What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

panthersam

Juniors
Shittttttt all I know is I’ll continue to try and be as positive as I can be when it comes to the mighty Penrith Panthers and whoever wants to ride that wave with me they are more than welcome to!

Penrith Panthers premiers 2021 lesssgoooo baby

Original Name

Juniors
This overly positive or negative stuff goes both ways. Remember all the wanking about how great Waqa Blake is? About how we were wasting his prime years by not using him enough. Some on here at the time were hyping him up like he was as good as Joey Manu is now and it was only because we weren't giving enough ball that he wasn't considered a top 2 or 3 centre.

He's gone to the Eels and he's been a liability there, their worst player by far last year and he was in a good team.

Last edited:

WestyLife

First Grade
A few simple facts.

1. We know players wanted to test their value so didn't take up early offers. Club can't hold a gun to their head and force them to sign.

2. Still paying for RCG and Blake.

3. People wanted Burton after the two games they played together and Burton was the better half, not pre season.

panthersam

Juniors
This overly positive or negative stuff goes both ways. Remember all the wanking about how great Waqa Blake is? About how we were wasting his prime years by not using him enough. Some on here at the time were hyping him up like he was as good as Joey Manu is now and it was only because we weren't giving enough ball that he wasn't considered a top 2 or 3 centre.

He's gone to the Eels and he's been a liability there, their worst player by far last year and he was in a good team.

Until we’ve been given an actual reason to be negative then I’ll continue to be positive, it’s as simple as that for me.

Reality is, absolutely nobody knows what 2021 has in store for James Tamou, Moses Leota, Josh Mansour, Charlie Staines, Spencer Lenin, Waqa Blake or any player in the competition at this stage lol I’m not saying I will be here posting preaching the positivity if we are halfway through the season and running last because none of our players are performing, nor will I be shitting on Josh Mansour or James Tamou if they are the premier players in the position.

To me it’s just pointless to flaunt the negativity towards or about our club before a ball has even been kicked for this season :shrug:♂️ it’s what is done by James Hooper, Paul Kent and the likes constantly so I hope to come somewhere like these forums to be on the other end of that.

You are right that everyone is entitled to their opinion though, I’m not trying to deny anyone of that. What I am trying to do is understand the reason for some opinions and hopefully use my own thoughts and feelings towards this great team to possibly sway some negativity to a more positive way of thinking. Thats how I am as person in real life, so it isn’t going to change on these forums. Opinions might be divided on me but I’m willing to take that.

I’ll finish this post by reinforcement of the excitement I have to come for season 2021, I think we are going to see some special things by the boys in our team and I just wish I didn’t have to wait another three weeks or so for it to get underway!

Penrith Panthers 2021 Premiers lessssgoooo baby

panthersam

Juniors
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/dr...y/news-story/9e41583fd4708c5d38b3728fbaf8d812

This is what i was talking about regarding having benji in the squad

That was a great article to read, Benji seems like such a stand up human being and will no doubt go down as one of the greatest to ever do it.

Out of all of our players, I think I have the biggest man crush on Romey HAHA seems like he is incredibly genuine human being, with a huge desire to both compete and be successful all while staying humble and grounded which would be incredibly hard at times for a young man in this position that he is in.

I think he has a huge year ahead of him, do they still not offer any odds for Dally M winners? Would be very interested to see what Jarome would be paying!

franklin2323

Immortal
The loss of tamou was huge. I know we had no plans to keep him but still huge.

Tetevano- similar but not to the same extent. Unplanned and left us in a slight hole.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the work tamou did off the ball. In an around marker.

Like it or not Leota and Spencer are a long long way of being up to Tamous standard in that department. Leota is not great laterally and both he and Spencer gas out quickly. I have no doubt they will improve but it is still a huge area they will need to get better at. Our defence was next level last year and we won games off it. I worry we have lost a bit losing tamou.

These forums frustrate me. Long time reader and very rarely post but if people think the club has been efficient this off season... wow! Have they really tho, take the panthers jersey off and look without the bias.

Yeo- was never going to leave, could've been upgraded ages ago, for probably cheaper.

Critchon- not sure why the club let it string out so long. It was obvious after 6-8 games he was going to be something special. They agreed to handshake deal way before the finals then it got dragged out and we got strung along by his management.

Staines- allowed him to test market when the club obviously had plans not to keep mansour.... just let Staines bump up his own price before releasing sauce.

Luai- again, the club obviously would have known by mid season last year he was the plan. Him and Nathan havealways been fantastic together. They left it (still) to long getting it done.

Burton- i understand not being able to resign..cant compete with ludicrous money. For all his love by all on here he is hugely untested. Played a few nrl games and you are all in love. Luai absolutely killed it in his first few nrl games... even without experienced halves by his side. Yet you all threw him on the scrap heap for burton before a ball was kicked in 2020.

I have no doubt that a few juniors will step up re Lindsay Smith and others. But letting go of tets, sauce, tamou, whare, will have an effect.

Look at how many players we used last year. It wasn't 17 or 18 or 21. Sure we look strong 1-20. But 21 odd to 25 is largely untested and young....

25 onwards we don't even have and trials start next week.

Welcome to the forum.

now on to this post

Say we keep Tamou, Mansour etc... we lose guys we plan for the future with

That would of been a horrible off season in that case

franklin2323

Immortal
A few simple facts.

1. We know players wanted to test their value so didn't take up early offers. Club can't hold a gun to their head and force them to sign.

2. Still paying for RCG and Blake.

3. People wanted Burton after the two games they played together and Burton was the better half, not pre season.

The amount of people that think a contract extension is a quick thing is mindblowing

WestyLife

First Grade
Welcome to the forum.

now on to this post

Doing what people are saying is why teams like Tigers, Cowboys etc. Have been in the top 8. You have to think strategically not emotionally.

The amount of people that think a contract extension is a quick thing is mindblowing

Exactly.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Welcome to the forum.

now on to this post

No no no footy players are basically just sacks of meat for our entertainment. They should sign contracts early at a much lower rate, for ya know reasons.....

franklin2323

Immortal
Doing what people are saying is why teams like Tigers, Cowboys etc. Have been in the top 8. You have to think strategically not emotionally.

Exactly.

I do get that we have had juniors over hyped in the past. This is different

Guys like Crichton and co were a big part of doing what only a handful of teams have before.

Staines for Mansour looks like a risk but it isn't like he is the only option. Naden is a better winger than centre. Him going also allows Mom to come in. So you really just strengthen the right side at the cost of a winger

WestyLife

First Grade
I do get that we have had juniors over hyped in the past. This is different

Guys like Crichton and co were a big part of doing what only a handful of teams have before.

Staines for Mansour looks like a risk but it isn't like he is the only option. Naden is a better winger than centre. Him going also allows Mom to come in. So you really just strengthen the right side at the cost of a winger

Exactly what I've been trying to get across. The roster is better balanced now.

betcats

Referee
I have no doubt we will have a strong year and I can't wait for it. But to think the club have done a fantastic job in the off season is just crap.

Im sure they will release burton for napa or another prop and when luai or cleary go down injured we will all be screaming out for why the club let burton go in pre season.

We'll he will no doubt be let go because we are seriously short on front rowers pre season and the club left us in this position by not being prepared. I hope it doesn't cone back to bite us!

I think they have done very well. You are trying turn being short a depth prop into a big issue but they will sign another prop, Leniu and Leota will fill Tamou and Tetavano's roles. You are making mountains out of molehills.

Latest posts