What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Haven’t seen much evidence of him improving the Tigers defence (through moving both sides around?)

Are you sure you still want to die on this horse? We won. the comp! But even if you still do, I will ask you the same question I do every time you bring this up. Who should we have let go at the end of 2023 to keep him?
Seeing who we have lost. We could have kept him easy but I've already said our management is doing fantastic and made one little slip to try keep others. Is what it is. I'm not complaining I'm just talking footy

We're up by thirty at half time with Api on the field.

Kenny did a tremendous job to become a mediocre attacking hooker this season (great in defence though) but Api would have killed Brisbane with all that ball.
I disagree with that. The ruck was so slow in the first half I am not sure Api would have made a huge amount of difference.

Pomoz

Bench
The lack of points for that amount of ball was a concern at halftime

Compare that to last year and being up 18-0... that shows the difference in the class of the sides
Well Luai wasn't fit and that had a big impact on our attack. Gutsy effort though. In any case our game plan is usually to run down teams at the end because we have exhausted them during the game and that is what happened. They were out on their feet in the last 20 min after that dominant opening period in the first half.

Well Luai wasn't fit and that had a big impact on our attack. Gutsy effort though. In any case our game plan is usually to run down teams at the end because we have exhausted them during the game and that is what happened. They were out on their feet in the last 20 min after that dominant opening period in the first half.
100% totally correct and has been the Panthers way for quite a few years now.
Since Ivan came back we stopped the dumb offloads and started to grind teams to submission.
We used to give up 14 points constantly but still roll over the top of teams late in the game.
The flashy stuff is still there but success has come from the "put them on the ground" mentality. The really good big players in the comp don't like the constant climbing off the ground and it takes its toll late in games.

Please don't change the style Ivan.

Bred not Bought

Juniors
The lack of points for that amount of ball was a concern at halftime

Compare that to last year and being up 18-0... that shows the difference in the class of the sides

Brisbane were a better foe than Parramatta. They actually didn't shit the bed after 10 minutes. That came much later.

But I agree with the consensus. We should have been up by more at HT.
When Flegler crashed over to make it 8-6 that was an insult to our dominance.
We wasted opportunities in the first half.

Black Magik

Juniors
Brisbane have found a style of play that suits them while every other club is trying to emulate Pantherball. Hello Bulldogs and Tigers, I’m talking to you 🤣

Munky

Coach
Brisbane were a better foe than Parramatta. They actually didn't shit the bed after 10 minutes. That came much later.

Both teams blew a near certain win in the GF.

Penrith should have been up by three tries at half time with the possession and Brisbane had the game won sixty minutes in.

I still don’t think Flegler scored. The replays never showed the ball touching the try line.

Kilkenny

Coach
I still don’t think Flegler scored. The replays never showed the ball touching the try line.
I’ve watched it goodness knows how many times and I agree we will never know for sure.

The thing that sways the debate is Yeo never really questioned the decision so on that basis I guess we have to accept he got the ball down. He was right there.

maple_69

Bench
We were always going to concede a few tries like the 3 Mam tries. There’s no way you can contain the strike of guys like Mam/Walsh completely when they have multiple points of attack. We shut Turbo down because he is it for Manly and Munster for Melbourne lately. The Flegler try was the kicker. We should have gone in up 14-0 based on that half and I imagine there’s a very different mindset for a young team coming out in the second half against a legendary team who has completely dominated you for the whole first half and tends to come over the top. 8-6 paved the way for the flurry.

I don’t want our patient play style to change but I do think we need to get a touch more clinical in attack. We often lack that one try to really make things comfortable and demoralise the opposition. When we’re playing with a team on their tryline for 5-10 minutes we need to just have those few plays that we pull out, bag a try that they just can’t defend against and then reset.

Without it, we risk the 2 out of 10 chance that a better attacking team like Souths or Brisbane, pull off the streaky plays to break the strangle and actually execute the rope-a-dope in a big game. They both almost did it in 21/23.

If we can add that try, it’s tough to see anyone getting between us and 5/6 in a row. Even Brisbane were nowhere near matching us in the arm wrestle and that side was streets ahead of any side of the last 2 years.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Have you forgotten about Burton, Lenui, Critta, Ap, Kik.......all signed with other clubs. All said how they wanted to have 'One last ride with the Bros'.......I can't see Jarome doing anything different.

Nrl is very different to a workplace.....Penrith have a reputation of having 'one last ride'. This won't be any different.

If I remember have this conversation this time last with you, and maybe even the year before.

I hope Jarome chooses to stay......but if he leaves. One last ride.

Time will tell I guess.

If his heart is in it and he can put all this bullshit behind him to play one more season with us professionally, then I’m all ears.

The thing about Capewell, Burton, Leniu, Kikau, Koroisau, Crichton, Cogger, etc is that they tended not to shoot their mouths off on Insta or some other Social Media platform when things weren’t going their way, and let their footy skills on the field do the talking for them instead.

Romey, I’m not so sure. I.e. His response on Insta to what Ivan said publicly about his prospects of being a key playmaker, lacked maturity for mine and there wasn’t anything inaccurate, let alone wrong with what Ivan said.

In any case, am so over it. I just wish he’d make his mind up and put pen to paper somewhere so the club knows where it stands. After all, we still have Mitch and Sunia to secure for 2025 and beyond and with the money we were going to offer Romey to stay, we even possibly could go into the market for more depth.

Last edited:
Time will tell I guess.

If his heart is in it and he can put all this bullshit behind him to play one more season with us professionally, then I’m all ears.

The thing about Capewell, Burton, Leniu, Kikau, Koroisau, Crichton, Cogger, etc is that they tended not to shoot their mouths off on Insta or some other Social Media platform when things weren’t going their way, and let their footy skills on the field do the talking for them.

Romey, I’m not so sure. I.e. His response on Insta to what Ivan said publicly about his prospects of being a key playmaker, lacked maturity for mine and there wasn’t anything inaccurate, let alone wrong with what Ivan said.

In any case, am so over it. I just wish he’d make his mind up and put pen to paper somewhere so the club knows where it stands. After all, we still have Mitch and Sunia to secure for 2025 and beyond and with the money we were going to offer Romey to stay, we even possibly could go into the market for more depth.
What Ivan said wasn't offensive, nor was the comment inflammatory.

Kilkenny

Coach
I read somewhere a couple of days ago Jersey Flegg and NSW Cup (played a couple of games of the bench this season) player Peter Taateo has joined the Raiders on a train and trial deal.

Pjf04b

Juniors
Couldn’t agree more. Flegler grounded the ball short. How the Bunker even awarded that in a National Rugby League Grand Final is a complete travesty.
The NRL didn’t want the video Involved in the GF. There were several other incidents that should have been referred to the video. The whole refereeing style was to have very low penalties and 6 agains and no video ref involvement to make it a showpiece!