What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2010/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxhead

First Grade
If Reddy is injured who do you play in the centres? With Wright moving on you will have Atkines or Graham (if he signs) who are both more wingers then centres. Filinga will need to get his game fitness up, but if he performs in trials I would have him in the team come round 1.

We have quite a few players that can play centre. We have Justin Horo, Ben Smith, Ken Sio (perhaps), Jacob Loko (someone has claimed he is being prepped for first-grade next year, IMO it's far too early), etc.

I think Filiga definitely has a good chance at making the first-grade squad next year, but expecting him to go immediately into first-grade when he has been playing in Bundy Cup mostly for a while is a bit of a long-shot IMO. Mind you, I'm not opposed to the idea so much as I think there are better options.

For example, if you move Ben Smith back to the centres for a little while (which isn't a good idea considering his form as a back-rower I think) he wouldn't let us down.
Conversely, if you move Horo to centre (he has played there this season to cover for injury) you can always move Hindy to lock (apparently his real position in the team-the number is meaningless with Hindy) and Shackleton to starting second-row, then have Taniela Lasalo on the bench.

We have a lot of options if Reddy is injured, and I think bringing Filiga into it too early may be a mistake.....granted he has probably been ready for a while, and he can definitely succeed if given the chance, but I think he needs more time than being started next year come Round 1 (if Reddy is injured). Will be interested to see him in the trials though; again, I'm not opposed to this at all, just my belief there are better options at hand.

boxhead

First Grade
Karl's a massive chance of getting some time in the centres this season... forget the backrow

Anybody know TeMaari's status??

Apparently he is best at back-row, but we have an excess of second-rowers in the team and not enough centres, you are definitely right.

Noise

Coach
he's only 18

Wasn't Luke Burt only 18 when he debuted?? didnt seem to hurt his development...And from what ive seen of both in their early days Loko seems like more of a freakish talent - and a hell of a lot bigger!

boxhead

First Grade
Well, Jarryd Hayne made his debut at the age of 18 as well as Israel Folau.........however I think the situation is quite a bit different......

El Diablo

Post Whore
Wasn't Luke Burt only 18 when he debuted?? didnt seem to hurt his development...And from what ive seen of both in their early days Loko seems like more of a freakish talent - and a hell of a lot bigger!

Burt was 17 i'm pretty sure

Noise

Coach
Well, Jarryd Hayne made his debut at the age of 18 as well as Israel Folau.........however I think the situation is quite a bit different......

How so? (im not being a smart arse here) They were/are all freakish young talents with a polynesion background who are great at rugby league. Not to mention they r all big bastards haha The situations seem pretty similar to me. only difference is one went to the AFL

Eelementary

Post Whore

I'm not so sure about that. IF he is mentally ready (a decision only the coach should make), he's already physically large enough - he's what, like 190+cm and 105 kg or so? He's a unit.

boxhead

First Grade
How so? (im not being a smart arse here) They were/are all freakish young talents with a polynesion background who are great at rugby league. Not to mention they r all big bastards haha The situations seem pretty similar to me. only difference is one went to the AFL

I'm not so sure about that. IF he is mentally ready (a decision only the coach should make), he's already physically large enough - he's what, like 190+cm and 105 kg or so? He's a unit.

That is exactly the problem. The kid is still lazy, especially in defence. If he works hard over the off-season he can get rid of this from his game hopefully.

84 Baby

Referee
I think the obvious thing to say is (Tahu take note) if you are a centre getting injured or suspended could see you spending time in Wenty before you make it back to 1st grade. I'd have Tahu & Reddy as centres for round 1, give Loko, Sio & Filiga some time during the trials and if Reddy or Tahu are out then bring up one of them

caylo

Bench
Centres:

Reddy - Injured ATM, who knows when he'll be back
Tahu - indifferent form but is a strike centre
Smith - He was to slow as a centre, now im not sure. definatly not a strike outside back.
Horo - probably better then Smith but is a backrower.
Lasalo - Similar to Horo, again a backrower.
Filiga (untested) - has the potential to be a strike centre.
Brien (untested)
Nasso (untested)

We'll be right.

to be honest we have a centre (Tahu), a defencive centre that is probably best suited to the wing or fullback who is currently injured (Reddy), A backrower who was considered by many to be too slow in the centres (smith) and a bunch of untested blokes one who is still only 18.

I think Filinga has the physical ability to produce in the NRL, it isnt like he is in the forwards and will be out muscled. The guy is bigger then most NRL centres, he boast the physic of Tahu and probably stronger IMO. He'll have the fitness to play in the NRL, the only player I would pick over him as a replacement for Reddy is Lasalo and even that would be a 50/50 call.

Noise

Coach
That is exactly the problem. The kid is still lazy, especially in defence. If he works hard over the off-season he can get rid of this from his game hopefully.

That is a massive call boxy. Have you watched him train? have you got ne missed tackles stats to back this up?

84 Baby

Referee
I think you're assuming he is lazy. There are a heap of factors. The team being dominated for most of the season being the biggest one. Hard to have high level of energy when the opposition have 70% of the ball. Anyway Kearney is supposedly very talkative with the players so hopefully he can help give both Loko & Filiga some career direction

caylo

Bench
I think the obvious thing to say is (Tahu take note) if you are a centre getting injured or suspended could see you spending time in Wenty before you make it back to 1st grade. I'd have Tahu & Reddy as centres for round 1, give Loko, Sio & Filiga some time during the trials and if Reddy or Tahu are out then bring up one of them

I would start with Tahu and Reddy, but if he is reported to be spending 6 months on the side line before he is over his injury then he would be luck to be ready to train by round one let alone be bit enough to play.

boxhead

First Grade
That is a massive call boxy. Have you watched him train? have you got ne missed tackles stats to back this up?

No, I've watched him play quite a bit, even when winning. The kid has got the right attitude, no question, but when I say 'lazy' I think I worded it wrong; it's more that he has to work harder if he wants to be in first-grade.

I think you're assuming he is lazy. There are a heap of factors. The team being dominated for most of the season being the biggest one. Hard to have high level of energy when the opposition have 70% of the ball. Anyway Kearney is supposedly very talkative with the players so hopefully he can help give both Loko & Filiga some career direction

Read above, and yes I know what the factors were. However, Loko has barely been in the Toyota Cup for half a year. Don't expect miracles if he is picked in first-grade next year; you have to remember, in Toyota Cup and the Under 18's he has destroyed his opposition with little effort, a great feat yes but it's quite a bit different in first-grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.