1. LeagueUnlimited.com is proud to launch a brand new weekly publication - The Front Row - to accompany your footy weekend. INCLUDES team lists, match previews, match reports, key stats and news from around the National Rugby League - 32 pages and packed full. EDITION 1 - OUT NOW!
    JUST CLICK HERE TO READ ONLINE OR DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE PDF COPY.
    Dismiss Notice

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Discussion in 'Penrith Panthers' started by herbert henry1908, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Pomoz

Pomoz Juniors

Abacus likes this.
  2. rhino2009

rhino2009 Juniors

Please any more news of if Maloney will be granted early release from his2020 contract and will he sign for Leeds?

3. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

Leeds need to offer a deal 1st of all but I don't like your chances of even staying in ESL let alone sign him

4. OldPanther

OldPanther Coach

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/ex...s/news-story/f344dce5827ebea245133b0baebf6cb8

CATALANS FIRM AS MALONEY’S DESTINATION

Catalans coach Steve McNamara says his club is keen on James Maloney and that he will be one or two “significant” signings for the French club.

Maloney is not off contract until 2020, but could link with the Dragons next year if the Panthers grant him a release to take up a big payday.

“I said last week that we wouldn’t be making wholesale signings but we will be making one or two significant signings — certainly one,” McNamara said.

“We will see what the next few weeks brings.

“I’m a big fan of Jimmy, I coached him at the Roosters. He is a great character and a great player. He is a champion player and I know him well.”

5. TheFrog

TheFrog Coach

The way he's going it's becoming increasingly unlikely.

6. TheFrog

TheFrog Coach

They along with about a dozen others.

Crashtest and OldPanther like this.
  7. OldPanther

OldPanther Coach

Sounds like he's linking with an old friend:

Yep a real team effort.

8. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

9. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

Again another smart length deal

10. OldPanther

OldPanther Coach

Maybe it means we will see him play first grade soon. Recently they seem to be signing the guys who are seen as first grade quality.

11. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

Only if there’s an injury. Our prop rotation is pretty set.

OldPanther likes this.
  12. maple_69

maple_69 Bench

So hypothetical conversation. Maloney does move on in 2020. We run Cleary/Luai in the halves. Assume the Blake and DWZ moves have us under the cap for next year. What do we do with Jimmy’s ~$800K?

Looking at our potential 17 for next year:
    1. Edwards 2. Mansour 3. Naden 4. Whare 5. To’o 6. Luai 7. Cleary 8. Tamou 9. Kenny 10. JFH 11. Kikau 12. Martin 13. Yeo 14. Egan 15. RCG 16. Leota 17. Winterstein/Sele/Cartwright/Hetherington/May...

Guys outside with potential to be better than depth:
    Crichton, Burton, Staines, Leniu, S. Blore, Burns, Hopgood, Lou-Toso.

I feel reasonably confident based on the core squad we have, and Ivan, that we’ll be a pretty solid defensive unit and generally match it up front. Leniu and Blore feel like guys that could push our pack into dominant territory while I think RCG, Kikau and JFH are existing guys that will get a fair bit better.

With Blake moving on I think we lack a dominant ball runner in the backline, although To’o is nice. Ideally Crichton will fill this gap and free up some money via Whare. Outside of that we are solid defensively, have an aerial target now, good finishers on the wings, strong back 3 to kick start sets while being susceptible to cross field kicks.

Burton and Staines appear strong options if we’re not happy with what Edwards/Luai are delivering in the spine.

That leads me to the obvious, upgrade hooker. The Kenny/Egan tandem is starting to look good but it’d certainly be an area we could invest in for a quicker upgrade, particularly if the other elements look like coming together for a run.

Looking at the options that would actually be upgrades or long term high ceiling guys I think Brandon Smith or Koroisau would be my key, somewhat realistic, targets.

Thoughts?

13. chrisD

chrisD Coach

Drop RCG and maybe he'll do a DWZ and find a way to piss off, and relieve us of his contract.

14. Crashtest

Crashtest Juniors

Cleary dropped him once already this year, and he went back to reserves and played well and with the right attitude. So totally different response than how DWZ handled things.

It’s probably being way too optimistic, but I’m still hoping he keeps building on his form and is back to his best come finals time.

15. Aliceinwonderland

Aliceinwonderland Juniors

Since Reg was dropped to reggies. He has worked hard, and dare I say perhaps even justifyed his pay packet. (since no one on here actually knows what this is)

Reg in his current form a keeper.

16. Matthew Ellis

Matthew Ellis Juniors

If you had to pick one person who's dragged us into finals contention it's Maloney. If not him then Fisher Harris.

17. Matthew Ellis

Matthew Ellis Juniors

There was a period in 2016 where RCG was the best prop in the world on form. Remember it was towards the backend of the season.
    Money or a starting spot doesn't matter to B Smith. He isn't leaving the Storm he truly loves the club.

18. chrisD

chrisD Coach

There was never a point in time in which RCG was the best prop at Penrith, much less the world.

19. TheFrog

TheFrog Coach

Rabbitohs brought in Farah, would have paid a few bob too (although I think Wests picked up some of the tab), while having an undiscovered 25 year old Damien Cook running around in NSW Cup. Luckily for them, neither Cook nor anyone else knew what was about to happen.

Katoa appears gone. Lets see what the other pair can do before chasing them off as well.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  20. Aliceinwonderland

Aliceinwonderland Juniors

I agree. Both seem to be doing a great job at the moment, and best of all improving each and every week too.