What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Whino

Bench
A few comments that Api will be old and past it by the time he goes to the Tigers. I don't see it that way.
He hasn't exactly been flogged as a player since he made his debut. Had a few injuries but I can't recall any serious ones. He has 4 years at Manly not playing 80 minutes a game. Des at times underused him. Only once he came back here the 2nd time he became an 80 minute player.
He is a crafty bugger and if the motivation is there and he is used properly I think he will go well at the Tigers for a couple of years. If his motivation is a big payday it will end in tears.
I don't know all the in's and out's on our end. Maybe we weren't prepared to match or get close to the Tiger's offer with the Vax question mark hanging over his head.
Given the lack of quality options out there I do wonder if we have played our cards right. Our next move will be telling.

maple_69

Bench
So we have a wing, centre, starting hooker, starting second rower and bench second rower position to fill for 2023.

Surely between Staines, May, Jenkins, Tago, Turuva and Nadurutalo our system can spit out a quality centre/wing pairing in the next year.

Edges we need maybe one of Geyer/Tago/Puru to hit their potential.

Hooker we need Kenny, Mason or Smith to take a few steps.

We have a number of options and a system that just hasn’t missed in the last few years with bringing kids through and getting them to hit their ceilings. That’s not accounting for project signings hitting which we’ve had good success with recently or dropping 3-500K on a proven B grade star in a position we need help in.

There’s definitely holes in the squad now but I’d be shocked if there was more than one big question mark remaining going into 2023 which we also had going into this year and last (centre & wing in 21 and five eighth in 20).

If we can’t get a solid Cup and Flegg season in I’ll be a lot more concerned.

Iamback

Coach
A few comments that Api will be old and past it by the time he goes to the Tigers. I don't see it that way.
He hasn't exactly been flogged as a player since he made his debut. Had a few injuries but I can't recall any serious ones. He has 4 years at Manly not playing 80 minutes a game. Des at times underused him. Only once he came back here the 2nd time he became an 80 minute player.
He is a crafty bugger and if the motivation is there and he is used properly I think he will go well at the Tigers for a couple of years. If his motivation is a big payday it will end in tears.
I don't know all the in's and out's on our end. Maybe we weren't prepared to match or get close to the Tiger's offer with the Vax question mark hanging over his head.
Given the lack of quality options out there I do wonder if we have played our cards right. Our next move will be telling.

The Vaxx is the huge. Potentially could miss 8 games. That drives the price down and someone like WT can afford that risk.

So details are key for me. As is who we get now

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
[/QUOTE]
The Vaxx is the huge. Potentially could miss 8 games. That drives the price down and someone like WT can afford that risk.

So details are key for me. As is who we get now

Exactly.

I am hoping that Kenny like others before him makes huge strides when he plays hooker this year.

Regarding the 3rd year mutual option. I'm yet to be convinced that year is included in the original price tag of his contract, because it is listed for 2 years, not 3.

Smug Panther

First Grade

Exactly.

I am hoping that Kenny like others before him makes huge strides when he plays hooker this year.

Regarding the 3rd year mutual option. I'm yet to be convinced that year is included in the original price tag of his contract, because it is listed for 2 years, not 3.
[/QUOTE]
Not trying to hate on Kenny because he is all heart but he'll simply never have the craftiness to be great. He can be a great 14 but that's his level

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
The vax is a non issue. A lot will happen in 12 months. API’s problem will be being coached by Maguire.

I'm not so sure, especially with the variants coming out. Api (at this stage) is unable to get into even Penrith's leagues club, travel to NZ, Qld and Vic.

Those vaccination rules won't be moving till at least mid season 22, if not longer knowing how trigger happy NZ, Qld and Vic premiers are in closing borders and the like.

DinkyDi

Juniors
Imo Api was the best hooker in the game in 2020.
He was ok this year but not as good. Maybe on the way down who knows.
What has been proven, in my opinion, is that he is not a team player. Without a shadow of a doubt, his stance, on vaccinations, has played a major factor with his move.

Smug Panther

First Grade
What has been proven, in my opinion, is that he is not a team player. Without a shadow of a doubt, his stance, on vaccinations, has played a major factor with his move.
He's all team player to say otherwise is incorrect. He is capable of so much more on the field but just does enough to allow our halves and Yeo to do their magic

Latest posts