster than us.

franklin2323

Immortal
I can’t say, but if we’re paying anything beyond this year we’re mugs. Hopefully we find out.

As for a key position, the most important is hooker or ball playing fullback. Everything else is secondary until that’s done. Forwards look mostly fine to me, we’ve got back rowers for days. Prop rotation of Tamou, RCG, JFH & Leota. Plus Leniu coming through. You have the option of one year deals for McKendry or Grant as further back up. I guess you could sign another outside prop, but I can’t see us getting better value than McKendry or Grant would give us.

Before the season started I felt we were weak after player 16 in the squad.

Leota for example hasn't progressed. A few others are the same. Kenny has pushed the need for a hooker down the list. Naden improves verstatile depth. To'o is matching DWZ's numbers on the wing. No one has put their hand up to be the bench impact yet. So if we can go after a good middle then it is an improvement

Last edited:

chiefy1

Juniors
If Waqa Blake is at his peak, We made the right move.

Lol. Players don't reach their peaks until around 27/28
blake is 24 and has at least 6 good years ahead of him, and thx for paying the eels for taking him.:grin:

The thing is with Ivan and the way he left the tigs - he cannot now hold any player to a contract for the rest of his career. any player who wants our will be free to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts