What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Reading Matthew Johns comments this morning on Hosking. I would say the morons at Newcastle failed to see his talent

To qoute Johns
"From the first time I saw Hosking play in the Knights under 20s team, there was no doubt in my mind that he was an NRL player. He had the skills, the smarts, the toughness and the character. Yet he was largely ignored".
Is the players loan window closed?, if not might be possible to get him early .

soc123_au

Staff member
How long did the first four ‘Rumours and Confirmed Signings’ go for?
There used to be a post limit of 3000 posts a thread & it would auto lock. It changed a few years ago. That’s why you will see some threads with a number after them, the lol@souffs thread being an example.

Reading Matthew Johns comments this morning on Hosking. I would say the morons at Newcastle failed to see his talent

To qoute Johns
"From the first time I saw Hosking play in the Knights under 20s team, there was no doubt in my mind that he was an NRL player. He had the skills, the smarts, the toughness and the character. Yet he was largely ignored".
I watched Hosking very closely in both his first grade games this year as he was in my SuperCoach side. He was great in both games and is a very good signing IMO.

The fact Brisbane fans are upset that he is leaving and would prefer him to be starting edge over Riki should tell you something.

Iamback

Coach
Chrichton's still looked pretty effective taking one out hit ups, getting in between defenders to take quick play the balls relatively consistently, it's not like he's been butchering a bunch of try scoring opportunities and he's pretty much always good in defence. Dunno what you want from him. He's been good for us. To'o looks like he's been playing injured.

That is it Crichton stacks up well against almost every centre, Just the right side is poor at attack

Iamback

Coach
Yes and No. Burton will cost over a mill but isn't in 2023.
Flanno and Averilo would be cheap for spine players.
Come 2024 Josh Jackson and the Pommy will be gone.
Their backline would be fairly cheap bar JAC

You will never get backs for cheap under Gus.

He said all his time here, he never lets a player be underpaid. I doubt they have a starter under $400k

Pomoz

Bench
You will never get backs for cheap under Gus.

He said all his time here, he never lets a player be underpaid. I doubt they have a starter under $400k
Underpaid and cheap are not the same thing. I’m with Gus on this, underpaying staff in any job breeds discontent and increases the likelihood they will leave. You have to pay market value and usually can discount this slightly if they are a junior, or like the team culture. That is not the same as getting somebody cheap where their pay reflects their talent, because they aren’t a star. You can’t have 17 rep players in a team, the salary cap doesn’t allow it. You still need a few journeyman on low wages to fill out the roster.

API would not have left if Gus was here. He is probably underpaid relative to the market and sadly, the dollars on offer have rendered his critical thinking processes inoperable. He is leaving for more money, pure and simple. He has decided that signing with a team just belted by 72 points is a good idea. His career will probably be shortened by a stint at the Tigers. He will be tackling his butt off. There is no “next man up” culture at the Tigers. If he has a dip in form he will be hung out to dry by the back office, its what the Tigers do.

It is a terrible decision by API and his manager should be ashamed of himself. On paper he will make more money, in reality his career will be shortened because he is about to be trampled underfoot for most of the season, it will be difficult to make rep teams in a team where Adam Douehi is your best player and they are such losers they let the Storm have their best winger on loan. He would have been better going to the Dolphins where they are building something and have an experienced coach in place. He could be a foundation member of something special.

Nothing good comes out of pursuing money, for money’’s sake (please don’t insult me by saying API has gone there because he thinks they are going to be challenging for titles). The worst job I had in the last 20 years was the highest paid. It was boring, unchallenging and I was glad when it ended. API is about to find out why money isn’t everything.

Just so we are clear, I am not angry with API because he is leaving the Panthers. I am just disappointed that he is leaving us to go to such a poor team and made a decision so transparently about money. API, what were you thinking?

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
markT

To old to slow for today’s game .we have good forwards and good ones coming

Fair enough. I was thinking of him to basically pay cup and mentor the young ones.

Look at the difference in Tamou's apology last night, compared to many others. He actually meant what he said.

Shows the mark of the man.

Iamback

Coach
Underpaid and cheap are not the same thing. I’m with Gus on this, underpaying staff in any job breeds discontent and increases the likelihood they will leave. You have to pay market value and usually can discount this slightly if they are a junior, or like the team culture. That is not the same as getting somebody cheap where their pay reflects their talent, because they aren’t a star. You can’t have 17 rep players in a team, the salary cap doesn’t allow it. You still need a few journeyman on low wages to fill out the roster.

API would not have left if Gus was here. He is probably underpaid relative to the market and sadly, the dollars on offer have rendered his critical thinking processes inoperable. He is leaving for more money, pure and simple. He has decided that signing with a team just belted by 72 points is a good idea. His career will probably be shortened by a stint at the Tigers. He will be tackling his butt off. There is no “next man up” culture at the Tigers. If he has a dip in form he will be hung out to dry by the back office, its what the Tigers do.

It is a terrible decision by API and his manager should be ashamed of himself. On paper he will make more money, in reality his career will be shortened because he is about to be trampled underfoot for most of the season, it will be difficult to make rep teams in a team where Adam Douehi is your best player and they are such losers they let the Storm have their best winger on loan. He would have been better going to the Dolphins where they are building something and have an experienced coach in place. He could be a foundation member of something special.

Nothing good comes out of pursuing money, for money’’s sake (please don’t insult me by saying API has gone there because he thinks they are going to be challenging for titles). The worst job I had in the last 20 years was the highest paid. It was boring, unchallenging and I was glad when it ended. API is about to find out why money isn’t everything.

Just so we are clear, I am not angry with API because he is leaving the Panthers. I am just disappointed that he is leaving us to go to such a poor team and made a decision so transparently about money. API, what were you thinking?

In the same boat. What succesful team doesn't have some team friendly contracts?

Ali admitted it was money, the fact there is still no Salary cap for next year, we really had no option to match it without losing other guys.

So I get the clubs point of view, not that I agree with it

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Really well said.

I think (don't know for sure) that Api was offered huge money to leave Penrith. It is a poor choice for his management, because with him going there, the extra money for origin and the like probably won't be available for him.

I do think that Gus at times perhaps even 'over paid' players, which meant a mess for the salary cap books at Penrith. Gus was always ready to pay for potential.

Like I said yesterday I'm hopeful that Kenny and Luke will do OK next year for us. I was impressed with Kenny's defence and toughness on Thursday night.

Smug Panther

First Grade

Probably thinking "f**k Penrith if they don't value my services"
Imagine thinking it's a good move to pay Critter more than Api

Munky

Coach
Api's money at the Tigers is guaranteed for atleast two years. I can't figure out what a mutual option is (a mutual option isn't an option) but I imagine it's really in his favour for the third year.

The guaranteed money is important, if he wants to apply for any form of financing he needs to show he'll receive the money.

Go to a bank and say you're a good chance of three discretionary payments a year on your loan application and see what they say.

Crashtest

Juniors
Probably thinking "f**k Penrith if they don't value my services"
Imagine thinking it's a good move to pay Critter more than Api
I think the way he has played this season and the attitude he has displayed shows that there are no hard feelings between the club and Api.

He obviously wants the most money on the longest contract he can get for his last NRL contract, and the Panther simply can’t prudently match what the weak and desperate clubs are willing to offer.