What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2010/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

84 Baby

Referee
Read above, and yes I know what the factors were. However, Loko has barely been in the Toyota Cup for half a year. Don't expect miracles if he is picked in first-grade next year; you have to remember, in Toyota Cup and the Under 18's he has destroyed his opposition with little effort, a great feat yes but it's quite a bit different in first-grade.
I think what you meant is that he has a bit of the early 2009 Hayne about him. Doesn't quite know when to inject himself to his full ability and gets caught out trying to overthink things. On the defensive side, despite his size, he was still a year younger than most of the competition. Though it was only a year, some of those young Warriors got pretty big with that extra year.

I honestly don't think we'll see him in first grade next year but I believe he should get a run in the trials and if he does get a run then he does have the natural ability to maybe hold his position

mrpwnd

Bench
IMO, just give Loko a shot...What's the worst that can happen really?
If he has a poor game we throw him back to NYC/Wenty knowing that he isn't ready yet.
If he has an absolute cracker, then we have a potential star in the making.

Age definitely shouldn't factor into this negatively. If anything i'd like for Mooks to see Loko's young age as a chance to really speed up his growth as a player. The younger they are, the faster they learn.
Ideally, he'd replace Tahu, whether injured or suspended or not wanting to play, assuming Tahu has more shockers in the trials.

boxhead

First Grade
Don't worry, I've got no problems with his age.

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know, someone I have talked with genuinely believes Melbourne and Parramatta are in negotiations about this whole 'Cronk' thing.

This stuff irks me a lot, I don't believe it but here it is; apparently Melbourne want to get more forward depth in their team, and are willing to trade Cronk to Parramatta if we trade them a few decent forwards. The three forwards are Lee Te Maari, Manase Manoukafoa and Brendan Oake.

It sounds vaguely credible and has a genuine reason to it, but as rumours go, remember we are about to sign Matt Orford apparently.
What's intersting is that this person is a senior member where he is and has reported stuff like this before that has been true, and he also completely believes that the 'negotiations' are happening, however he says it is unlikely that the deal will happen.

For those who are attentive as well, you may see that Eels Dude's rumour from a few days ago corresponds with this.

Take from that what you will, just reporting what I am hearing.

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
to be honest we have a centre (Tahu), a defencive centre that is probably best suited to the wing or fullback who is currently injured (Reddy), A backrower who was considered by many to be too slow in the centres (smith) and a bunch of untested blokes one who is still only 18.

I think Filinga has the physical ability to produce in the NRL, it isnt like he is in the forwards and will be out muscled. The guy is bigger then most NRL centres, he boast the physic of Tahu and probably stronger IMO. He'll have the fitness to play in the NRL, the only player I would pick over him as a replacement for Reddy is Lasalo and even that would be a 50/50 call.

I've heard from people that Reddy is, in fact, fine, and will be available for the start of the season.

Lasalo played quite a few games for Wenty in the centres.

Make no mistake - our pairing will be Reddy and Tahu. But if we do suffer severely from injuries and/or suspension, we have Lasalo, Brien, Filiga, Loko, and even Atkins if need be who can step in.

Point is, we're OK.

Eelementary

Post Whore
No, I've watched him play quite a bit, even when winning. The kid has got the right attitude, no question, but when I say 'lazy' I think I worded it wrong; it's more that he has to work harder if he wants to be in first-grade.

Read above, and yes I know what the factors were. However, Loko has barely been in the Toyota Cup for half a year. Don't expect miracles if he is picked in first-grade next year; you have to remember, in Toyota Cup and the Under 18's he has destroyed his opposition with little effort, a great feat yes but it's quite a bit different in first-grade.

I've seen a fair bit of Loko, too, and my bigges criticism of his would be that he seems content to not go actively looking for the ball. But then again, he's a centre. His job isn't to make 50 tackles a game or carry it 20 times a game. He's meant to create opportunities out wide for himself and his winger. And he does that extremely well.

I realise he's young and has very little experience. I am not expecting him to play First Grade in 2011. But I am saying he will play First Grade, and hopefully for Parramatta. Because the kid is a GUN.

Eelementary

Post Whore

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know, someone I have talked with genuinely believes Melbourne and Parramatta are in negotiations about this whole 'Cronk' thing.

This stuff irks me a lot, I don't believe it but here it is; apparently Melbourne want to get more forward depth in their team, and are willing to trade Cronk to Parramatta if we trade them a few decent forwards. The three forwards are Lee Te Maari, Manase Manoukafoa and Brendan Oake.

It sounds vaguely credible and has a genuine reason to it, but as rumours go, remember we are about to sign Matt Orford apparently.
What's intersting is that this person is a senior member where he is and has reported stuff like this before that has been true, and he also completely believes that the 'negotiations' are happening, however he says it is unlikely that the deal will happen.

For those who are attentive as well, you may see that Eels Dude's rumour from a few days ago corresponds with this.

Thanks for the info, boxy.

I find the trade thing rather interesting - Oake, Manukafoa and Ta Maari for Cronk, to me, seems like a great deal. Especially seeing as we need a halfback and we have great depth in the pack now, thanks to the much-criticized additions of Webb and Maitua.

Add Cronk to our squad and we look like a Top 4 calibre team IMO.

boxhead

First Grade

I find the trade thing rather interesting - Oake, Manukafoa and Ta Maari for Cronk, to me, seems like a great deal. Especially seeing as we need a halfback and we have great depth in the pack now, thanks to the much-criticized additions of Webb and Maitua.

Yeah no worries mate, again I have no idea as to how truthful it is, just reporting what I hear; would be great to get Cronk :) Massively slim chances though......

Also, may have some more information for you guys later tonight.

Noise

Coach

That deal does sounds too good to be true. Id trade the whole of wenty for cronk :lol: Although i have this inkling that tamaari might come good in 2011. I base this on absolutely nothing other than a gut feeling.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yeah no worries mate, again I have no idea as to how truthful it is, just reporting what I hear; would be great to get Cronk :) Massively slim chances though......

Also, may have some more information for you guys later tonight.

Thanks for your efforts, boxy. Much appreciated.

That deal does sounds too good to be true. Id trade the whole of wenty for cronk :lol: Although i have this inkling that tamaari might come good in 2011. I base this on absolutely nothing other than a gut feeling.

I also rate Ta Maari, but it seems we have plenty of depth to cover his potential loss. Everyone seems to have huge raps on Pat O'Hanlon.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
boxhead, I've got 2 words for you: circular reporting.

And Reddy is the type of centre every club needs - a solid first grader in both attack and defence, making the average wage and not taking up too much of the salary cap.

It's guys like him, not Hayne, who are most likely to play out his whole career with the Eels.

eel01s

Bench
Wow - I posted (jokingly) in another thread that I would trade Manase, Oake and Pele for Cronk - as Meatloaf sang "Two out of three ain't bad".

Seriously though, why on earth would Melbourne want those three??? Is Oake still on our books? If he is then surely on a minimum contract?

boxhead

First Grade
Wow - I posted (jokingly) in another thread that I would trade Manase, Oake and Pele for Cronk - as Meatloaf sang "Two out of three ain't bad".

Seriously though, why on earth would Melbourne want those three??? Is Oake still on our books? If he is then surely on a minimum contract?

The rumour is that Melbourne desperately want to strengthen their forward depth......Oake, Manase and Te Maari are all good players and would all do wonders for their depth.

That's the rumour.

I'm not going to comment on how unlikely it is as I don't want you guys to get your hopes up or down......

Stagger eel

Staff member

mate Lee Te Maari and Brendon Oake are not contracted to the club!!!...lol

yy_cheng

Coach
unless Bellyache has a 6 or 7 in the wings as he has lost finch too.

Maybe he thinks that if we give him the 3 forwards for Cronk - they should be cheap and he can do wonders for cheap blokes, he can use Cronk's money to buy ORFORD.

Wouldn't that be interesting.

mrpwnd

Bench
unless Bellyache has a 6 or 7 in the wings as he has lost finch too.

Maybe he thinks that if we give him the 3 forwards for Cronk - they should be cheap and he can do wonders for cheap blokes, he can use Cronk's money to buy ORFORD.

Wouldn't that be interesting.
b-b-b-but Bellyache is origin coach!

boxhead

First Grade
Guys I know how dumb it sounds, as I said, just reporting what I am hearing.

Don't shoot the messenger, I keep saying I don't believe this stuff.
I am just posting stuff so that you know all the rumours going around....this is a rumoured signings thread after all.

By the way, can we please get this topic back in order? It has gone massively off-topic at recent intervals.....just curious, not saying anything against anyone or condemning anyone, it's just that the topic really needs to get back into shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts