What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
Lol. Players don't reach their peaks until around 27/28
blake is 24 and has at least 6 good years ahead of him, and thx for paying the eels for taking him.:grin:

The thing is with Ivan and the way he left the tigs - he cannot now hold any player to a contract for the rest of his career. any player who wants our will be free to go

Just trying to help you avoid another wooden spoon, if our rejects can do that we are happy for you to pick them up. We need to stick together out west after all.

betcats

Referee
The original reports of the rumour were suspect AF, it was back tracked within hours. It would be completely on par for a manager to pull something like that.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Lol. Players don't reach their peaks until around 27/28
blake is 24 and has at least 6 good years ahead of him, and thx for paying the eels for taking him.:grin:

The thing is with Ivan and the way he left the tigs - he cannot now hold any player to a contract for the rest of his career. any player who wants our will be free to go

Your forwards are shit and Mitchell Mose is steering your team.

How much help do you honestly think a very inconsistent Waqa is going to be?

franklin2323

Immortal
The original reports of the rumour were suspect AF, it was back tracked within hours. It would be completely on par for a manager to pull something like that.

Well how did Parra know that Blake would be interested to approach the club? It is what managers do. Put out information to help clients

BxTom

Bench
It wouldn't be like the Panthers to use the WW to try save face after the embarrassment of Corey Thompson picking the Tigers ahead of us, would it? :rolleyes:
Especially given the long history of Panthers not commenting on recruitment/retention. Until now.

The Realist

Juniors
I don’t place any credence in the made up figures the press come up with. When the rumours about DWZ first surfaced it was suggested his deal was in the vicinity of 400K per season, by the end they were saying 700K a season, just ridiculous stuff. I think both would have been in the 400K region so hopefully we may have 800K most of which will be needed to upgrade the likes of TO’O, Blore, Leniu and a few others.

That 700K was correct. Gus was considering his options regarding DWZ and Mansour more than 2 years ago. We would only keep one, DWZ was the concern because he was already on good coin for a rookie, but his contract was backended on the assumption that he'd be an elite fullback, hence the term 'fullback money'.

At the time Mansour was also considered a Rep winger. Mansours injuries and drop of form saw his value plummet so that was a relatively 'easy' resign though I was a little suprised

The Realist

Juniors
In Cleary Version 1, Luke Lewis and others were kicked out. To me, that's a pattern. I can't remember the others that he dumped in his first stint here, but I'm sure others will.

And he brought in 'Elite' players who were 'on the bus' like Taylor and Lewis. I remember arguing about it with a mate of mine who was saying 'They are NZ international players!' I was not so keen and even though they were both serviceable players they didn't come close to matching the capability of the players we lost.

Abacus

Juniors
I don't think so either. The only possibility is that we now want to keep Maloney for 2020 and budgeted for him to leave at the end of 2019.
I'm not sure its the "only" possibility but I think it likely Maloney is now in our plans for 2020, perhaps having told the club he's not going to the UK yet.

Abacus

Juniors
That 700K was correct. Gus was considering his options regarding DWZ and Mansour more than 2 years ago. We would only keep one, DWZ was the concern because he was already on good coin for a rookie, but his contract was backended on the assumption that he'd be an elite fullback, hence the term 'fullback money'.

At the time Mansour was also considered a Rep winger. Mansours injuries and drop of form saw his value plummet so that was a relatively 'easy' resign though I was a little suprised
Not sure. I read an nrl.com article indicating $200k for the balance of 2019 and $500k for 2020, hence the reported $700k.

If DWZ was on $700k for 2020, his manager would have all his clients lining up at the club. Need to remember at the time, he was a potential FB, not a proven or elite FB and we still had Moylan on the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts