1. Round 10 Edition OUT NOW:

The Magic Round issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and NRL match programme for is out now!

A packed Magic Round issue looks ahead to the weekend at Suncorp, with more stories including an opinion piece on a recent court verdict, news from Victoria, and a chat to Knights' rookie Phoenix Crossland - plus the full match program for Round 10 of the NRL and teams & results for NSWRL, QRL and more.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 10 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Discussion in 'Penrith Panthers' started by soc123_au, Jan 4, 2021.

1. WestyLife

WestyLife Bench

It's why everyone just expected us to release him. It's standard to break contracts.

Jane Murray likes this.
  2. Smug Panther

Smug Panther Juniors

Never happen but im off to the kennel for a laugh

3. Jane Murray

Jane Murray Bench

Burton must have a clause stipulated in the contract. Granville had his potential release black banned by the Knights.

4. murraymob

murraymob First Grade

The contract has been registered with the nrl he can not .no way the dogs will let him after we have kept him

5. Jane Murray

Jane Murray Bench

Exactly.

6. Kilkenny

Kilkenny First Grade

Players have any number of clauses inserted in the contracts, too many to list, so it is not beyond the possibility Matt Burton could have a get out clause in his contract, whatever it may be. I’m not suggesting it is a possibility, at the end of the day, we can’t match the money he is likely to be earning from his bulldogs deal and we can’t guarantee him his preferred position so I’m sure he is most likely to be off to the Bulldogs in 2022. However, Billy Burns is being released, who knows the future of Brent Naden going forward, if he were to be released or not re-signed who knows what could play out in the Burton saga.

7. Luke Bowden

Luke Bowden Bench

Whilst I’ll state that I don’t for a second believe it’s even being talked about, I for one would have no issue with Burton attempting to get out of his contract in order to sign with us.

The Bulldogs have made it quite clear that they don’t have an issue with players breaking contracts, especially if it’s in the best interest of a young player. So let’s see how they feel when the shoe is on the other foot. I imagine their tune would change.

Abacus, MugaB, Panther2021 and 2 others like this.
  8. maple_69

maple_69 Bench

As nice as it would be to entertain keeping Burton even for a year or two, we need to be really focussed on holding onto the right guys longer term and letting the peripheral guys walk. I don’t want to laugh it up at the Bulldogs expense and suddenly Kikau or Fish is out the door.

9. Panther2021

Panther2021 Juniors

Interesting in the Tele article it states the swap is only for this season,meaning Burns who is contracted until end of next season will be back for 2022. Upside there...

Aliceinwonderland likes this.
  10. Aliceinwonderland

Aliceinwonderland Bench

Huge upside which is wonderful. Gives the club extra coverage, but without letting a player go whom they have developed. I see it (if it happens) as a win / win.

Jane Murray likes this.
  11. Hooked

Hooked Juniors

[​IMG]

12. betcats

betcats Referee

Re Burton, if he really is considering a back flip Its extremely unlikely the dogs will release him from the contract but it is not impossible.

Part of his post game comments on thursday:

"The culture here's unbelievable and just the teammates and all that, we're so close and such a good bond with each other," he said.

That is not comments made by a young guy who wants to leave and play for a terrible side, he wants to be here.

13. WestyLife

WestyLife Bench

It was you who sent that video in to ask Kenty I bet.

Blues Riff and Aliceinwonderland like this.
  14. Hooked

Hooked Juniors

Not I. I don't watch NRL 360 sorry.

15. Blade23

Blade23 Juniors

As you all know by now Burns out Blacker in.

The club is keen for Burns to play more FG. Unless injuries and suspensions hit, it won't be much here this year. Loaning him out is in everyone's best interests.

Although he has a few rough edges (and in my opinion a bit off FG) The club wants to see what Blacker can do under our systems. He gives us a little more depth in the middle. There are a few ahead of him though.
    If a good deal comes up later on we won't rule out bringing in another middle with more experience. We are in a good position.
    The player market is about to have another domino effect soon. It will be interesting to watch what happens. There are some silly trades (not involving us) proposed with other clubs atm. You never know what might happen. Desperate clubs do desperate and dumb things sometimes.

I hope you all had a nice Easter. Mine was a peach. Nice and quiet spent with family. Started off with a nice win over Manly.

16. betcats

betcats Referee

If Burns gets a bunch of FG games for them this year its a great deal for us.

17. WestyLife

WestyLife Bench

If he's getting first grade games then coming back that's brilliant.

18. franklin2323

franklin2323 Immortal

another brilliant move by front office here. Burns is too good for NSW Cup and hasn't shown it in NRL yet.. So works well

Jane Murray and WestyLife like this.
  19. Girds89

Girds89 Juniors

Completely agree. Burns is to good for nsw cup now and needs nrl time to further develop.

If its purely a loan im very happy with that deal.

WestyLife and Aliceinwonderland like this.
  20. Sime_11

Sime_11 Juniors

didnt see him named in any of the NRL/NSW sides this afternoon - assuming announcement imminent?