What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
If Tago is starting at centre then Sos on the bench doesn’t really work as we still won’t have anyone who can cover the centres in case of an injury to the outside backs or fullback. He covers the halves obviously and may be able to spot Api at hooker but we still don’t have a lot of flexibility with him on the bench.

Thecway the concussion rules are now I think we need to have some one who can slot into the centres in case of an injury in positions 1-5. Either one of our back rowers like a capewell or burns(which we don’t seem to have) or a utility. The same goes for Kenny really except it’s maybe worse, if hes on the bench we really don’t cover for the whole backline, at least sos and salmon can cover the halves, Kenny can’t do that. Maybe we could shift api if a half goes down but that still leaves the rest of the backline with no cover. I really think Salmon is a shoe in for Mays spot at this stage assuming Tago will get first crack at the centre spot.

That is it. Kenny worked as 14 with Burton and Capewell in the side. This is where no May gets difficult

mxlegend99

Referee
Depends how well we cover the bench utility this year. Can't know his value until then
His utility value is massively overrated.

He's a terrible centre.
He's an average half at best.
He's an average relief hooker.
He's an average second row/lock.

Being able to cover positions at poor standards should not make someone a utility. He hasnt looked an NRL player in a long time.

You can throw anyone in any position and get similar results to May. Never understood how players can build a rep as a utility based on playing average footy in numerous positions. Kurt Gidley was the king of that. Tyrone May comes close

Smug Panther

First Grade

He's a terrible centre.

Being able to cover positions at poor standards should not make someone a utility. He hasnt looked an NRL player in a long time.

You can throw anyone in any position and get similar results to May. Never understood how players can build a rep as a utility based on playing average footy in numerous positions. Kurt Gidley was the king of that. Tyrone May comes close
And that's it. If a player can't play a single position at NRL level then they have no place in the side

betcats

Referee

He's a terrible centre.

I don’t want may back but the fact is he could cover those positions in a pinch without getting carved up and occasionally his ball playing would create something. Throw Kenny in the centres or halves and defensively he will get carved up, not sure about SOS but I suspect he would struggle in the centres quite a bit and could never play as a backrower or lock. May might not be good at any one position but he’s good enough all round to be a genuine utility player which definitely has some value, there aren’t a lot of players like that. We never lost a game cause of May coming on as an injury cover for someone, he generally manages to hold his own wherever you put him, I think people underrate that massively.

betcats

Referee
And that's it. If a player can't play a single position at NRL level then they have no place in the side

Rubbish there’s always been a place for genuine utilities when they come along. They are just kind of rare cause its hard to find someone who can cover enough positions.

betcats

Referee
A utility player is not someone who is starting quality in a number of positions. It’s someone who can play a number of positions adequately enough that they won’t lose you the game. They are there for injury cover for the most part, you throw them when someone goes down to stop a reshuffle of the starters exactly like we did against the storm earlier in the year. If no one goes down they get a few minutes somewhere to give someone a rest. I don’t like may and I wouldn’t start him anywhere but his ability to play multiple positions as cover was valuable imo. Find me a player who is starting quality in all the positions may played this season and I’ll show you the best rugby league player ever.

The emphasis on player welfare and concussion has made utilities almost a must have on the bench now, there’s getting knocked out and playing on anymore which has made it more likely you will need to cover someone. Whether it’s one genuine utility player or a couple of guys in the side who can play a couple of positions you need to be able to cover everyone these days.

Black Magik

Juniors
Rubbish there’s always been a place for genuine utilities when they come along. They are just kind of rare cause its hard to find someone who can cover enough positions.
Exactly. Peachy is the classic utility. He can play one position really well if required to come on early as a replacement one week but can't repeat it if he starts. As a utility he has limited time which reduces his mistakes, his selfish plays and his missed tackles. May is the same...just a little slower.

Iamback

Coach

He's a terrible centre.

We will soon find out.

I don't think we beat Storm in Round 3 if we have to reshuffle the side.

That is the trade off. Have someone that is a weaker player that can play several positions - they can then slot straight in for a HIA

or pick your best 17 and have middles play on the edges. Halves in the centre etc

option 1 allows the team to function as normal

Iamback

Coach
Exactly. Peachy is the classic utility. He can play one position really well if required to come on early as a replacement one week but can't repeat it if he starts. As a utility he has limited time which reduces his mistakes, his selfish plays and his missed tackles. May is the same...just a little slower.

Peachey and May are the only 2 actual utilities I can think of. Other teams carry a smaller guy but often a starter needs to move

Iamback

Coach
I don’t want may back but the fact is he could cover those positions in a pinch without getting carved up and occasionally his ball playing would create something. Throw Kenny in the centres or halves and defensively he will get carved up, not sure about SOS but I suspect he would struggle in the centres quite a bit and could never play as a backrower or lock. May might not be good at any one position but he’s good enough all round to be a genuine utility player which definitely has some value, there aren’t a lot of players like that. We never lost a game cause of May coming on as an injury cover for someone, he generally manages to hold his own wherever you put him, I think people underrate that massively.

Exactly. It isn't about May as such it is finding someone to do that same role

Iamback

Coach
He does but not to a very good standard though. Look at the GF, he nearly lost us the game except for the Crichton intercept.

That is one example.

Him slotting into FB in Round 3. Given Burton was already in the halves did well.

Or the PF. In a tight game he could slot in while Luai was getting a HIA. I don't remember anything bad then?

That allowed Burton to stay at centre instead of forcing Burton in one. Putting Capewell from the right side to left.

Much better when someone just comes in