What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

mxlegend99

Referee
Keeping the powder dry at the moment and just watching. There will be a ripple coming up over the bye weeks and the usual mad scramble when clubs have to fill the 30th spot. If a good deal pops up the club will pounce. If not, promote from within.
Cleary in Origin camp gonna convince Turbo to stop carrying the Sea Eagles and join us to win a premiership.

Cleary in Origin camp gonna convince Turbo to stop carrying the Sea Eagles and join us to win a premiership.

Ha ha!! Imagine the commute for poor Turbo (though I think Girds managed it whilst living at Church Point during his time at Penrith).

Unless he’s willing to trade in Mona Vale for Emu Plains.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think there a lot of cards to fall this season in terms of recruitment before the cut off and I think we need to be actively looking at our options if we have a few dollars up our sleeve.

We released Billy Burns and brought in Eddie Blacker which in hindsight isn’t looking such as great move right now given Eddie really doesn’t look anywhere near NRL standard.

I think we need to find, bring in another front rower before seasons end. We simply can’t risk the prospect of something unforeseen happening to JFH and not having someone capable of taking his place. I know there is no one out there who can do what he does to the same level but seriously if he gets injured we are in a world of hurt.,

Jane Murray

Bench
I think there a lot of cards to fall this season in terms of recruitment before the cut off and I think we need to be actively looking at our options if we have a few dollars up our sleeve.

We released Billy Burns and brought in Eddie Blacker which in hindsight isn’t looking such as great move right now given Eddie really doesn’t look anywhere near NRL standard.

I think we need to find, bring in another front rower before seasons end. We simply can’t risk the prospect of something unforeseen happening to JFH and not having someone capable of taking his place. I know there is no one out there who can do what he does to the same level but seriously if he gets injured we are in a world of hurt.,
You really need to trust Ivan, and his coaching staff.

Kilkenny

Coach
You really need to trust Ivan, and his coaching staff.

100% Jane. At the same time I simply express the same concerns held by many if not most Panthers fans. If something unforeseen happens to JFH we are stuffed basically. He is the one player, crucial to our on going success who we don’t have cover for.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again we cannot win the GF or even get there without JFH he is so crucial to our chances.

He is actually more important to our chances than Nathan Cleary. Sounds ridiculous I know but if Nathan goes down injured we could potentially go on with a Burton/Laui halves combination and be competitive.

JFH is irreplaceable given we don’t have anyone who can replace him.

Jane Murray

Bench
100% Jane. At the same time I simply express the same concerns held by many if not most Panthers fans. If something unforeseen happens to JFH we are stuffed basically. He is the one player, crucial to our on going success who we don’t have cover for.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again we cannot win the GF or even get there without JFH he is so crucial to our chances.

He is actually more important to our chances than Nathan Cleary. Sounds ridiculous I know but if Nathan goes down injured we could potentially go on with a Burton/Laui halves combination and be competitive.

In your opinion.

Kilkenny

Coach
In your opinion.

Not just my opinion Jane, I think it is widely recognised JFH is absolutely critical to our chances going forward.

We just don’t have another JFH or anyone who can deliver what he does.

We just need to hope he stays injury free he is just so important to our chances.

WestyLife

First Grade

Name a roster who can replace their best prop. I know you have an especially great love of props but we have better depth than most clubs.

Kilkenny

Coach
Name a roster who can replace their best prop. I know you have an especially great love of props but we have better depth than most clubs.

FFS mate. We can’t cover the loss of JFH if that were to happen.

We have depth everywhere but in the front row.

Answer the question, can we survive and win the GF without JFH.

Who in our depth delivers the 20 hit ups and 200 metres in his absence?

I’m not being negative here simply stating the obvious, even if that’s lost on you.

WestyLife

First Grade
FFS mate. We can’t cover the loss of JFH if that were to happen.

We have depth everywhere but in the front row.

Answer the question, can we survive and win the GF without JFH.

Who in our depth delivers the 20 hit ups and 200 metres in his absence?

I’m not being negative here simply stating the obvious, even if that’s lost on you.

I understand completely what you are saying. You would need Panthers salary cap to be higher than every other team to achieve what you want. Fish is a top 2 prop. Of course we can only have 1 of him. Every club in the comp would hurt with their best prop out like why is it even a question?!

Kilkenny

Coach
I understand completely what you are saying. You would need Panthers salary cap to be higher than every other team to achieve what you want. Fish is a top 2 prop. Of course we can only have 1 of him. Every club in the comp would hurt with their best prop out like why is it even a question?!

We love the narrative around our depth and I am as proud as any supporter about the place we are in right now.

At the same time, as you have rightly pointed out I have always held reservations about our front row depth.

Forwards win matches, that has been the widely held view for a long time now and probably is still the case.

JFH is a beast, our only beast in the front row.

The Storm, Roosters, Bunnies and other sides can probably cover losing a key front rower but we simply don’t have cover for losing JFH. We simply don’t have anybody who can take his place. He really is irreplaceable.

maple_69

Bench
You’d start with Leota and Martin with the same bench props and Tago/Hopgood/Sorenson taking the last bench spot. All would need to take more minutes and lift their output.

We can’t replace him but I wouldn’t put a line through them if he went down. Leniu, Leota and Martin all have a lot more to give than they get the opportunity to up front I think.

Anyway we’re all largely in agreement I think. I’ve said it before but I’d love Tapau if Manly had continued to struggle. Even Hess to play in the middle.

betcats

Referee
We love the narrative around our depth and I am as proud as any supporter about the place we are in right now.

At the same time, as you have rightly pointed out I have always held reservations about our front row depth.

Forwards win matches, that has been the widely held view for a long time now and probably is still the case.

JFH is a beast, our only beast in the front row.

The Storm, Roosters, Bunnies and other sides can probably cover losing a key front rower but we simply don’t have cover for losing JFH. We simply don’t have anybody who can take his place. He really is irreplaceable.

Your reservations about our depth have been shown to be ridiculous. Remember how confident you were we had a bad offseason and would get worse? I do. Whinging about all the players we lost like sauce and Tamou, we covered them easily and got better, maybe it’s time for you to give our coaches more credit.

Jane Murray

Bench

Exactly, and the ones we do keep are the best of the juniors at our club.

Your reservations about our depth have been shown to be ridiculous. Remember how confident you were we had a bad offseason and would get worse? I do. Whinging about all the players we lost like sauce and Tamou, we covered them easily and got better, maybe it’s time for you to give our coaches more credit.

Our junior system is great, and some of those players are NRL ready. How can one know if they will make it if they are not given the chance?

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Exactly, and the ones we do keep are the best of the juniors at our club.

Our junior system is great, and some of those players are NRL ready. How can one know if they will make it if they are not given the chance?

We have a much better chance of developing someone to cover fish than we do singing someone to cover him I am sure of that. I don't really get what Kilkenny expects, no club that had fish could cover his loss, he is mentioning storm roosters and souths but we have equal or better middle depth than all of those clubs in particular souths who have quite poor middles at full strenght and depth wise, it is easily their biggest weakness.

age.s

First Grade
I'm as big a fan of Fish as anyone, but there is no one player we'd be lost without. We are so far ahead of everyone bar Melbourne its obscene.

mxlegend99

Referee
This is undoubtedly our best start to a season ever. But hes not wrong about Fish being irreplaceable. He's by far our best front rower and I'm not sure how we would cope without him... And he's the only player who I think we couldn't adequately cover.

We would still belt to bottom 11 teams without him. But in the finals i think his loss would be too much to overcome. Not sure how anyone ever thought we would miss Mansour though. We had too many backs fighting for a spot as it was.

Obviously Martin is next to move to front row. But no one can get through the work Fish days and do so as well as he does. He's the best front rower in the game.

Smug Panther

First Grade
The dream of keeping this side together is unattainable and will send us back to the pre Gus days if we chase it. You need to keep the right players and a prop isn't one of those