What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Whino

Bench
Fletcher confident about Kikau’s future at Penrith

It was interesting to note Panthers CEO Brian Fletcher’s confidence this week about the club re-signing Viliame Kikau.

“We’re very confident that we will be able to come to an agreement with his management and have him on the roster for another three or four years as well. Every indication is that he’ll be staying,” Fletcher told Sky Sports Radio.

He’s far more confident than Chairman Dave O’Neill was in his comments to the media a few weeks ago.

I’m still hearing Kikau will test his value on the open market, which means he won’t re-sign until after November – if he does at all.

Where to next for Dylan Edwards?

Another player off-contract at the end of next seasons is Dylan Edwards.

While the 25-year-old has a chance to prove his elite status against the Storm on Saturday and then potentially in a Grand Final, I have no doubt that some questions will start to be raised should the Panthers exit this weekend.

Edwards is a great player, but whether or not Penrith need someone more explosive at the back is potentially something worth questioning. It’s likely to be part of the conversation if this Panthers team doesn’t go all the way this year.

Kilkenny

Coach
I like Dyl and am glad he is Panther; he has been a big part of a very successful part of our history.

But his position on the team seems like it is dependant on others at this stage. We know what we are going to get with Dyl (100% effort always, strong running and backing up, but a clanger in him quite often), but the ceiling of others seems higher and if they meet their potential over the coming year he may find himself on the outer.

As an aside, I have liked over the last few years that we have played to win now; in years gone past the dependable vet like Dyl would have been jettisoned in favour of the youngster with potential. Play the best guy and trust that the youngster won’t leave the system.
100%. Never suggested otherwise. Ive never suggested Dylan is elite, he isn’t he doesn’t possess the explosive attacking skills the top four or five fullbacks do. By all means serious consideration or discussion needs to be had around his retention. If the club moves in a different direction and chooses not to re-sign him i would understand and support the decision Because the brains trust are in a much better to know what is best for the team or club generally. If he is offered a new deal, 1-2 years maximum on similar money to what he is currently on.

BxTom

Bench
100%. Never suggested otherwise. Ive never suggested Dylan is elite, he isn’t he doesn’t possess the explosive attacking skills the top four or five fullbacks do. By all means serious consideration or discussion needs to be had around his retention. If the club moves in a different direction and chooses not to re-sign him i would understand and support the decision Because the brains trust are in a much better to know what is best for the team or club generally. If he is offered a new deal, 1-2 years maximum on similar money to what he is currently on.
Dyl might not be one of the elite attacking fullbacks, but he is the organiser of the defense in the best defending team in the NRL. It's a trade off.

Kilkenny

Coach
Dyl might not be one of the elite attacking fullbacks, but he is the organiser of the defense in the best defending team in the NRL. It's a trade off.
I guess Ivan and his team need to identify what is most important to us going forward. Is he the fullback who is going to take us to the next level, much us I like Dylan and support him I do understand the Realists position on this aspect. Perhaps we do need someone at the back who offers more in attack. Either way your right too it is currently a trade off which in part is due to the fact we may not have a better alternative. I just don’t get the hate, he is far better than deserving of the criticism he receives.

Bob

Juniors

Sport Confidential: Rivals circle Charlie Staines, Spencer Leniu as salary cap hits Penrith Panthers​

Two of Penrith’s brightest young stars could be on the move as the club treads a salary cap tightrope. Check out who could be on the way out.

Michael Carayannis and Jamie Pandaram

7 min read
September 23, 2021 - 4:00PM

Penrith’s salary cap is about to hit hard with fears two of the club’s most promising players could be forced out at season’s end.
Rival clubs are set to pounce and are circling Charlie Staines and young forward Spencer Leniu who have come onto their radars after they dipped out of Penrith’s top 17.
The Panthers are treading a salary cap tightrope heading into next season and beyond with the issue set to ignite at the end of their season. The club has been a victim of its own success.

According to the NRL website, the Panthers have just 23 players contracted for next year but it is understood Tyrone May and Jaeman Salmon have agreed to new deals.
With five spots to fill, they may be forced to squeeze some players out.
Charlie Staines has struggled to force his way into Penrith’s top side this season. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images

Charlie Staines has struggled to force his way into Penrith’s top side this season. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images
Staines and Leniu are on deals worth about $300,000 each.
Viliame Kikau’s future could also come into the spotlight with the club unlikely to be in a position to extend him when his deal expires at the end of next year.
Last year they dumped fan favourite Josh Mansour after the grand final to make way for Staines.
Staines and Leniu rejected rich offers from the Bulldogs last year to recommit to the Panthers until the end of 2023.
Staines has struggled this year after bursting onto the scene last year, scoring six tries in two games.
The Panthers are already losing Matt Burton, Brent Naden and Kurt Capewell at season’s end, while Tevita Pangai Jnr will also leave after his short-stint at the club.
Spencer Leniu is an exciting young forward. Picture: NRL Photos

Spencer Leniu is an exciting young forward. Picture: NRL Photos

Kilkenny

Coach
How many players did we shed from 2020? It was a lot. Tetevano, Hetherington, Laurie, Ellis, Cartwright, Whare, Tamou, Burns and Aekins there may have been others.

From our current squad in 2021 we are seeing the departures of Burton, Naden and Capewell.

I think we our largely paying the price of our success in terms of managing our salary cap.

It is a big turnover in playing staff. Far from easy.

The published article is just paper talk. Click bait.

Kilkenny

Coach
Spencer should want out imo. Ivan has no idea how to use him
I agree the Spencer Lenui situation is rather sad.

We all see his huge potential, but another season of mediocrity which is disappointing.

Have to hang onto him thou, he could be something special with proper development.

chrisD

Coach
Yeah the writing is on the wall with Spencer, his manager can't sit still while Spencer's future and value stagnates. If it's a relationship issue it needs to be mended and if it can't he needs to be allowed to move on for everyone's sake.

Staines got reasonable opportunity and one would hope the talk isn't coming from his camp.

Whino

Bench
Fletcher said we have 26 contracted for next year. Lazy jouno counts 23 with maybe another 2.
A story with no qoutes. Just speculation on who is outside the 17. They must want out because they are not playing :p. A bit of shit stirring going on.
Must be a slow news day.