What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Colonel

Immortal
Rub a dub dub three men in a tub.

And how do you think they got there?

Voted in by the fans apparently because change was wanted...... ;-) mind you the old board probably wouldn't have done any better anyways.

Really given the lack of halfback options that were off contract for next year - (Scott Dureau, Arana Taumata, Trent Hodkinson, Brett Finch) - was there ever really a choice for the board other than to chase players who were likely to retire or may be able to gain a release. Dureau can't hold the job at Newcastle, Taumata is a basket case and Fnch, well we have been down that track and don't really need to go back.

Of the four that were viable options, only Hodkinson was probably the most likely choice and was snapped up in a really good deal by the Dogs and he too has only played one season in first grade. When the Eagles can't compete with a deal you know he is on some decent coin.

The lack of options this year and even next in terms of who are off contract need for us to rely on what we currently have and with some luck the likes of Brad Murray or Cameron Bruest (Marmin Barba or one of our other juniors) manage to come through.

I'm keen to see what the new coach can do with a decidely more settled roster that will have to rely heavily on its forward pack to perform very well to give the backs some room.

lucablight

First Grade
Tim Smith was available last year at minimum wage. I still maintain we should have signed him when we had the chance.

To think we could have had a spine of 1.) Hayne 6.) Mateo 7. Smith 9.) Kingston if we had played our cards right. What a missed opportunity!

The Colonel

Immortal
I agree Colonel. Unfortunately there were no halves available.
Personally the club has taken the best option and chased halves that may take a year or two to come through and we may not have to pay massive overs for. Barba, Murray and Bruest come with decent resumes. Would have liked to have seen the club hold on to Jason Seage or even looked to sign Sam Williams from the Raiders NYC. The last one does depend on his contract down there.

As a halfback though I beleive any that come to the club have massive shoes to fill for a start and a huge job to win over the fans. If they can't win over the fans for a start they are on a big climb.......

The Colonel

Immortal
Tim Smith was available last year at minimum wage. I still maintain we should have signed him when we had the chance.

To think we could have had a spine of 1.) Hayne 6.) Mateo 7. Smith 9.) Kingston if we had played our cards right. What a missed opportunity!

And Tim still can't hold down the job at Cronulla fighting it out against Albert Kelly and Scott Porter. Get over it...... was never going to be a viable option, never will be.

lucablight

First Grade
And Tim still can't hold down the job at Cronulla fighting it out against Albert Kelly and Scott Porter. Get over it...... was never going to be a viable option, never will be.

He finished the season in first grade over Albert Kelly and Scott Porter. How was he not a viable option over Robson and Mortimer at halfback?

Eels Dude

Coach
I don't think the club wanted to associate themselves with Tim Smith anyway, if he was going to be a success at NRL level again a fresh start was needed.

mrpwnd

Bench
I don't care too much about having Tim Smith back other than for the nostialga value.
However, his form next year could decide whether I continue to not care or think 'another eels junior to bite us in the ass'.

And heck, we couldn't beat the sharks once this year.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
In the members email a while back Ozzy mentioned a couple of exciting announcements. I haven't heard any exciting announcements yet so hopefully they turn out to be good. Hope it's this week. Wednesday?

Gronk

Staff member
In the members email a while back Ozzy mentioned a couple of exciting announcements. I haven't heard any exciting announcements yet so hopefully they turn out to be good. Hope it's this week. Wednesday?

I have a feeling that this week will be huge.

SDM

First Grade
Hopefully we withdraw the offer to Tahu before he signs, and use the money to sign all of the Walker brothers.

StEely Matt

Juniors
This thread reminds me of "The Bold and the Beautiful," in that you could watch an episode, not watch it for a month, then come back and watch an episode and they will still be talking about the same stuff that they were a month ago, and nothing has changed.

And no comments about who of the users are "Bold" and ultimately who are "Beautiful"... I am sure the usual's will be loving that opportunity!

Gronk

Staff member
This thread reminds me of "The Bold and the Beautiful," in that you could watch an episode, not watch it for a month, then come back and watch an episode and they will still be talking about the same stuff that they were a month ago, and nothing has changed.

And no comments about who of the users are "Bold" and ultimately who are "Beautiful"... I am sure the usual's will be loving that opportunity!

I'm not part of the production. I simply watch quietly from the side of stage. ;-)

heck.jpg

hindy111

Post Whore
Hmmm i just keep hearing we have 700 grand to spend and if tahu dont come back would be a million??
That seems a long way off the salary cap....

Eels Dude

Coach
Hmmm i just keep hearing we have 700 grand to spend and if tahu dont come back would be a million??
That seems a long way off the salary cap....

That 700k wouldn't include Tahu's contract as he's only just agreed to terms for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts