What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Original Name

Juniors
I don't know all the particulars of the release. Usually they are set out as follows.
A player is given a release to secure a future deal elsewhere. If that deal falls over, just after he is released (through no fault of the player) his existing contract would revert back to his previous club. The remaining terms (length and salary) would resume as before, unless both parties renegotiated. Or the player left again for another club.
If he is just given a straight forward release we are fine, but given we had Ava lined up as a swap, I would say it isn't straight forward.

If we can't move him on to the ESL, or even another NRL club, We will be severely hindered buying any more players. To fill the remaining spots in our roster.
You can argue that it is his fault (past conviction) is the reason for the deal falling over. Still, it is grey area.
It depends what terms and conditions are in the release.
Is he on that much money I thought we got him cheap..

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Player wise, I don’t see much difference between Zane and Ava.

Financially is where I think we lose in this.

Abacus

Juniors
I think a release is a release. If the club have satisfied their obligations of the release, there is no obligation on them to take Zane back for 2021.

Similarly Ava has been released by Leeds, so I'm not sure why there would be any issue unless Panthers want Zane instead of Ava.

Coast panther

Juniors
I'd rather zane by far. I don't mind ava but his style is kinda dieing we'd you'se zane much more off the bench. Also I'd say covid might be part of zane not getting into the UK

GongPanther

Referee
I actually do want russell, just not at his current contract price, like i mentioned earlier, we need a hard nosed no nonsense prop, we have fish, but he is gonna need help, no tetevano and tamou could be a catalyst to going backwards in the middle, an enforcer would be all we needed, i know we had hethro, but his price was too high to keep, a cheap JWH style player= packer but only if tigers pay most of the freight.

I'd also be not looking at packers past, many footballers have done the wrong thing and repented and rehabilitated, russells no different, even Tetevano with all his ills still made us proud even with his past history of violence. As long as we aren't offering starting spots or long contracts guys like packer can boost a teams aggression off the bench.
Good points Muga. Gotta give players a go to redeem themselves. And some are so thankful for the chance, they do tend to put their best foot forward.

Pomoz

Bench
I think a release is a release. If the club have satisfied their obligations of the release, there is no obligation on them to take Zane back for 2021.

Similarly Ava has been released by Leeds, so I'm not sure why there would be any issue unless Panthers want Zane instead of Ava.
It doesn't matter what the law is and if he stupidly agreed to be released without any clauses to protect him if the deal falls through. If he agreed to the release to help us with our salary cap, the right thing to do, is to honour his contract. I don't want anything to do with a club that shafts people and dumps them on the scrapheap for no good cause. He bled for us last year and regardless of his past convictions he deserves loyalty. If the deal collapses and other players suffer, so be it. I am sure the club can come up with a plan B.

If he asked for a release, well that's a different matter, it is up to our discretion whether we take him back.

Jane Murray

Bench
It doesn't matter what the law is and if he stupidly agreed to be released without any clauses to protect him if the deal falls through. If he agreed to the release to help us with our salary cap, the right thing to do, is to honour his contract. I don't want anything to do with a club that shafts people and dumps them on the scrapheap for no good cause. He bled for us last year and regardless of his past convictions he deserves loyalty. If the deal collapses and other players suffer, so be it. I am sure the club can come up with a plan B.

If he asked for a release, well that's a different matter, it is up to our discretion whether we take him back.
Zane requested the re-lease.

Last edited:

Blues Riff

Bench
WT fans are only concerned with the kid's welfare. It's like the humanitarians in the Kennel calling for Burton's release. I wouldn't be surprised if AMNESTY aren't already looking into it.
Suddenly everyone's a fkn philanthropist.

WT fans are only concerned with the kid's welfare. It's like the humanitarians in the Kennel calling for Burton's release. I wouldn't be surprised if AMNESTY aren't already looking into it.
Suddenly everyone's a fkn philanthropist.
I completely understand why Penrith aren’t releasing him, I’m just shit stirring. No doubt Laurie will be promoted to your top 30 (like Parra did with Uto last year). I’m impressed Laurie isn’t complaining and happy to see out his contract.

Latest posts