What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
We are all worried about how we are going to keep players this year. As Blade has mentioned next year is even worse.

According to NRL the following players can be approached in Nov 2021.

Edwards
JFH
Kiks
Api
Leota
Tetevano

How much money will we have left after this year and still be able to afford to keep most of these players.

The only players we have locked in for the next 2 years are

Cleary
Martin
Staines
To'o

Hope the juniors have been training hard.
We are going to need them.

There is always decent cheap castoffs to fill the void. If Crichton is as good as he looks then he and the core of players will get us in the finals every year.

Just need to copy the Melbourne model. Of keeping 10 or so key players and moving the rest around

Whino

Bench
Not sure what to make of all this but...........

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rug...e-deal-with-penrith/ar-BB1b1zl6?ocid=msedgdhp

In his own words: Crichton confirms handshake deal with Penrith
Michael Chammas 58 mins ago
The way the Stephen Crichton extension has been handled could explode in the coming days.
The drama surrounding Stephen Crichton's future is set to intensify after the Penrith superstar admitted to a handshake deal with coach Ivan Cleary earlier in the year that his new manager is now refuting.

Nine colleague Danny Weidler reported in The Sun Herald on Sunday that Crichton's new management firm, led by agent Sam Ayoub, were "bemused to say the least" in regards to an alleged $1.5 million handshake deal this column revealed a few weeks ago.

The very notion of the handshake deal's existence is being used as a threat against the club, with Weidler on Sunday reporting "the more that is suggested, the greater the chance there could be a problem".

However, in an interview with The Herald during grand final week, unbeknown to Ayoub and not previously published, Crichton was specifically asked if he had vowed to honour the deal Penrith put forward mid-season, which wasn't signed off on as a courtesy from the club to allow the 20-year-old to leave his former manager Mark Stewart in November.

"I heard that you shook hands with Ivan and said 'I'm not going to change my mind, a deal is a deal'. A verbal agreement. Is that right?" Crichton was asked by The Herald on October 18.

"Yeah, yeah," Crichton replied before hinting that he was going to discard the agreement. "I'm just trying to see what's best for me and my family, especially because I'm the only one at home paying off and helping my mum and dad. I really want to get a good deal, good enough so my parents don't have to work any more.

"I'm the only one at home, I'm the oldest one at home as well because my brothers have all moved out of home with their families and kids. My parents are relying on me so, yeah. I'm just trying to sort out what the best deal is for me and my family and what's really going to help us. I want to stay at Penrith, but, yeah."

Crichton was then pressed on the details of his conversation with the coach which left the club of the opinion that his future was committed to Penrith on the three year, $1.5 million deal.

"I've told Ivan that I really want to stay here," Crichton said last month. "But I just want to see what the best deal for my family is."

The Herald contacted Panthers head of football Matt Cameron on Sunday afternoon, but he declined to comment.

Ayoub's argument that Crichton is worth more than $500,000 is valid. The Blues squad member would likely attract offers of around $600,000 to $700,000 elsewhere, such is the talent he possesses. But Penrith are disappointed with how the version of events have changed over time.

Crichton is contracted to Penrith until the end of 2021, however he is now able to talk to rival clubs after becoming a free agent on November 1. Things will escalate once he comes out of NSW Origin camp on Thursday.

The Panthers face an uphill battle trying to retain all their star juniors, which would be aided by the potential release of fan favourite Josh Mansour before the season. The problem for Penrith is that Mansour is also managed by Ayoub, who is expected to push any savings the club gains from Mansour's likely release towards Crichton's new deal. Penrith want to use some of that money to keep the likes of Jarome Luai and Isaah Yeo at the club beyond the end of next season.

Mansour and Leniu in demand
Speaking of Mansour, the Wests Tigers remain the favourites to secure his services, however the club will not take him on until the end of 2023 as Ayoub is demanding. The 30-year-old was one of the best wingers in the NRL in 2020 and would provide the Tigers with valuable leadership that has been lacking at the joint venture, however his age is a sticking point for the club.

The Tigers are happy to sign him on a two-year deal, but not three. Parramatta are also keen to lure him to the club, which has received glowing recommendations from a number of ex-Panthers in the squad, however it requires Ayoub finding a new home for his other client, Blake Ferguson.

The Panthers may also struggle to keep young prop Spencer Leniu, who is off contract at the end of the year. Penrith offered him a two-year extension before the finals, but at least four clubs have since expressed interest in his services for 2022, including Trent Barrett at the Bulldogs.

A bit of sensationalism there. Nothing new. Blade told us last week Crichton's manager was demanding more and likely to get it.
Might cost us a player though.
I think his agent is doing the usual leak to the press to drive up his price and panic us into paying more.
Cameron was smart not to respond to the article.

WestyLife

First Grade
A bit of sensationalism there. Nothing new. Blade told us last week Crichton's manager was demanding more and likely to get it.
Might cost us a player though.
I think his agent is doing the usual leak to the press to drive up his price and panic us into paying more.
Cameron was smart not to respond to the article.

It's all part of the game managers play. Their loyalty is to the player not the club.

Big Mick

Referee
We are all worried about how we are going to keep players this year. As Blade has mentioned next year is even worse.

According to NRL the following players can be approached in Nov 2021.

Edwards
JFH
Kiks
Api
Leota
Tetevano

How much money will we have left after this year and still be able to afford to keep most of these players.

The only players we have locked in for the next 2 years are

Cleary
Martin
Staines
To'o

Hope the juniors have been training hard.
We are going to need them.

I can see Edwards/Tetevano moving on.

I don't see Kiks, JFH, Api, Leota going.

Need to remember that in 2022, the money from Blake/RCG comes back.

Panthers want Crichton deal
Ending months of speculation, Penrith is ready to sign Stephen Crichton to a new three-year deal.
The Panthers will hold a retention committee meeting on Monday morning where the Crichton deal will be discussed and fast tracked.
Crichton, 19 is under contract until the end of next year, with Penrith’s new deal to take him off the market until after 2024.
"He won't be going anywhere" declared Panthers group chief executive Brian Fletcher.

Negotiations will continue to finalise a deal where we see the young kid stay here hopefully for an extension of three years and then hopefully be a Panther for life.

“When you keep the right players, you want to make sure you’ve got them long-term.

“It will be further discussed on Monday morning. It’s a matter of furthering the deal and then finalising a contract in the best interests of both parties.

“Stephen lives in the local area with Brian To’o and Jarome Luai. He will be a Panther, for sure. We have to look after the kid and we have to look after Penrith and we are confident all that will happen.”

Despite the speculation, Fletcher was adamant that Crichton would remain at the club.

“No, not at all,” he said when asked if he feared Crichton would join a rival.

“Nothing has changed from Penrith’s point of view — the only thing that has changed was that the Crichton family wanted to change manager, which they have now done.”

The following is an extract from today's Daily Telegraph by Dean Ritchie.

The whole article is behind a paywall. I will try later to post it.

Last edited:

WestyLife

First Grade
Ending months of speculation, Penrith is ready to sign Stephen Crichton to a new three-year deal.
The Panthers will hold a retention committee meeting on Monday morning where the Crichton deal will be discussed and fast tracked.
Crichton, 19 is under contract until the end of next year, with Penrith’s new deal to take him off the market until after 2024.
"He won't be going anywhere" declared Panthers group chief executive Brian Fletcher.

The following is an extract from today's Daily Telegraph by Dean Ritchie.

The whole article is behind a paywall. I will try later to post it.

I can when home after 12:30 if needed.

Sime_11

Juniors
This is frustrating that it’s still not done yet, it’s commendable for the club to wait for Stephen to change managers before signing a contract etc - but player managers are downright merkins....

Even more frustrating that this is being played out in the media.

franklin2323

Immortal
This is frustrating that it’s still not done yet, it’s commendable for the club to wait for Stephen to change managers before signing a contract etc - but player managers are downright merkins....

Even more frustrating that this is being played out in the media.

That is how Managers work. Leak to the media to get more money either from the existing club or a rival

Tronald Crump

Juniors
You lot need to chill.
Blade said they would sort out Crichton soon. The article with Fletcher qouted is a good one and suggests just as much.

The Herald article is just a bunch of speculation without any sources. Manager mind games there.

Jane Murray

Bench
You lot need to chill.
Blade said they would sort out Crichton soon. The article with Fletcher qouted is a good one and suggests just as much.

The Herald article is just a bunch of speculation without any sources. Manager mind games there.
What about the other players? His reported increase demands, may see us losing another valuable player.

Jane Murray

Bench
Go for it. There is a bit more in the article and a bit on Burton at the end.
Here's the article, the one I think you're referring to?

125329843_2854278228124358_8668227234855126971_o-jpg.43857

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
Honestly i love Crichton but seeing him try to hold the club to ransom for an even bigger upgrade kind of destroys him re-signing for me.

$500k after one season is insane money already. Not being happy with that and trying to milk more from a club he supposedly loves just doesn't sit right with me. Anything extra he gets is going to come at the expense of other players.

He's a talent but still has a long way to go. With no guarantee he ever reaches his potential. Sadly it's a lose/lose situation for the club. Give in to keep him and we lose someone else.stand our ground and we lose him.

Meanwhile JAC is only earning $480k a season after Storm upgraded him from his $360k a season deal. No way is Crichton worth more than him.

No way can we build a dynasty with players only interested in themselves either. Our culture is wrong to build what Storm have. Sadly one of the few guys with the right mentality for it is required to leave to keep guys who will jump at the first big offer we don't match

Smug Panther

First Grade
Honestly i love Crichton but seeing him try to hold the club to ransom for an even bigger upgrade kind of destroys him re-signing for me.

$500k after one season is insane money already. Not being happy with that and trying to milk more from a club he supposedly loves just doesn't sit right with me. Anything extra he gets is going to come at the expense of other players.

He's a talent but still has a long way to go. With no guarantee he ever reaches his potential. Sadly it's a lose/lose situation for the club. Give in to keep him and we lose someone else.stand our ground and we lose him.

Meanwhile JAC is only earning $480k a season after Storm upgraded him from his $360k a season deal. No way is Crichton worth more than him.

No way can we build a dynasty with players only interested in themselves either. Our culture is wrong to build what Storm have. Sadly one of the few guys with the right mentality for it is required to leave to keep guys who will jump at the first big offer we don't match
Storm are proven cheats who probably still cheat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts