What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

DinkyDi

Juniors
We can win without Nathan. We've already beaten the Storm without him this year.

Nathan's our most important player, but let's not lose sight of the fact that we've had at least 6 of our best 17 out every game we've lost this year.
And got flogged in the corresponding game.

Pomoz

Bench
We can win without Nathan. We've already beaten the Storm without him this year.

Nathan's our most important player, but let's not lose sight of the fact that we've had at least 6 of our best 17 out every game we've lost this year.
Yes and as I pointed out yesterday, it hits us harder than other teams because we are so inexperienced generally. Just remember this listing of games played from the Storm game.

StormPanthers
Hynes29Edwards72
Leremia7Staines21
Smith68Crichton45
Olam57Naden34
Addo-Carr122Jennings65
Munster145Burton23
Hughes78Luai56
Bromwich266Leota98
Smith80Kenny31
Welch111Martin55
Kaufusi147Kikau89
Bromwich186Capewell88
Finucane213Sorenson50
Lewis21Eisenhuth85
Papenhausen50Tago4
Grant25Leniu33
Grant J2Hopgood4
Total1,607853
Average9550
Spine Games332182
Spine Average
83​
46​

We have an extremely inexperienced roster. That will change over time, but the Roosters and the Storm have built their roster over a number years. Our metamorphosis into a "true" development club leading to where we are now was started 10 years ago and it takes time to build up enough depth that you have 6 x 100 game veterans like the Storm. We have four at the club. Guess what, Yeo, Korasaiu, Cleary and JFH were all missing at the weekend.

Fangs

Coach

For me the killer blow is Cleary and Korisau both out at the same time.

With just one of them I think its possible to win this competition.

age.s

First Grade
Need 3 of this 4 to be a chance
Cleary
Api
Yeo
Fish

We didn't have Api against the Storm in round 3 either. We won that night because our defence was pretty close to flawless across the park. We could do that again if we needed to. We're one of the few teams that can neuter their flair and grind them out of the game.

We are absolutely no chance without all 4 of them though, as was the case on Sunday. To'o's casual 220+ meters are pretty important as well.

franklin2323

Immortal
For me the killer blow is Cleary and Korisau both out at the same time.

With just one of them I think its possible to win this competition.

I'd put Yeo in that category too. Api's service is immense but Yeo gets it takes the line on which attracts defenders then gives the halves/Back space.

Radley, Yeo, Murray are all like this with being crucial to the sides attack

Original Name

Juniors
Every 175cm hooker in the comp is going to struggle one on one with haas or lodge or NAS.
Api, McInnes, B Smith, Macca, Hunt when he plays hooker, Cook. The defence of these guys is just a level above guys like Kenny. They don't get terrorized by big props. The elite hookers of the comp hold their own. Especially McInnes and Api who stand out in particular.
Haas is an animal and him and lodge destroyed our whole pack first time we played them this year. None of our forwards could contain them..
Infact no forwards can really contain haas.. hes a beast.

I'm not saying we as a team should can contain him completely I'm saying Kenny was targeted and that made Hass easier to be more destructive against us than he usually is most games.
But keep up the dribble mate.. if i see api cook or any other 175cm 83kg hooker belt haas and stop an offload one on one ill come apolgise right here..
I appreciated Api's toughness when RCG run off the back fence straight at him and Api cut him down one one one. I really grew to appreciate McInnes' off a kick off he picked and dropped a dropped a prop. I really grew to appreciate Peter Wallace's tackling when he cut in half a Bulldogs prop and the guy was on ground unable to get up for like a minute. That kind of defence is the kinda of level of tackling is what the best defensive hookers in the consistently comp have. B Smith destroying Matt Eishunuth when Matt ran at him. Mitch Kenny will put a hit on a winger or something but he's not going to iron out a prop one on one no matter how slowly he runs. Kenny doesn't offer much in attack compared to guys like Api, he can improve in that area to a degree but he has to be a hooker in the mould McInnes to really become a great hooker. That's the only way forward for him.
Up until then. Youre wrong. Jfh leota and yeo couldnt contain haas first time we played brissie but you blame kenny haha🤣
Hass wasn't that big in the first game, he was good as always is at the minimum but that game it was more TPJ and Lodge. Lodge identified a weak spot in our middle line and kept targeting it to great effect. Here "Matt Lodge 7 tackle breaks, Payne Hass one." "Matt Lodge average ptb speed 2.96s (the quickest in the game btw). Pay Hass average ptb speed 3.52s"
Unless someone pulls a Fifita and drifts across field 7 tackles breaks doesn't just happen for a prop. (When Souths play against Lodge do you see Lodge with 7 tackle breaks? Maybe, just maybe there's a reason for that. Now I sound a bit crazy here but maybe just maybe it's because Cook the Australian and NSW hooker is better defensively than Mitch Kenny.) it very clearly due Kenny just kept getting bumped off resulting a play the balls that were pretty good for them and guys with leg speed like Issako and Hass to play off the back off. As a result of that and TPJ just being a genetic freak we played most of the games in our own end. Miscommunication errors from the Broncos and stuff like that got us 6 line breaks to two which evened up metres but even with all those easy metres and despite having slightly more runs we had less post contact metres.
If you recall in the last 10 minutes we couldn't get up far enough into the field to get into field goal range by they could. Issako missed a field goal attempt and Cleary went up the other end and kicked his. We lost the battle up the middle and in a large part it was due to Lodge targeting Kenny as target in the middle. We relied on Brisbane's terrible game management and Cleary to win because our tackling in the middle simply wasn't good enough.

Edit: Also game 1 against Brisbane for Payne Hass: 1 tackle break, ptb speed of 3.52 seconds, 92 post contact metres.

Game 2 for Payne Hass: 14 tackle breaks, 2.7s ptb speed, 93 post contact metres all with one less run.

Wow! Look at that massive difference in ptb speed and tackle breaks it's like there was some sort of difference in the defence he was running at or something strange. Like someone had actually had a brain so they were to be able to see Kenny struggling to handle Lodge the first game or something. That sure is a weird irrelevant coincidence.

Last edited:

Original Name

Juniors
The club won't overpay for Kikau. They will seek a fair deal. He will have to take a little less than the over inflated market value figures to stay here.
Is this his manager just bullshitting or is there real interest from Union? Because no NRL club can match big money interest from Union.

murraymob

Coach
There is no need to over pay .there a lots of fringe players who are hidden gem out there .capewell could well be described as one.papali at the eels is one.the roosters with there injuries have found several

Abacus

Juniors
Api, McInnes, B Smith, Macca, Hunt when he plays hooker, Cook. The defence of these guys is just a level above guys like Kenny. They don't get terrorized by big props. The elite hookers of the comp hold their own. Especially McInnes and Api who stand out in particular.

I'm not saying we as a team should can contain him completely I'm saying Kenny was targeted and that made Hass easier to be more destructive against us than he usually is most games.

I appreciated Api's toughness when RCG run off the back fence straight at him and Api cut him down one one one. I really grew to appreciate McInnes' off a kick off he picked and dropped a dropped a prop. I really grew to appreciate Peter Wallace's tackling when he cut in half a Bulldogs prop and the guy was on ground unable to get up for like a minute. That kind of defence is the kinda of level of tackling is what the best defensive hookers in the consistently comp have. B Smith destroying Matt Eishunuth when Matt ran at him. Mitch Kenny will put a hit on a winger or something but he's not going to iron out a prop one on one no matter how slowly he runs. Kenny doesn't offer much in attack compared to guys like Api, he can improve in that area to a degree but he has to be a hooker in the mould McInnes to really become a great hooker. That's the only way forward for him.

Hass wasn't that big in the first game, he was good as always is at the minimum but that game it was more TPJ and Lodge. Lodge identified a weak spot in our middle line and kept targeting it to great effect. Here "Matt Lodge 7 tackle breaks, Payne Hass one." "Matt Lodge average ptb speed 2.96s (the quickest in the game btw). Pay Hass average ptb speed 3.52s"
Unless someone pulls a Fifita and drifts across field 7 tackles breaks doesn't just happen for a prop. (When Souths play against Lodge do you see Lodge with 7 tackle breaks? Maybe, just maybe there's a reason for that. Now I sound a bit crazy here but maybe just maybe it's because Cook the Australian and NSW hooker is better defensively than Mitch Kenny.) it very clearly due Kenny just kept getting bumped off resulting a play the balls that were pretty good for them and guys with leg speed like Issako and Hass to play off the back off. As a result of that and TPJ just being a genetic freak we played most of the games in our own end. Miscommunication errors from the Broncos and stuff like that got us 6 line breaks to two which evened up metres but even with all those easy metres and despite having slightly more runs we had less post contact metres.
If you recall in the last 10 minutes we couldn't get up far enough into the field to get into field goal range by they could. Issako missed a field goal attempt and Cleary went up the other end and kicked his. We lost the battle up the middle and in a large part it was due to Lodge targeting Kenny as target in the middle. We relied on Brisbane's terrible game management and Cleary to win because our tackling in the middle simply wasn't good enough.

Edit: Also game 1 against Brisbane for Payne Hass: 1 tackle break, ptb speed of 3.52 seconds, 92 post contact metres.

Game 2 for Payne Hass: 14 tackle breaks, 2.7s ptb speed, 93 post contact metres all with one less run.

Wow! Look at that difference in ptb speed and tackle breaks it's like there was some sort of difference in the defence he was running at or something strange. Like someone had actually had a brain so they were to be able to see Kenny struggling to handle Lodge the first game or something. That sure is a weird irrelevant coincidence. I'm sure if we back to last year we played the Broncos the stats will reflect something similar to Payne Hass in game two because Api was defending that game and every single small hooker defends to the same standard or something. Oh no wait that didn't happen. Api held his own like the freaking elite player he is.
Your post is too long.

Abacus

Juniors
I wonder if Kiks goes to Rugby whether we'd throw his cash at Junior Paulo. Imagine Cleary, Api & Luai playing off a front row of Fish & Paulo....

maple_69

Bench
I reckon a hole runner like CHN in our current set up would be a good value replacement for Kikau. Appropriate money for an edge forward. He’s off contract after next year. Leilua would be an awesome Kikau lite as well if he felt like going to a decent club.

The Realist

Juniors
I reckon a hole runner like CHN in our current set up would be a good value replacement for Kikau. Appropriate money for an edge forward. He’s off contract after next year. Leilua would be an awesome Kikau lite as well if he felt like going to a decent club.

Luciano? We don’t need a defender who when nearly at his best, is as sloppy as Kikau at his worst. Pea hearted defender with nowhere near the motor of Billy. No thanks.

Abacus

Juniors
Not sure CHN would come (or be welcome) back... but agree he'd be a good addition.

Girds89

Bench

We had a brilliant hole runner in billy burns.

Club let him go to sign a plod fromt rower who isnt nrl quality.

Was a real shame. Under some good coacing and with a bit of consistent nrl time burns will kick on.

Fangs

Coach
Guys like Blore and Burns were let go to pursue first grade opportunities. We are also a successful club and they are stuck at bum clubs.

If Penrith wants them back they will sign immediately.