What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

I don’t want to lose Crichton, but I don’t want to see the club pay him 800k+ either. Paying a centre that much just isn’t smart business and with Edwards improvement there really isn’t room for him to move to FB for some time.

Blues Riff

Bench

mxlegend99

Referee
Not necessarily.

If every minimum wage player gets bumped from $80k to $150k.

5 minimum wage players take up an extra $350k. 10 players take up an extra $700k. We can't have guys on. $120k etc. And aguy who might have looked at $150k as a healthy upgrade would now want more as it's the minimum wage.

Now every club will be in that situation obviously. But we're flat out trying to keep what we already have and this will just make it that much harder.

Big Mick

Referee

5 minimum wage players take up an extra $350k. 10 players take up an extra $700k. We can't have guys on. $120k etc. And aguy who might have looked at $150k as a healthy upgrade would now want more as it's the minimum wage.

Now every club will be in that situation obviously. But we're flat out trying to keep what we already have and this will just make it that much harder.

TBH the premise of increasing minimum is a good one.

Because then I think it will balance out the top wages too. So it could end up having a bit of a re-balance in wage structures across the entire competition.

I think if it does happen - what you will see is a lot of the top players get encouraged to re-structure their teams to take out jumps with % of salary cap increase in order to improve squad balance.

Now, whether they would accept that or not is another story - but I imagine that will be the conversations that would be happening with clubs and their top 3-4 earners.

I always find with these types of negotiations it never ends up near what one side wants. Whether it be a minimum wage target or specific salary cap rise.
The fact that a proposal has been conveniently leaked, and there is some push back, more than likely means there will be a compromise.

Exactly, and thanks for articulating my meaning.

chrisD

Coach
Phil Gould has not won a premiership since he was coaching director when Ricky Stuart led the Sydney Roosters to the 2002 title.
But he sure has broken records for player and coach sackings over the past decade at Penrith Panthers and now the Canterbury Bulldogs, costing the two clubs upwards of $6 million.
Gus was doing nothing more than making happen what Ivan and Hook wanted/needed. And is probably doing the same for Ciraldo. Making out like Gus is some cut-throat isn't the reality. Ivan is the one happy to push players out, perhaps immorally, if they're not onboard or costing too much.

Fair enough he canned Cleary, but discontent forced him into canning Hook and Barrett was a popular decision.

Whino

Bench
I don’t want to lose Crichton, but I don’t want to see the club pay him 800k+ either. Paying a centre that much just isn’t smart business and with Edwards improvement there really isn’t room for him to move to FB for some time.

I wouldn't either but i would be surprised if we offered anything near the media fed target of $800K.

Last time he was off contract his manager leaked an asking price of $750k. There a stalemate, reported strong interest elsewhere (that never went anywhere) Then he eventually re-signed. The media lied with a figure near $750k.
Then the rich list comes out this year and he is reportedly on $615k.

Last edited:

snickers007

Juniors
2022 Salary Cap was $9.118m. Media is reporting that the Panthers are expecting a 2023 Salary Cap of $9.3m. A difference of $182k.
That allows for 2.6 minimum wage players to be upgraded at the proposed RLPA rate.

With an extra team in the competition, and talent being naturally dispursed, all clubs will rely further on minimum wage players this season, not less.

The NRL need to get this deal over the line, so I'm expecting they'll budge the most - and will likely be something like $130k minimum wage, and a $10.25m salary cap for 2023, increasing to $150k and $11m by 2026.

Black Panther

Juniors
I would either but i would be surprised if we offered anything near the media fed target of $800K.

Last time he was off contract his manager leaked an asking price of $750k. There a stalemate, reported strong interest elsewhere (that never went anywhere) Then he eventually re-signed. The media lied with a figure near $750k.
Then the rich list comes out this year and he is reportedly on $615k.
That was before our Assistant Coach was Coaching Fulltime. I think you will find that there will be a lot of interest in Crichton this time, the Digs being the number 1 club chasing.
After the success he has had over the last 2 years going back to back with Penrith, playing Origin and the World Cup, he has more than stated his case to be signed elsewhere on a higher rate an elite player would expect .

Original Name

Juniors
I don't understand why other top teams amount of players on minimum wage wouldn't be the same as us. Chooks recruit players no other club wants all the time. If no other club wants you why wouldn't you be on minimum, you've got no options.

The salary cap's the same for everyone so every smart operators would put the pieces of the jigsaw in a similar way. Regardless there's more important things than results on a football field. It's the right thing to do to put the minimum wage floor up.