What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

GongPanther

Referee
I hadn’t even thought about the fact that he hadn’t played a game at Panthers Stadium yet, the crowd is going to go absolutely mental every time this young man crosses the try line!

I’ll be at the game, I’m hoping we can see and cheer for him for scoring multiple tries like his mates were all lucky enough to do in his debut :clap:
Who needs JAC, when you have the Streak. (Staines)

Bob

Juniors
He probably could play 2nd Row but given our depth in that position highly unlikely.

No idea how Salmon is performing in pre season but he just seems like a square peg in a round whole. I just dont see where he gets a start in out 17 unless we have a really, really bad year with injury.
No he couldn’t play second row, I saw Gus’s comment on Twitter when we signed him and Gus has been watching him since he was 9, he rates him extremely highly as a half, 5/8 or centre, if anything happens to Edwards I’d like to see Crichton to FB with Salmon as a left centre

MugaB

Coach
The whole Ivan the terrible has been done to death. Seriously, it is surely time to move on for the sake of both clubs. It should be remembered any signing is signed off by a board so any deals done by Ivan were sanctioned by your CEO and Board. Get over it.
Fk YEAH Kilkenny!! Give it to that troll, thats exactly what ive been saying since day dot. Blame ivan all you want, its you shite wests board that signed off on it

Original Name

Juniors
No he couldn’t play second row, I saw Gus’s comment on Twitter when we signed him and Gus has been watching him since he was 9, he rates him extremely highly as a half, 5/8 or centre, if anything happens to Edwards I’d like to see Crichton to FB with Salmon as a left centre
Burton before him. Salmon wouldn't win you a game, won't lose you a game. Burton's a better player and he's trained enough at centre to play there.

WestyLife

First Grade
Not sure how to address this.

I made a number of posts in which I suggested an opinion that perhaps this hasn’t been our best off season in terms of recruitment and retention.

I suggested we had endured a lot of pain in order to re-sign the likes Chrichton, Luai, Staines, Lenui & Yeo.

I don’t shy away from that.

I still believe we could have done our business better, with less cost and with more dignity.

Given your responses to my posts it is fair to say I was not the most popular person on here and was heavily criticised.

I did get limited support support so thanks to BX Tom and one or two others who went into bat for me.

Other than a major disagreement with Alice over our differences of opinion around Josh Mansour’s exit I have never sought to ever question anyone’s opinions it is not my go.

Still not sure what your asking of me.

You were being down about comments hence my response.

betcats

Referee
And you know I copped a lot of flack for my assessment of our off season.

I have to suck that up, all I ever tried to convey was our off season has been one of considerable pain. A lot of out goings to bring our salary cap into order, releasing players from there contracts early, good loyal servants, or in some instances huge talents going forward.

It was never my intention to portray our situation as being a negative one, I fully understand the dynamics of the salary cap, I was always about we should have done our business better, sooner and have our overall roster settled. I’m just not persuaded it has been our best off season ever as has been alluded too.

Despite what some may suggest I am so looking forward to 2021 even if I remain guarded about our prospects. It is a tough competition. Take nothing for granted.

Mate this woe is me attitude is pathetic. Someone suggested we had a great off season and you called that crap and said its been a really poor. If you are going rubbish other peoples opinions its going to happen you dont to be a sook about it.

Every single off season has players going out and coming in. We used to release players and turnover a lot of players under Gus and you defend him to the hilt.

WestyLife

First Grade
Mate this woe is me attitude is pathetic. Someone suggested we had a great off season and you called that crap and said its been a really poor. If you are going rubbish other peoples opinions its going to happen you dont to be a sook about it.

Every single off season has players going out and coming in. We used to release players and turnover a lot of players under Gus and you defend him to the hilt.

I hope he's alright. It's such a big personality change. There was a time he'd go off at us for being negative even if we weren't.

franklin2323

Immortal
Oh ok. That makes sense. Gus did a lot of good but it was time to move on. RCG and Blake are also due to Gus and a reason the off season has been this way.

I am a realist and I won't deny Gus did some great things but you can't have the one guy making decisions it allows for personal feelings to cloud judgement

betcats

Referee
I hope he's alright. It's such a big personality change. There was a time he'd go off at us for being negative even if we weren't.

Im sure he is. He just isnt happy with our management he has been critical of pretty much every management decision since Gus left.

martielang

Bench
Mansour was rumoured to be on $500k. Tamou $700k

Staines probably $200k. So who else are you losing?

That is how the cap works. Hopefully you get concessions later on and we can keep both young guys and older guys

Shock me, but those figures seem very inflated/deflated to suit one side of the argument... & we'd offered Tamou another 1 year, so we could afford to keep him without any other outs.

@panthersam You're basing Staines' trajectory/career on 2 games, that's why I still think it's potential. Sure they were (very) impressive but we were extremely dominant in both those games, he's really yet to be seriously tested nor play in a game where Mansours strengths would've shined. Also if we're using that small a sample we could also say he's going to be injured 80% of the time.

FWIW no one can argue that Staines looks anything but serious talent but IMO I'm just not sure turfing every senior player after a minor taste of success is the way I'd go. Whether it's Tamou or Mansour, I would of kept one of them at the likely expense of Staines.

The whole Ivan the terrible has been done to death. Seriously, it is surely time to move on for the sake of both clubs. It should be remembered any signing is signed off by a board so any deals done by Ivan were sanctioned by your CEO and Board. Get over it.
You have the name of my favourite beer, but seems just like Guinness, you’ve become a bit bitter. Relax, life is too short!

panthersam

Juniors
Shock me, but those figures seem very inflated/deflated to suit one side of the argument... & we'd offered Tamou another 1 year, so we could afford to keep him without any other outs.

@panthersam You're basing Staines' trajectory/career on 2 games, that's why I still think it's potential. Sure they were (very) impressive but we were extremely dominant in both those games, he's really yet to be seriously tested nor play in a game where Mansours strengths would've shined. Also if we're using that small a sample we could also say he's going to be injured 80% of the time.

FWIW no one can argue that Staines looks anything but serious talent but IMO I'm just not sure turfing every senior player after a minor taste of success is the way I'd go. Whether it's Tamou or Mansour, I would of kept one of them at the likely expense of Staines.

You are right that I’m basing it mostly on potential right now, but the potential looks to be sky’s the limit type potential so that’s why I’m probably pretty excited by the Forbes Ferrari lol also for the fact that I think he will be our long term fullback going forward so that plays a factor into it too.

I think the turfing of every senior player is a bit of a stretch, only Mansour being moved on has the direct affect of where Charlie Staines will be in the team. The likes of Tamou, Whare etc have been moved on to keep a collective group of players, not just Charlie.

Continuing on with Mansour (which I told myself I wouldn’t lol), his main strengths on the field in my eyes are completely covered and now surpassed by the likes of Bizza and Dylan Edwards. Even when Nader played on the wing he crunched through a lot of hard work and metres if I remember correctly. Unfortunately I think it’s been about 4-5 years since Josh has had a direct impact in us winning a game as opposed to losing it, and probably had a lot more moments that have gone the other way.

Smug Panther

First Grade

Going forward Naden is a better option than Sauce if Staines doesn't work out. Was clearly time to move on

martielang

Bench
Going forward Naden is a better option than Sauce if Staines doesn't work out. Was clearly time to move on

It's like talking to my mrs with you blokes. You're looking at it pure as playing ability. If I was to keep Tamou/Mansour, playing ability isn't my main reason for keeping one of them.

In regards to Naden, looking like a sure bet he'll be a long term option.....