What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

martielang

Bench
Couldn’t disagree more re; Kiks. Last week he was obviously poor, the month prior to that he’s been our best despite Luai providing little space for him. Heavily involved in attack and his defence has been terrific and aggressive.

I think Martin’s just run out of gas. The exact same thing happened last year and the year before that.

Would love to see Kiks on the right. I think he opens that edge up if so. Also allows a line runner like Capewell on the right where I think he’d be more effective.

Agree, He is a flat track bully at times, but what elite second rower isn’t?

Fangs

Coach
I honestly don’t find that at all. To me he clogs the attack, too many cooks. He’s put on some good passes for sure, but overall I find it gets clunky when he’s involved in attack.

In the halves yes. As a 2nd or 3rd receiver playing on the right I think he works fine. It's a very specific role too which helps any player.

Its 2020 May I'm thinking about. Limited moments from him this year.

The Realist

Juniors
The ones who command the sort of money he wants.

Yeah we can't be getting into any sort of bidding war for Kikau. Keep him at 700K, maybe up it to 750K or so. People have to remember that we are paying him for what he is likely to produce during his Contract period of 2023-2026 not what we remember from a 'highlight reel' at his best.

I honestly think he has already peaked, his best footy was 2018-2020 (not including last years finals). I don't think he gets any better from here on in. His physicality will wane and he will spend more time on the sideline injured it's just just a function of game mileage and age.

The only thing I can hope for is that he will become a smarter player because he is still very capable of numerous brain snaps a game.

Still the point stands - we shouldn't be upgrading him at all.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Why would that have any bearing on resigning May though?

Nathan is locked in long term, so it’s not like he is going to spit the dummy and leave if we don’t sign his friend, and he does not seem the sort of person that would do that anyway.
Did I say NC would leave if May wasn’t signed? No.
Do you honestly think that without his friendship, he’d be a priority signing?

Crashtest

Juniors
Did I say NC would leave if May wasn’t signed? No.
Do you honestly think that without his friendship, he’d be a priority signing?
Nobody said he was a priority signing, he was just extended for another year on probably a modest amount.

But that would of had nothing to do with his friendship with Nathan. The Panthers are a professionally run club and retention and recruitment decisions are decided by a committee, not just by the coach, and certainly not dictated by other players.

May would of been extended because he is the utility player at the club that is capable of covering the most positions. Every club needs a player or two like that, and by resigning May we would paid far less for him than if we had tried to poach a similar type of player from another club.

Pomoz

Bench
Nobody said he was a priority signing, he was just extended for another year on probably a modest amount.

But that would of had nothing to do with his friendship with Nathan. The Panthers are a professionally run club and retention and recruitment decisions are decided by a committee, not just by the coach, and certainly not dictated by other players.

May would of been extended because he is the utility player at the club that is capable of covering the most positions. Every club needs a player or two like that, and by resigning May we would paid far less for him than if we had tried to poach a similar type of player from another club.
The Storm game showed exactly why you have him in the team. When Luai went off, brining on Kenny to replace him would have changed the whole teams rhythm. Burton moves to 5/8th or Api moves and Kenny goes to hooker (assuming he was fit). It results in two position changes instead of one.

murraymob

Coach
I just hope the leniue Staines rumours are not true.last thing we need are more players at other clubs we are paying for .we still have next year for RCG and Blake to go

Original Name

Juniors
from what i have seen this year tago has more "heart" and hits the line harder. weight means nothing if you don't use it and lately kiks doesn't seem to use it. That or its become to predictable and he isnt effective anymore.
Everyone hits the line hard in their first year when they're fighting for a spot. Different beast than doing it week in week out, year in year out in the NRL. Weight does mean something. Playing smaller week in week in week out in the forwards means it's easier for the wear and tear to take a toll on your body over years and years, particularly at a a young age. He should be at centre to replace Burton. Centre's physically the easiest position to play. It's the best position for a teenager to play.

maple_69

Bench
Absolutely agree Tago should at least start at centre. I'm sure he'll shuffle onto the bench and spend some time two in at times.

Bench second row is the biggest question mark for mine. May, Sorenson and Hopgood seem the obvious ones to try. I wonder how Leniu would go on an edge also.

Fangs

Coach
I think we will see quite a few new faces in the back half of next season. Reserve grade should be back. Those players will get proper match fitness and be ready to play after the comedown from Origin.

Sad luck for guys like Lindsay Smith and J'Maine Hopgood. They really need to be playing consistent football.

Iamback

Coach
I think we will see quite a few new faces in the back half of next season. Reserve grade should be back. Those players will get proper match fitness and be ready to play after the comedown from Origin.

Sad luck for guys like Lindsay Smith and J'Maine Hopgood. They really need to be playing consistent football.

Even someone like Momo potentially can develop. I am not saying he will but he has never been at the same club 2 years in arow.
Tago will bulk up as will May.
Jenkins and Turuva are the ones with the higher ceilings

Latest posts