What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gronk

Staff member
While the Eels were unwilling to wait any longer for a decision from Orford, as he strives to gain a release from Bradford, it is believed that instability at the Parramatta club over the past 18 months contributed to the 32-year-old's reluctance to sign on the dotted line.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/eels-face-the-orford-truth/story-fn6e0tx4-1225961956799

Oh please, he doesn't even have a release yet :lol:

Journos and their agendas

The fact that he has not been granted a release as yet does not mean that Orford was not calling the shots. It's well reported that Bradford have agreed to allowing him to break his contract, subject to a transfer fee. Ultimately that is something that is either paid by the incoming club, the player or a combination of both.

It's not drawing a long bow that he chose not to take pay cut because we are a mess. After all, is there a bigger basketcase of a club in the NRL than us ? Sure Sharks and Cowboys show poor form on the field, but which team is always in the papers for all the wrong reasons ?

Is it simply bad luck that every gun #7 out there got close to signing with us in the past 3 months but pulled the pin at the last moment ?

mickdo

Coach
Is it simply bad luck that every gun #7 out there got close to signing with us in the past 3 months but pulled the pin at the last moment ?

Considering all the 'gun' 7's were still under contract, I think you are the one drawing a very long bow

Gronk

Staff member
Considering all the 'gun' 7's were still under contract, I think you are the one drawing a very long bow

Yep you're absolutely right. Clearly the Board (and their CEO) have NFI as they have been trying to recruit players who are locked up under contracts.

Bigfella

Coach
Pretty clear that the usual nuffies will use this as an excuse to bag the board and undermine the club with the usual negative spin.

Miserable gits.

eels81236

Bench
Pretty clear that the usual nuffies will use this as an excuse to bag the board and undermine the club with the usual negative spin.

Miserable gits.

I know. Fancy always backing the same side on every issue. It's as if their views are biased....

Eels Dude

Coach
Why aren't you impressed mate? I know your opinion of our halves so I won't question that but what I mean is, who else do we look to? Robson and Mortimer are our only proven first-grade halves, unfortunately.
Kearney may take the risk on Murray, Humble and so on; just wait and see ok? :)

Because he shouldn't be singleing out which players to say that to after two weeks in the job, he should be saying that to all of the players who have the ability to play half (Humble, Maguire, Murray etc) and that their commitment and form during the off season shall determine who gets those spots. Mortimor and Robson shouldnt be a walk up halves combo next year after our poor 2010 and he should be making that clear to them as well.

boxhead

First Grade
Because he shouldn't be singleing out which players to say that to after two weeks in the job, he should be saying that to all of the players who have the ability to play half (Humble, Maguire, Murray etc) and that their commitment and form during the off season shall determine who gets those spots. Mortimor and Robson shouldnt be a walk up halves combo next year after our poor 2010 and he should be making that clear to them as well.

If he already has a preference and has realized that our other young halves are unproven as first-grade halves then he has every right to say Mortimer and Robson have preference if they actually want to put in the hard yards.
Did you miss the part where he basically inferred that if they don't work hard then they are goners? He is keeping his options open, he believes that Mortimer and Robson are our first preference and seems to not see the point in risking those other players.

Did you maybe think that he is going off reports from his own coaching staff, that he has studied each of our potential options before coming to us? It makes perfect sense that a coach would sound out his options in advance, considering it is a huge issue at the Eels and one he is expected to solve. And plus, what makes you think he hasn't told our other potential halves to work hard and if they do work hard they could be rewarded and get the job?
Just because he has told Mortimer and Robson they are the preferred halves at this stage- which he has every right to considering they are our only proven first-grade halves - doesn't mean he has said they are definitely going to be the starters.

Ultimately, Kearney has every right to say who has preference at the moment. Did you think that perhaps he may change his view if the others impress? Kearney isn't an idiot, I don't see why you have to make an issue of this.

Eels Dude

Coach
If he already has a preference and has realized that our other young halves are unproven as first-grade halves then he has every right to say Mortimer and Robson have preference if they actually want to put in the hard yards.
Did you miss the part where he basically inferred that if they don't work hard then they are goners? He is keeping his options open, he believes that Mortimer and Robson are our first preference and seems to not see the point in risking those other players.

Did you maybe think that he is going off reports from his own coaching staff, that he has studied each of our potential options before coming to us? It makes perfect sense that a coach would sound out his options in advance, considering it is a huge issue at the Eels and one he is expected to solve. And plus, what makes you think he hasn't told our other potential halves to work hard and if they do work hard they could be rewarded and get the job?
Just because he has told Mortimer and Robson they are the preferred halves at this stage- which he has every right to considering they are our only proven first-grade halves - doesn't mean he has said they are definitely going to be the starters.

Ultimately, Kearney has every right to say who has preference at the moment. Did you think that perhaps he may change his view if the others impress? Kearney isn't an idiot, I don't see why you have to make an issue of this.

I'm not making an issue out of this. I am commenting on the article as everyone has a right to, and that's my opinion. This is a forum after all and if someone doesn't agree with you then get over it.

This off season fluff pieces are always going to be over analysed, and you more than anyone are guilty of that. I take different meaning out of what is said, as do a lot of others. Live with it.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Well I guess that's our recruitment done.

If you had asked me 6months ago for a worse case scenario, I guess this would have been it. Although I wouldn't have had my worse case quite this bad.

Looks like we signed Maitua, Webb, and Walker because nobody else wanted them and who else would want to come to Parra.

Parra Pride

Coach

If you had asked me 6months ago for a worse case scenario, I guess this would have been it. Although I wouldn't have had my worse case quite this bad.

Looks like we signed Maitua, Webb, and Walker because nobody else wanted them and who else would want to come to Parra.

Bit unfair to cast judgement on our recruitment until we at least see how well those players you have mentioned, plus others, perform next year. You won't be calling it a 'worse case scenario' if these blokes come out and play as good as they have played in the past.

Stagger eel

Staff member

Maitua had an offer on the table from the wests tigers.
Webb had an offer from Newcastle.
Walker had an offer from Penrith..

but hey, I guess claiming that no one else wanted them does support your arguement a bit more..

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Bit unfair to cast judgement on our recruitment until we at least see how well those players you have mentioned, plus others, perform next year. You won't be calling it a 'worse case scenario' if these blokes come out and play as good as they have played in the past.

Guess so. The only way is up from here.

hindy111

Post Whore
pieter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers how many pickled peppers did pieter pipper pick??

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Yep you're absolutely right. Clearly the Board (and their CEO) have NFI as they have been trying to recruit players who are locked up under contracts.

Game, set and match - Checkmate - You are one very clever boy Gronk!:lol::lol::lol:

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Round and round the mulberry bush,
the monkey chased the weasel.
The monkey stopped to pull up his socks,
POP goes the weasel.

Ouch!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts