What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

franklin2323

Immortal
Melbourne have proven over many year player identification is the key.Capewell was always a player with potential he come to us now is a star.there are plenty more out there
The core group is signed for a few years.Sign the odd 1 or 2 and keep developing players
Let’s face it the gap between top 4 and the rest is huge we don’t need a lot to stay above them

Throw in a few juniors. The odd Sorensen type plodder and we are fine

Flashstep

Juniors
Would have kept Capewell over Kikau tbh but can't blame him for leaving for more money at this point of his career.

Pretty gutted we lost him though he was a very good player.

maple_69

Bench
Keep Fish and Api, do your best to hang onto Kikau if he is open to reasonably significant unders ($650 or less) and replace everyone else with kids.

We could run out the below in 23 without any drop off I think. Just need Staines (or Turuva/Crichton) to work out and take your pick of a couple edge forwards, middle forwards, backs and utilities hitting their potential and plug them in.

Staines, To’o, Turuva/Jenkins, Crichton, Nadurulato/May, Luai, Cleary, Fish, Api, Leniu, Martin, Tago, Yeo, Smith, Hopgood

At end of 2022, Dyl Leota Kikau Api Momi all off...If we can keep Leota Api & Kikau from that list then Id be happy...
I agree with that. I would say Api and Leota would be my first priorities. I can see Kikau going elsewhere for a massive contract.

I do think Edwards has a role to play somewhere long-term as well. Depends on what he is after...

betcats

Referee
Capewell was always a good chance at leaving, he wants to go back to QLD and he is in that stage of his career where he can really cash in. If there was a good QLD team offering him a deal he would be gone already I think, he has said he wants to go somewhere competitive....if he leaves all the best to him. I am happy with the reports we got the Fish deal done, I think he is worth a lot, someone who drives the standards off the field through his hard work.

betcats

Referee
Out of our young forwards i think we can reliably expect Leniu and Hopgood to at least be solid bench players next season in the middle and possibly Smith though we need to see more of him. With Fish, Leota, Yeo, Huth and Martin/Sorenson able to play there we have the middle pretty well covered. If Capewell leaves Martin probably just goes straight on that edge another edge forward besides Sorenson would be nice. I think Tago will play next season in the centres but it will be interesting to see what happens there.

We certainly are going to have some big salary cap decisions around Dyl, Kiks, Api. Api is probably the most important for now but losing Capewell and Kikau two years running would be hard to manage.

murraymob

Coach
We also need to factor in the extra money we will receive with the players at other clubs we currently pay for having there there deals end that money coming in by itself will pay the extra for kikau

franklin2323

Immortal
Out of our young forwards i think we can reliably expect Leniu and Hopgood to at least be solid bench players next season in the middle and possibly Smith though we need to see more of him. With Fish, Leota, Yeo, Huth and Martin/Sorenson able to play there we have the middle pretty well covered. If Capewell leaves Martin probably just goes straight on that edge another edge forward besides Sorenson would be nice. I think Tago will play next season in the centres but it will be interesting to see what happens there.

We certainly are going to have some big salary cap decisions around Dyl, Kiks, Api. Api is probably the most important for now but losing Capewell and Kikau two years running would be hard to manage.

Where Tago plays I think depends who is on the market. As we have done the last couple of off seasons we can pick up a few good late deals.

If we get a centre in that then play Tago backrow. If not Centre there is a few kids that could take the next step too.