What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

I presume this signing is for IF Martin doesn't re-sign

In which case we have lost 3 top backrowers and replaced with above average guys

Roosters needed a 9 went and bought Brandon Smith have added Spencer to replace JWH. Dom Young to replace Tupou.

When is the last established guy we have brought here in Ivan's time?
And Melbourne sent Grant on loan before Smith's retirement. We should implement in loaning out someone in key positions just before the lose the guy above him.

Original Name

Juniors
Well Wilton won't come IF Martin re-signs.

Hosking was signed on the cheap
Sorensen signed on the cheap
Garner - admitted to taking a pay cut to come here
Capewell again signed on the cheap.

That is what Ivan does get cheap backrowers that have a limited skillset
I don't understand what being signed on the cheap has to do with being a ploddder. Shouldn't the word ploddder refer to guys who plod?

Blade has said his manager is probably just using differemt clubs to bump up his price at the sharks. He's probably not coming anyway.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I still don’t get all the “Ivan loves plodders” comments.

With the salary cap, no club can have a whole team full of star players. You need some that are solid and reliable and can do a role.

All coaches do this, even the Bellamy, Robinson and Bennett.

I believe that phrase 'ivan loves plodders' is a lazy and shallow comment.

Amongst the highly skilled (high prced) players, Ivan adds players who are desperate and hungry for a start (within a good structure)

This is a low risk way of building a team. These hungry players are not plodders, just players on the rise who shine within our framework,

Capewell, Sorreson, et al are examples of that. They are hardly 'plodders'

I don’t understand some of the people on here. There are complaints when we can’t re-sign players like Kiks, Api, Burton etc, and then want us to go out into the market and pick up marquee signings. I was as disappointed as anyone to lose Spencer, but I don’t think the club has done anything wrong.

And as @BxTom said above; all of this has been happening while successful, where the lower paid players brought into the club have done a great job and allowed the juniors coming through opportunities to flourish. Ivan’s roster management has been fantastic; I think some on here have forgotten the dark days when we sign players to long deals and end up paying them to play for Parra…

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I don’t understand some of the people on here. There are complaints when we can’t re-sign players like Kiks, Api, Burton etc, and then want us to go out into the market and pick up marquee signings. I was as disappointed as anyone to lose Spencer, but I don’t think the club has done anything wrong.

And as @BxTom said above; all of this has been happening while successful, where the lower paid players brought into the club have done a great job and allowed the juniors coming through opportunities to flourish. Ivan’s roster management has been fantastic; I think some on here have forgotten the dark days when we sign players to long deals and end up paying them to play for Parra…
The signings have been good apart from not getting a hooker.
Losing Api, Kiks and Critter in one go while offering them contracts is a worry. We surely have cash to spend if needed

Iamback

Coach

We have done better than Average. It is like they are too scared to open the chequebook. Sometimes it is needed

You yourself have big wraps on Spencer, Throw him in the list of could of stayed. Likely replaced internally

Crashtest

Juniors
You yourself have big wraps on Spencer, Throw him in the list of could of stayed. Likely replaced internally

Could of stayed, but chose to sign with the Roosters rather than wait for a starting middle role. As Cold Wet Panther said, the club did nothing wrong.

What do you have against replacing internally? We are a development club, so if we we’re to go to market like the Roosters example you gave before, then those next in line will just sign elsewhere to get an opportunity.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Could of stayed, but chose to sign with the Roosters rather than wait for a starting middle role. As Cold Wet Panther said, the club did nothing wrong.

What do you have against replacing internally? We are a development club, so if we we’re to go to market like the Roosters example you gave before, then those next in line will just sign elsewhere to get an opportunity.
The development club thing is true and the clubs has done amazing things but we did strike gold with a crop of guns all at once.

Spencer should have been playing more minutes last year but is that on him or the club? Or both

Blade23

Juniors
The signings have been good apart from not getting a hooker.
Losing Api, Kiks and Critter in one go while offering them contracts is a worry. We surely have cash to spend if needed

All 3 were offered overs elsewhere. Hindsight we pay overs and keep one. Api imo. I wouldn't pay overs for Kikau. Years 3 and 4 could be a worry.

If we extend Luai, Martin and Edwards we have enough for a mid ranger.

Last edited:

Crashtest

Juniors
Spencer should have been playing more minutes last year but is that on him or the club? Or both

That’s a good question. With the team first high performance culture that the club has developed over the last few years, I think it is purely on the player.

If Spencer had been capable of playing more minutes last year at the high standards expected, he would of gotten them. The self entitled Panther junior days ended when Gould left, and the club paying to get rid of DWZ, RCG and Blake helped to set a culture, standard and expectation moving forward that all players now have to live up to.