1. Round 10 Edition OUT NOW:

The Magic Round issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and NRL match programme for is out now!

A packed Magic Round issue looks ahead to the weekend at Suncorp, with more stories including an opinion piece on a recent court verdict, news from Victoria, and a chat to Knights' rookie Phoenix Crossland - plus the full match program for Round 10 of the NRL and teams & results for NSWRL, QRL and more.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 10 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Discussion in 'Penrith Panthers' started by soc123_au, Jan 4, 2021.

1. murraymob

murraymob First Grade

It’s win win for us.He has been signed as a 4th or 5 th option at prop .we are real thin there.Unless there are lots of injuries in the front row he will be in reggies .Burns is a real talent but also was only going to play reggies
    .But we are stacked in the back row with more talent coming through

2. mxlegend99

mxlegend99 Referee

Great news about Burns being a loan deal. I think he has a good first grade career ahead of him. Clearly a talented player and most of his issues came from trying too hard. Kikau was similar in his first season.

Only way he can develop those flaws is in first grade is by playing first grade. Pretty awesome it can happen without us taking the risk.

Although there's a good chance Dragons will want to hang onto him.

3. Jane Murray

Jane Murray Bench

No worries. I think some would love it if I was banned. ;):) Thanks, GongPanther, and betscat. :cool:

GongPanther and betcats like this.
  4. The Silverdale Phantom

The Silverdale Phantom First Grade

Bummer, I was looking forward to Janey being placed under lu arrest and going into custody.

Luke and I might struggle to find $5 for her bail. Take up a bucket at the Paceway. Plenty of losing tickets in there and five cent pieces.

Grand total 85 cents and six bad quinellas.

5. Panfa

Panfa Juniors

I'm sure blacker can't be that bad a prop just takes the ball up forward.Wait till the dragons get a taste of Billy butter fingers burns then we will see who got dud deal.

6. Kilkenny

Kilkenny First Grade

Burns is a lot better player than you give him credit for, the handling issues you refer to are largely a myth. Maybe guilty of trying to hard on occasion but they are getting a more than useful player in my opinion.

7. Original Name

Original Name Juniors

I thought he was a bit older than he was. He's still only 27. That's only a year older than Yeo. Started his career a bit late so he should be able to play pretty late into his career.
    He's a second rower so it'll depend on his half. For example Foran likes his second rowers to run a line whereas DCE likes best second rowers he can give early ball too. Burns can ball play and kick but it seems like he's running a line comes most naturally to him.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  8. Original Name

Original Name Juniors

Pretty much all club forums are bad but the Kennel is especially bad. It's by far the worst in my experience. Pretty much all the comments I saw in Napa's signing thread were excited to get him and ditch Klemmer.

WestyLife likes this.
  9. Hooked

Hooked Juniors

In my backyard. My dog is known to be a resident from time to time. ;)

GongPanther, Kilkenny and ACTPanthers like this.
  10. The_Frog

The_Frog Bench

If he keeps winning he might have a higher win percentage even.

Jane Murray likes this.
  11. Jane Murray

Jane Murray Bench

I agree. Some on here question the relevance. The relevance is Ivan, and Co, will make Eddie Blacker a better player. This is our year.

12. The_Frog

The_Frog Bench

We all hope so.

Jane Murray likes this.
  13. Whino

Whino Juniors

No loan deal. Burns gone for good.

Blacker joins Panthers as Burns departs

Penrith Panthers is delighted to confirm Eddie Blacker has joined the club for the remainder of the 2021 season after being released by St George Illawarra Dragons.

The signing of the 21-year-old prop on a one-year deal, with a club option for 2022, comes as Billy Burns is granted an immediate release from his Panthers contract to join the Dragons.

"Billy is a success story emerging from our club’s significant investment in Rugby League development in central west NSW," Panthers General Manager Rugby League Matt Cameron said.

"While it’s always sad to see a player we’ve developed leave the club, allowing Billy to move on at this point is in the best interests of all parties.

"We currently enjoy strong depth in Billy’s position and his departure will assist with our club’s management of the salary cap moving forward.

"At the same time it gives us the opportunity to improve the depth of our front row stocks and in that regard we’re excited to welcome Eddie Blacker to Panthers.

"Eddie is a talented young prop whose physical attributes will make him a valuable asset for our squad this season."

Born in Brisbane, Blacker came through the junior grades at Brisbane Broncos and represented the Queensland U20s Origin side in 2019.

He made his NRL debut for the Dragons in Round 20 last season.

"I think the success this Panthers team is having says everything about the club and I’m just excited to be a part of it," Blacker said.

"I like to think of myself as an effort player so from the first session I’ll be focused on doing all the little things right and making a good impression.

"I can’t wait to rip in and show everyone what I’m about."
    https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2021/04/07/blacker-joins-panthers-as-burns-departs/

Aliceinwonderland likes this.
  14. WestyLife

WestyLife Bench

So much for the loan.

15. Blade23

Blade23 Juniors

Sorry mate, I was told it was a loan deal. Things obviously changed the last day or so.
    Sounds like he got a good deal that was hard to turn down.

16. St Tangles

St Tangles Juniors

His not
    Has has plenty of potential
    The swap works well for both teams we need a second rower desperately that can play top grade
    Blacker is not ready yeat but should develop well over the next 2 years

17. franklin2323

franklin2323 Immortal

The wording makes it sound Capewell is staying we are light in backrowers otherwise

18. mxlegend99

mxlegend99 Referee

Disappointed it's not just a loan. The loan deal seemed like a great move for us to help develop him. Kinda sucks we won't get to benefit from it now. Assuming Capewell leaves he could have been the perfect replacement in 12 months.
    L

WestyLife likes this.
  19. Aliceinwonderland

Aliceinwonderland Bench

Fair enough sounds to me like a sensible deal. Penrith in need of a cheap middle forward. Hopefully Eddie thrives in the Penrith system. If he does well, he will get re-signed. Simple solution.

Blade23 likes this.
  20. Whino

Whino Juniors

Negotiations are often fluid. I don't blame you. You have proven yourself here over time.
    All of the media had it down as a loan as of last night.

Blade23, Jane Murray, MugaB and 2 others like this.