What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

WestyLife

First Grade
Would have been good to see how he goes, his carries on tackle 2 or 3 aren't great and he gets dominated. Maybe without a set line facing him returning the ball on first tackle might suit him better. Then we get a winger who makes more ground then him on tackle 2 or 3.

On a separate note, is anyone else been surprised by his lack of speed? For all the talk of him being the Forbes Ferrari he barely makes a dent on the run away tries we have conceded. Where was he when Liddle ran 90m or even Moylan's try? I think he was chasing Liddle but making no ground.

He showed it saving that try Vs Roosters. They might be instructing him to not be too harsh on those hamstrings since like Tom Turbo he's got a history of injury. Might take time to adjust to first grade which is also why he's there to adjust to the physicality and speed.

DinkyDi

Juniors
He showed it saving that try Vs Roosters. They might be instructing him to not be too harsh on those hamstrings since like Tom Turbo he's got a history of injury. Might take time to adjust to first grade which is also why he's there to adjust to the physicality and speed.
And when he saved a certain try in the match against the storm. He stopped JAC from scoring.

Panther79

Juniors
Hopefully it is something like that, I just haven't seen anything explosive from him like he did against Manly and Cronulla last yeat this year. Even if he gets a half break he doesn't seem to get clear and is covered easily, hope I am wrong about him.

Fangs

Coach
On a separate note, is anyone else been surprised by his lack of speed? For all the talk of him being the Forbes Ferrari he barely makes a dent on the run away tries we have conceded. Where was he when Liddle ran 90m or even Moylan's try? I think he was chasing Liddle but making no ground.

He has fantastic acceleration. He was the only player on the field capable of stopping Tupou in the seventh minute last week. That is what will make a handful in attack at fullback. He won't have a problem creating overlaps. Its his physicality which restricts him to the wing for now.

You see it with lots of players. Wesser was certainly fast but I can remember him being run down plenty of times. Same with Michael Jennings. On the other hand I can never remember seeing Inglis getting caught.

Munky

Coach
He has fantastic acceleration. He was the only player on the field capable of stopping Tupou in the seventh minute last week. That is what will make a handful in attack at fullback. He won't have a problem creating overlaps. Its his physicality which restricts him to the wing for now.

You see it with lots of players. Wesser was certainly fast but I can remember him being run down plenty of times. Same with Michael Jennings. On the other hand I can never remember seeing Inglis getting caught.

Did 03 Wesser ever get run down?

He used to speed up occasionally to get around players.

Fangs

Coach
Did 03 Wesser ever get run down?

He used to speed up occasionally to get around players.

You'll have me thinking about it for the rest of the day. I feel he did.

I can remember Wesser getting run down by the Sharks in 2002. Thats the come from behind win where he was 5m offside from the Gower chip and chase.

Kilkenny

Coach
You'll have me thinking about it for the rest of the day. I feel he did.

I can remember Wesser getting run down by the Sharks in 2002. Thats the come from behind win where he was 5m offside from the Gower chip and chase.
Rhys Wesser in his heyday was lightening quick. I don’t think he got run down too often, his acceleration over initial forty or so was something to behold.

Still believe he is our greatest ever fullback. 113 tries from his 178 games with us was pretty amazing given only a couple of seasons were successful ones.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
Unpopular opinion: I wouldn't have minded pushing Staines to fullback and Jennings on that wing outside Crichton when Edwards was out.
I don’t think it is an unpopular opinion, there are plenty of our fans who would have liked to see what he is capable off in the role.

Im not convinced he is our fullback going forward, but that’s just me, but I am certainly not adverse to seeing what he can do, given he hasn’t played the position for such a long time. Who knows he could be an offensive weapon, sniffing around the ruck or injecting himself into our set plays. I’m not sure he will deliver the metres from kick returns we are use to or that he has ball playing attributes that some seem to crave, but we largely won’t know until his is given a run of games in the position.

BxTom

Bench
Didn't he outpace ado carr in saving a try a few rounds or so back? I do agree that he needs a little strengthening work though, but they are likely already working on that.

Panther79

Juniors

I guess that is the difference between acceleration and constant top line speed. Definitely saw Michael Jennings get run down a lot and don't recall Inglis being caught once clear.

I don't really rate that save being due to his speed, He was only just behind Tupou and Tupou had to check himself due to the pass being behind him, most wingers would have covered that situation I believe. Topou scores all day if that pass is not behind him.

Am not bagging the young man, just yet to see the promise of last year translated to this year. I don't really think any of his tries this year were anything special that most other wings could not have scored.

Black Diamond

Juniors
I guess that is the difference between acceleration and constant top line speed. Definitely saw Michael Jennings get run down a lot and don't recall Inglis being caught once clear.

I don't really rate that save being due to his speed, He was only just behind Tupou and Tupou had to check himself due to the pass being behind him, most wingers would have covered that situation I believe. Topou scores all day if that pass is not behind him.

Am not bagging the young man, just yet to see the promise of last year translated to this year. I don't really think any of his tries this year were anything special that most other wings could not have scored.
He is definately better with Critta inside him rather than Momo. Momo seems to eat up his space. Looks more fluent when Critta is there.

Kilkenny

Coach
Sunia Turuva has a little work to do on his game if he wants to progress to the NRL.

Watching him in SG Ball a season or two back pre Covid I thought he was pretty talented. Still is, not sure why they are playing him in the centre’s currently and Naden playing at fullback. Naden is leaving so I’m not quite sure of the thought process around Turuva, he doesn’t seem a natural centre in either build of attributes. Time will tell I guess around the clubs thinking.

From what I have seen lately in NSW Cup, Taylan May looks our best outside back prospect. I really like the look of him, although not sure where or when he gets a run.

Original Name

Juniors
Would have been good to see how he goes, his carries on tackle 2 or 3 aren't great and he gets dominated. Maybe without a set line facing him returning the ball on first tackle might suit him better. Then we get a winger who makes more ground then him on tackle 2 or 3.

He was running through chasing the kick Edwards failed to put through so Liddle had a massive head start. Would have to slow down, stop and start running when Liddle has already started.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach

Michael Jennings high end speed was over the first 40 metres.

As Rob Weaver used to say back in the day, speed over a 100 metres is irrelevant. He was right.

WestyLife

First Grade
Didn't he outpace ado carr in saving a try a few rounds or so back? I do agree that he needs a little strengthening work though, but they are likely already working on that.

Yeah. He clearly has speed. I'd back our conditioning staff over any in the comp at this point.

Fangs

Coach
The best way to settle this is to check the stats in the upcomming rugby league live game.

Rhys Wesser was 10 speed and 10 acceleration 03. Same as Billy Slater. Preston had 10 acceleration but merely an 8 speed. And don't forget agility. A crucial stat.

franklin2323

Immortal

Creating the overlaps isn't the issue. The other parts to fullback he will struggle at atm

franklin2323

Immortal

I have been saying it for a few weeks. All part of his development as a player.

Alot I put down to losing reading the play and instinct due to being on the wing so long.

You can look at the difference when we are attacking the line with the ball compared to just a kick through.

He knows the pass is coming so is ready and burns guys. Other times he seems to miss the start and isn't so fast

Original Name

Juniors
I have been saying it for a few weeks. All part of his development as a player.

Alot I put down to losing reading the play and instinct due to being on the wing so long.

You can look at the difference when we are attacking the line with the ball compared to just a kick through.

He knows the pass is coming so is ready and burns guys. Other times he seems to miss the start and isn't so fast
When we played Storm Momo got beaten twice by Hynes who flick passed to JAC and Staines was right up near JAC as caught the ball pressuring him and forcing two knock ons.