What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings - XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avenger

Immortal
Canberra Raiders half Mitch Cornish desperate for second NRL chance

Departing Canberra Raider Mitch Cornish will get a farewell game against the side he could join next year after a season-ending injury to Blake Austin paved the way for his recall for Sunday's match at Parramatta.

It is understood Cornish has been offered a one-year deal by the Eels to provide cover in the halves for Corey Norman and Kieran Foran.

His selection for the final round clash gives him a golden chance to impress Eels coach Brad Arthur in person and press his claims for an NRL lifeline.

Cornish began the year as coach Ricky Stuart's first choice no.7 but was dumped after four games in favour of Sam Williams, whom he will partner this weekend.

He has managed just two games since, when Williams was injured, and the writing was on the wall for the Junior Kangaroo when the Raiders signed Gold Coast playmaker Aidan Sezer on a three-year deal.

The 22-year-old has also attracted interest from English Super League clubs, headed by Wakefield, but he said after Monday night's win over Penrith he's determined to prove himself in the NRL.

"It's kind of sad but I've got great memories here, and I'll never forget them," he said.

"It's just one of those things. It's unfortunate but a lot of players have gone and come back, you never know what the future holds. "My main goal is to stay in the NRL so hopefully [I can]."I just need a chance and if I could stay in the NRL, it'd be great."

Cornish is confident his best football is still in front of him and should he land at Parramatta, playing alongside an experienced five-eighth in Foran it could take some weight off his shoulders.

"I guess I just needed to mature more [playing NRL early this season]," he said. "I was young, I still am young, and trying to lead a side around is not the easiest thing to do. "Sammy has a lot more experience and is older, to his credit he's taken it with both hands."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook#ixzz3kTQWwy2l

Last edited:

Avenger

Immortal
Would be a good addition. Would mean that Cornish is back-up left half and Kelly would be back-up right half.

It would be a smart move for him. Norman and Foran will both miss games here and there. Cornish will have plenty of opportunties. In addition it is not certain that Norman will stay beyond 2016.

natheel

Coach
If we lose Norman after 2016 Cornish isn't a bad half to have to be partnered with Foran for the future

yy_cheng

Coach
Can you describe what he is like?

Is he a Hodgko or a Sandow or a Pissant Soward

How about Defesively?

oldmancraigy

Coach
He is like a crap version of pissant Soward.

Having said that, there is scope for improvement, as he himself says, he hasn't made the most of his opportunities. Would be better than Kelly, but does that say much?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Should we look at Farah?

I like peats and he is a bloody good hooker but Farah is almost the best hooker in the game. Defensively there isn't much between the two, but Farah is so much better in attack plus has a kicking game.

He could really lift our spine into potentially one of the best.

Sometimes you need to make some tough decisions and if the tigers as rumoured are prepared to pay a fair share of his contract, I reckon we would be crazy not to look at him. When a top player is available on the cheap you seriously need to consider it.

But we would also need to considered how his personality fits into our side.

Gronk

Staff member
Should we look at Farah?

I like peats and he is a bloody good hooker but Farah is almost the best hooker in the game. Defensively there isn't much between the two, but Farah is so much better in attack plus has a kicking game.

Sometimes you need to make some tough decisions and if the tigers as rumoured are prepared to pay a fair share of his contract, I reckon we would be crazy not to look at him. When a top player is available on the cheap you seriously need to consider it.

No thanks.

emjaycee

Coach
Should we look at Farah?

Peats
DeGois
Pritchard
King

Do we really need another number 9?

strider

Post Whore
Peats
DeGois
Pritchard
King

Do we really need another number 9?

"#9s" are the new "backrowers" - you can never have enough

if pritchard could ever manage to get on the field for a period of time I think he'd be great .... he was sensational against the warriors - real shame he got injured

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
"#9s" are the new "backrowers" - you can never have enough

if pritchard could ever manage to get on the field for a period of time I think he'd be great .... he was sensational against the warriors - real shame he got injured

Gee he was good in that game. Appears to pretty good in attack as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts