What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Kilkenny

Coach
Who did you tip? I can't remember.

I don’t recall ever making a tip around who would win in our game against Mounties.

I always expected us to win, we put out a side with half a dozen more players with NRL experience and our opposition had none so it would have been disappointing to lose in such circumstances.

I’ve been around long enough now to know trial form means nothing.

The trial against the Eels win or lose will mean nothing.

I know it is going back a bit, but I remember in Elliot’s last season in charge we won both our trials in impressive fashion and in Rounds 1 & 2 at home got thumped by 40 plus by the Knights & Sharks.

Trials serve a purpose, but as a guide going into Round 1 they mean nothing.

Jane Murray

Bench
I don’t recall ever making a tip around who would win in our game against Mounties.

I always expected us to win, we put out a side with half a dozen more players with NRL experience and our opposition had none so it would have been disappointing to lose in such circumstances.

I know it is going back a bit, but I remember in Elliot’s last season in charge we won both our trials in impressive fashion and in Rounds 1 & 2 at home got thumped by 40 plus by the Knights & Sharks.

Wrong person. Sorry.

GongPanther

Referee

It's the main reason why IMO Luai and Fish will be rested for this weekend. Their hit out on Saturday is all they needed for match fitness.

Generally, they manage these trials more carefully these days so they don't do any damage...or limit to only a few bumps and bruises.

martielang

Bench
If I'm a first grade coach & I have the option, I'm not playing a trial. Over a 26 round season, it's pointless IMO. Only brings injury. The first 5 rounds are a bit of a lottery anyway, if you want to try some new systems, try it then & you'll likely win as many as you would've anyway.

WestyLife

First Grade
If I'm a first grade coach & I have the option, I'm not playing a trial. Over a 26 round season, it's pointless IMO. Only brings injury. The first 5 rounds are a bit of a lottery anyway, if you want to try some new systems, try it then & you'll likely win as many as you would've anyway.
can't argue. At least in those first 5 games you're playing for 2 points.

franklin2323

Immortal

Depends where your side sits. If you are a new coach of got new players than trials are good

YoungPanther

Juniors
You can train as much as you like but nothing compares to a real game for fitness. Although a trial, the intensity is still a lift from contested in-house trials - especially against the slimeys. Necessary evils.

maple_69

Bench
I agree there’s no point taking undue risks with established players but certainly useful to get a better look at how fringe players and juniors stack up in a proper opposed contest

Not to mention useful to give us something to look forward to, talk about and watch!

Jane Murray

Bench
I agree there’s no point taking undue risks with established players but certainly useful to get a better look at how fringe players and juniors stack up in a proper opposed contest

Not to mention useful to give us something to look forward to, talk about and watch!
Especially when some of those fringe players will be upgraded soon.

Panther Pete

Juniors
I certainly take your point regarding the risk of injury to first graders but do you see the value in a trial if the team is made up predominantly of young guys like we had against Mounties?

WestyLife

First Grade
I certainly take your point regarding the risk of injury to first graders but do you see the value in a trial if the team is made up predominantly of young guys like we had against Mounties?

The more I think about it the more I suspect we need a trial. New right edge centre/winger who've had no game time with the halves is a big one. They get to have a go without the risk of losing two points. Even just playing 40 minutes to put into practice the training they've been doing would help.

Jane Murray

Bench
The more I think about it the more I suspect we need a trial. New right edge centre/winger who've had no game time with the halves is a big one. They get to have a go without the risk of losing two points. Even just playing 40 minutes to put into practice the training they've been doing would help.
Also it would give Ivan, and co, a chance to see what players will be elevated into the first grade squad. This is vital, considering we have spots still available, and not targets, outside the club, in mind.