What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

You’re never going to get someone in the same league as Burton in a swap. It all comes down to the value of him as a backup half compared to another position we might be short on. I see no reason to let him go early, the club has to be selfish on this one. Which kinda sucks for Burton, he should be further along in his development as a player, but Covid and Luai really got in the way.

Pomoz

Bench
I saw that, we have very good depth in lower grades compared to other clubs .
All goes well for another successful season.
This is the result of a deliberate strategy. We move guys up a grade to see how they go and then drop them back down again when they get tired. We have done this even when it means we damage our chances of winning junior trophies.

By the time a player gets to NSW cup, a 16 year old will have had experience playing in the grades above them for the last three or four years and when we debut them in first grade they are ready for the fact there is a jump in quality. They will already know the need to train hard if they want to cope because they have seen what the grades above them are like all through their junior development. It's a good way of keeping the junior stars ego in check too. Do this enough times and you have a number of players with first grade experience sitting in NSW cup waiting for their chance.

I haven't seen this done so well since the Broncos did it under Bennett. He used SOO to debut so many players and they were always ready to play. The SOO period was like finishing school for the junior players who were used to cover the wholesale loss of players into the QLD squad. The "Baby Broncos" always gave a good account of themselves and a few seasons later you could guarantee some of them would be rep players.

Even if we are going well and have no injuries, we should continue to use this process to keep the supply line of juniors flowing. That may mean dropping somebody from the bench who is a seasoned first grader and who is playing well, but you have to give juniors experience. It has the added benefit of getting some miles in the legs of the bench players too.

Every so often this process throws up somebody like Crichton who didn't need to be dropped to reggies for a rest. He was good to go from the get go. It doesn't happen that often, but it's nice when it does.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
You’re never going to get someone in the same league as Burton in a swap. It all comes down to the value of him as a backup half compared to another position we might be short on. I see no reason to let him go early, the club has to be selfish on this one. Which kinda sucks for Burton, he should be further along in his development as a player, but Covid and Luai really got in the way.

If a half goes down and Burton comes in. You would be confident of still being competitive without him...Not so. So I see no reason to let him go

martielang

Bench
As good as kid Burton is though, I'd be very surprised if he wasn't driving a release. Not only does he walk into first grade but I assume there's a substantial pay rise waiting for him as well. Can't blame him at all.

WestyLife

First Grade
As good as kid Burton is though, I'd be very surprised if he wasn't driving a release. Not only does he walk into first grade but I assume there's a substantial pay rise waiting for him as well. Can't blame him at all.
Would be weird if he wasn't.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Just a short note to let folks know. My daughter had a pacemaker fitted on Wednesday, She is now home recovering and doing well.

As her Mum it was a hard road travelled. Now pleased to be home (in the hunter) and looking forward to the footy season.

Thanks for all the kind words

Jennifer.

Not sure we'd have the kicking game. I think May can cover for Luai but I haven't seen Luai do big kicks for distance. Burton is the closest to Cleary kicking wise

Luai did a few last year, I remember an excellent one at Kogarah which got a six again. He can also bomb a very high ball, he just doesn’t get it much on the last tackle. That hopefully changes a bit this year.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Just a short note to let folks know. My daughter had a pacemaker fitted on Wednesday, She is now home recovering and doing well.

As her Mum it was a hard road travelled. Now pleased to be home (in the hunter) and looking forward to the footy season.

Jennifer.

oh thanks for the update... I really hope she has a quick recovery and good health moving forward!!

Fangs

Coach

Jennifer.

Great news hope she recovers well.

franklin2323

Immortal
Luai did a few last year, I remember an excellent one at Kogarah which got a six again. He can also bomb a very high ball, he just doesn’t get it much on the last tackle. That hopefully changes a bit this year.

I know it was an error but that was what I liked about him trying to find touch in All stars. Hope we see more of it

Latest posts