What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Original Name

Juniors
Spectacular is overrated. While Edwards received his ring having played a significant role in the win with a broken foot, Turbo, Teddy, Paps, Latrell, Gutho, Hynes and all the other spectacular fullbacks watched on from home.
Specutalur isn't overrated. What's overrated is specular that's not good value for money. Nathan Cleary on 940K is unders, you can get value for money contracting special players if you contract them smart enough like we did for Cleary in 2018.

Edwards is a bit too maligned, he’s better than other fans give him credit for, but equally he does have some weaknesses.

I could see the Dolphins offering him 500-600k.

If we don’t re-sign Edwards we’ll have to face the fact that we’ve let our best long term fullback option walk for one year of Paul Momirovski

Not really. Laurie was going at the end of 2021 anyway, we just let him go a year early. It was still a fair deal considering we were going to lose Laurie.

But I will say, I’m a little surprised we backed Staines over Laurie. Laurie has more all round skills for fullback. But it might be the case that they felt Laurie couldn’t play a few years on the wing.

Kilkenny

Coach
Edwards is a bit too maligned, he’s better than other fans give him credit for, but equally he does have some weaknesses.

I could see the Dolphins offering him 500-600k.
I would have thought we would offer him the same sort of money.

Dylan Edwards is great value for money at 500-600k a season.

I tend to think the reason his re-signing has not been confirmed is the length of the deal we are prepared to offer him.

Ivan isn't exactly impartial though. It's a massive conflict of interest with the close relationship between May and the Cleary's so even if I'm being unfair about May's form I wouldn't trust the coach to be making the best decision under the circumstances. Especially when no other fanbase would be happy to get him. We're the only ones even discussing it.
We are the only Premiers as well.

I would have thought we would offer him the same sort of money.

Dylan Edwards is great value for money at 500-600k a season.

I tend to think the reason his re-signing has not been confirmed is the length of the deal we are prepared to offer him.

Purely speculating, but I’d say his market value is probably around mid 400k, maybe high 400’s.

I couldn’t imagine we’d go as high as 600k.

Kilkenny

Coach
Ivan Cleary didn’t select Tyrone May because he is best mates with his son. He selected him on merit because he did a job for the team. By all means hate Tyrone May for his indiscretions but he at all times did the job asked off him by his coach. He was the best person for the job, at the time, with no better a,ternatives. Over the course of two seasons he was the ideal utility, did his job, from my perspective did it pretty well.

Dylan’s twice the player Clint Gutherson is so if he is worth $800k then Dylan is worthy of 600k at the very least.

I don’t know what Gutherson is getting, but I do know the talk in the papers is almost always inflated.

As for who‘s better, I’d have to say Gutherson. But contract value is sometimes what a player is worth to a particular club and what we can afford. Our top 5 paid players after 2022 are Cleary, Luai, Crichton, Yeo & JFH, so there can’t be much more money to throw big bucks at Edwards.

hindy111

Post Whore
His utility value is massively overrated.

He's a terrible centre.
He's an average half at best.
He's an average relief hooker.
He's an average second row/lock.

Being able to cover positions at poor standards should not make someone a utility. He hasnt looked an NRL player in a long time.

You can throw anyone in any position and get similar results to May. Never understood how players can build a rep as a utility based on playing average footy in numerous positions. Kurt Gidley was the king of that. Tyrone May comes close

Salmon is as good or better imo. I've never seen May do anything that made me feel he is an NRL player. Tyrone Peachey would be handy if cheap

Kilkenny

Coach
I don’t know what Gutherson is getting, but I do know the talk in the papers is almost always inflated.

As for who‘s better, I’d have to say Gutherson. But contract value is sometimes what a player is worth to a particular club and what we can afford. Our top 5 paid players after 2022 are Cleary, Luai, Crichton, Yeo & JFH, so there can’t be much more money to throw big bucks at Edwards.
Who really knows . your opinion is Gutherson is a better player I think differently. Makes no difference what you or I think. Dylan Edwards is worth what the club believes he is worth that is all that matters. We put forward a deal on the table if the Dolphins can better it, so be it, i have no issue with it. I’m disappointed our GF side has been decimated but it is what it is. I’m not going to bag the powers that be because I have faith they know what there doing.

hindy111

Post Whore
Dylan’s twice the player Clint Gutherson is so if he is worth $800k then Dylan is worthy of 600k at the very least.

Please provide stats to back this up. This is what I find with stats which is a great way to measure a players performance. Fans tend to remember a few flashy moments like the ones Ponga provides before going missing.

So In last 5yrs Edwards has 19 Try assists and 26 line breaks.
Gutherson has 60 Ta's and 52 line breaks.
Guth also has a higher tackle efficiency and his try saving ability would be top 3 in NRL if not no 1.

47 tries vs 21 to Guth the winner here..
Forced drop outs
27 to 3 to Gutherson gets the tick

Line break assists Gutherson had 22,17 and 16 in last 3yrs.
I can only find stats on top 50 players. Edwards didn't feature once in the list so had less the 5 each of those years. So that's 55 to at most 15....

Under the bomb Gutherson is safer also.

Edwards had more tackle breaks this season. 99 vs 84. And he does carry the ball stronger.

He was signed for 750k. What is Edwards worth?

Imo Critchon has X FACTOR. He should be the long term fullback. In games he clicked back there it was another level. Edwards is a solid NRL first grader. Nothing more.

hindy111

Post Whore
A side note to remember. Ryan Matterson signed at the Tigers when Ivan was coach. Part of his reason for leaving was he didn’t sign under Maguire. Wouldn’t shock me to see Ryan Matterson come into discussion for 2023 along with Tariq Sims.

Mattersons concern is head knocks. I reckon he is one more HIA from being medically retired like Cordner.
Tariq is Eels bound. I'm not keen in the old men we are burning in. Smells like desperation to me and back to the basement jn a few years.

Lucky I have a 2nd team.

hindy111

Post Whore
Agree, seems to be a bit of a prima donna. Eels reportedly have not made a contract renewal offer.(buyer beware).

They also did not pick him in the semi final against Knights when available and used a NSW cup player Makatoa who was 28 when debut. That says a lot to me.

hindy111

Post Whore
Where is that nuffy Rhyno bagging us over losses and signings
Parra let a gun 23 year old hooker go to sign a guy who in 2023 will be 32

It's depressing. He will be 33 and 2 x knee recos. But I understand Rheed. Eels offered 550k which I think is a solid offer. Dogs where happy to throw 650k.
I still have doubts on Rheed due to his size. He is a weakness in defense close to the line and has no running game. With the new rules I feel zippy hookers will be back in fashion.