What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
Franklin and I both said we'd romp in the 2021 and 2022 comps. Now we are saying we are in a tough period, out of this whole site who has the runs on the board as far as predictions?

1000%.

I was smashed in 2021 when I said we are winning the comp, either when Cleary went down.

Round 3 last year I called us going undefeated until Round 10 and winning the comp - Again smashed.

Now I see an average squad and call it... still are smashed

Girds89

Bench
1000%.

I was smashed in 2021 when I said we are winning the comp, either when Cleary went down.

Round 3 last year I called us going undefeated until Round 10 and winning the comp - Again smashed.

Haha.. mate you have had one of the worst predictions of all time in cleary going to only be an nrl hooker at best... never an nrl half-back...

When in reality if he stays injury free there's every chance he will be the best player to ever play the game...

No one doubted we were a great chance of winning the comp the last few years...

No one bought into the crazy 1000% secure views you had because the game is soooo dependent on injuries.

Like it or not but 21 and 22 we had one of the kindest injury runs of any team... which you have too to win a comp.

But I think most people just realised that if kiks or api or yeo went down injured for a long period it would massively hurt our chances...

Thankfully it didn't happen and the rest is history.

No one is smashing you this year at all.

I said before a ball was kicked this year I thought we'd struggle without kiks and api.. and we are.

But you don't need to be a genius to work that out. Anyone with half a brain would know that was going to be the case.

We don't have an avg squad. We have a very good squad. But we lack depth in one or two areas.

This year is a chance for Ivan to show what he can do as a coach.

I'm not writing this year off.

I just think he needs to take a few chances to get us firing.

Yes we lack a bit of class but the last 2/3 years we have played safe footy.

We don't offload... we don't do short drop outs.. we don't play risky coming out of our own end.

Some things will have to change for us to be dangerous this year...

Staying healthy as a squad is the biggest one like any other squad.

Spencer getting more minutes.

Luke staying fit and getting longer minutes.

Experimenting with 2nd row till we get a good blend...

Get those things right and we can be dangerous.

We have the best halfback in the comp and he's best years are ahead of him.

Plenty of good can come from this year..

Ivan just needs to be brave. He is a very conservative coach. I hope mav gets a go at origin time.. McLean for too etc.. no put going Jenkins as he'd only be warming the wing for McLean.

A team with yeo, fish, Martin, cleary, luai, cleary, Edwards, too is always going to be a good team.

We are a development club.. lets give mav a chance. I know he has to wait till mid season but like I said before a ball was kicked this year he has to be fast tracked. He should be doing an extra 5-8hrs a week in the gym and on the paddock with big T or big joe..

Ivan's always held blokes back.

If Ivan was still here when Nathan was coming in he'd have held him back 18months longer...

Look at teague.. katoa. Give em a go.

I'd rather back mav geyer than watch garner warm his seat and plod

Iamback

Coach
Haha.. mate you have had one of the worst predictions of all time in cleary going to only be an nrl hooker at best... never an nrl half-back...

When in reality if he stays injury free there's every chance he will be the best player to ever play the game...

No one doubted we were a great chance of winning the comp the last few years...

No one bought into the crazy 1000% secure views you had because the game is soooo dependent on injuries.

Like it or not but 21 and 22 we had one of the kindest injury runs of any team... which you have too to win a comp.

But I think most people just realised that if kiks or api or yeo went down injured for a long period it would massively hurt our chances...

Thankfully it didn't happen and the rest is history.

No one is smashing you this year at all.

I said before a ball was kicked this year I thought we'd struggle without kiks and api.. and we are.

But you don't need to be a genius to work that out. Anyone with half a brain would know that was going to be the case.

We don't have an avg squad. We have a very good squad. But we lack depth in one or two areas.

This year is a chance for Ivan to show what he can do as a coach.

I'm not writing this year off.

I just think he needs to take a few chances to get us firing.

Yes we lack a bit of class but the last 2/3 years we have played safe footy.

We don't offload... we don't do short drop outs.. we don't play risky coming out of our own end.

Some things will have to change for us to be dangerous this year...

Staying healthy as a squad is the biggest one like any other squad.

Spencer getting more minutes.

Luke staying fit and getting longer minutes.

Experimenting with 2nd row till we get a good blend...

Get those things right and we can be dangerous.

We have the best halfback in the comp and he's best years are ahead of him.

Plenty of good can come from this year..

Ivan just needs to be brave. He is a very conservative coach. I hope mav gets a go at origin time.. McLean for too etc.. no put going Jenkins as he'd only be warming the wing for McLean.

A team with yeo, fish, Martin, cleary, luai, cleary, Edwards, too is always going to be a good team.

We are a development club.. lets give mav a chance. I know he has to wait till mid season but like I said before a ball was kicked this year he has to be fast tracked. He should be doing an extra 5-8hrs a week in the gym and on the paddock with big T or big joe..

Ivan's always held blokes back.

If Ivan was still here when Nathan was coming in he'd have held him back 18months longer...

Look at teague.. katoa. Give em a go.

I'd rather back mav geyer than watch garner warm his seat and plod

Do you think we don't get Api, run out with

6. Luai
7. Burton
9. Cleary

We don't still go back to back?

Remembering at the time Api was as good as gone to the Dogs, just like now we had no 9's

As for changes.
We have 4 guys in NSW Cup that played SG Ball last year so they aren't going to get a run yet.

Filling the squad out with guys like Chris Smith etc instead of a different style is a is where they went wrong

We will make the finals but won't go close to a GF

Girds89

Bench
Do you think we don't get Api, run out with

6. Luai
7. Burton
9. Cleary

We don't still go back to back?

Remembering at the time Api was as good as gone to the Dogs, just like now we had no 9's

As for changes.
We have 4 guys in NSW Cup that played SG Ball last year so they aren't going to get a run yet.

Filling the squad out with guys like Chris Smith etc instead of a different style is a is where they went wrong

We will make the finals but won't go close to a GF

Omg haha. Your an intelligent bloke. Obviously have a footy brain but you are absolutely kidding yourself if you think we win back to back comps with
6. Luai
7. Burton

Haha.. I enjoy your posts but you always struggle to admit when you've been wrong about something yet happy to brag in something when you've made a call..

I've always been in the Burton will be a great middle/13 or centre camp. He has never really killed it at 6 for the dogs all be it in an avg team... yet somehow now you think we'd have won back to back with him in the 7.... hahahha come on seriously...

No.. just no.

He's a good player. He has a long way to go to hit his potential. A long long way. He isn't a 7. He isn't a traditional playmaker. That's why he has struggled a lot the last 2 years cause flanno sucks and he doesn't have the organising side to his game..

He is a runner of the ball..

I can categorically say we wouldn't of won the comp with that combo you suggest.

Nathan is the best half in the game..

Burton isn't even I'm the top 7 or 8..

Cleary
Munster
Hughes
Walker
Dce
Townsend
Moses
Reynolds
Hynes

Are all better than him atm.

Luai and Brown about on par.

Iamback

Coach
Omg haha. Your an intelligent bloke. Obviously have a footy brain but you are absolutely kidding yourself if you think we win back to back comps with
6. Luai
7. Burton

Haha.. I enjoy your posts but you always struggle to admit when you've been wrong about something yet happy to brag in something when you've made a call..

I've always been in the Burton will be a great middle/13 or centre camp. He has never really killed it at 6 for the dogs all be it in an avg team... yet somehow now you think we'd have won back to back with him in the 7.... hahahha come on seriously...

No.. just no.

He's a good player. He has a long way to go to hit his potential. A long long way. He isn't a 7. He isn't a traditional playmaker. That's why he has struggled a lot the last 2 years cause flanno sucks and he doesn't have the organising side to his game..

He is a runner of the ball..

I can categorically say we wouldn't of won the comp with that combo you suggest.

Nathan is the best half in the game..

Burton isn't even I'm the top 7 or 8..

Cleary
Munster
Hughes
Walker
Dce
Townsend
Moses
Reynolds
Hynes

Are all better than him atm.

Luai and Brown about on par.

he struggled because the dogs have a poorly built side, No one does the hard stuff especially in the pack

Interesting of those halves you listed many started in other positions

You assume Cleary wouldn't do what Cam Smith did at the Storm though. He ran and organised their attack.

He also became a 9 due to them having decent halves at the time

Girds89

Bench
he struggled because the dogs have a poorly built side, No one does the hard stuff especially in the pack

Interesting of those halves you listed many started in other positions

You assume Cleary wouldn't do what Cam Smith did at the Storm though. He ran and organised their attack.

He also became a 9 due to them having decent halves at the time

No.

He struggled because he played barely any games at 6 in the top grade at panthers.

He was stuck behind luai and Nathan.

He had to slot in else where and killed it at centre where his running game suits.

He lacks the creativity of an elite 7... let alone an elite 6. ..

Walker and Munster are probably the elite 6s in the game in terms of creativity and Burton is nowhere...nowhere near there level.

Make all the excuses for him you like but he's been underwhelming so far for them as I expected.

Can he develop into a top 6... probably but he needs an established 7. He is not a director.

Smith guided there attack. He was a freak but cronk was there director. He laid on the plays. He made the calls.

Sure Nathan would make a good 9.. that's cause he's the best player in the game... he'd be a great 6... he'd be a great 9..

But he's the best 7 in the game.. and tracking to be the best of all time and 7 is the most important position on the field.

Cam Smith was always a 9.. always. He started that way coming into grade and he finished that way.

Cleary was always a 7. And he'll finish that way.

Smith lacked the speed to be a 7. He had a good long kicking game but not much variety..

The best 9 to play the game ever but they are two very different positions and the idea or thought train that one could just transition to the other is just silly.

Cook would never be a 7. Same with Api etc..

Different skill sets.

1000%.

There were a number of people on this site saying that we were a good team and were deserved favourites. Only one of us went on over and over again that we would go undefeated till round 12.

He was wrong.

Latest posts