What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

martielang

Bench
Salmon isn't a superstar but seemed capable of being a decent squaddie (and potentially more) at Parra. Hasn't really been given an opportunity for us yet, hope he gets a crack think he could provide value.

Girds89

Bench
Salmon isn't a superstar but seemed capable of being a decent squaddie (and potentially more) at Parra. Hasn't really been given an opportunity for us yet, hope he gets a crack think he could provide value.

Salmon is in the tmay category. Bit of jack of all trades and not really fantastic at anything.

Hes also as slow as tmay so doesnt help him.

Theres others id rather see get gametime before him.

Original Name

Juniors
Salmon is in the tmay category. Bit of jack of all trades and not really fantastic at anything.

Hes also as slow as tmay so doesnt help him.

Theres others id rather see get gametime before him.
Being slow isn't a deal breaker at half. He's got some deceptive strength to him. The difference is Tyrone May doesn't leverage his strength. He should be trying to play like Wighton get one on one with a small half/FB and barge over the line but he runs at guys he's bigger than like my grandmother walks. Sometimes May runs and tackles like he's a small skilful half and that's why people are frustrated with him. He tackles everyone around the legs allowing offloads when he's big enough he doesn't have to do that (e.g the Walsh try against the Warriors). Cleary plays above his weight and will take on props sometimes, May plays below his weight.

Anyway when you're so slow in defence and can't slide to tackle defenders that's when you need to retire or move to the middle. Anything more than that is fine and the team can execute the game plan regardless.

Kilkenny

Coach
Being slow isn't a deal breaker at half. He's got some deceptive strength to him. The difference is Tyrone May doesn't leverage his strength. He should be trying to play like Wighton get one on one with a small half/FB and barge over the line but he runs at guys he's bigger than like my grandmother walks. Sometimes May runs and tackles like he's a small skilful half and that's why people are frustrated with him. He tackles everyone around the legs allowing offloads when he's big enough he doesn't have to do that (e.g the Walsh try against the Warriors). Cleary plays above his weight and will take on props sometimes, May plays below his weight.

Anyway when you're so slow in defence and can't slide to tackle defenders that's when you need to retire or move to the middle. Anything more than that is fine and the team can execute the game plan regardless.
I think Tyrone May is a lot better player than you suggest. He is very solid defensively both in terms of the number of tackles he makes and his tackle efficiency. Since the injury to Nathan the half back role was thrust upon him and for the most part I think he has just done the job asked of him by the coach. Not sure what we expect of him sometimes, other than I think some expect to much.

Original Name

Juniors
I think Tyrone May is a lot better player than you suggest. He is very solid defensively both in terms of the number of tackles he makes and his tackle efficiency. Since the injury to Nathan the half back role was thrust upon him and for the most part I think he has just done the job asked of him by the coach. Not sure what we expect of him sometimes, other than I think some expect to much.
Tackling is more than your tackle percentage. Really watch Cleary tackle low when he plays. He'll hit low, drive and turn players onto their back in one mention to not concede a quick play the ball. The effect on the next play is completely different to an average half just making a normal low tackle legs tackle on a bigger player like they usually do. Dedication to every small aspect of Rugby League for the sake of the team that most fans miss is what Cleary such a great player.

Fangs

Coach
May improved at half I think. Though not a patch on Burton who can surely do the job May has been doing.

Kilkenny

Coach
Tackling is more than your tackle percentage. Really watch Cleary tackle low when he plays. He'll hit low, drive and turn players onto their back in one mention to not concede a quick play the ball. The effect on the next play is completely different to an average half just making a normal low tackle legs tackle on a bigger player like they usually do. Dedication to every small aspect of Rugby League for the sake of the team that most fans miss is what Cleary such a great player.
I don’t need to ‘really’ watch Cleary to know what a great player he is defensively or otherwise. Tyrone May isn’t Nathan Cleary, he is not a half back, he is a utility player, who has done his best this past few weeks.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Which is fine to win a one off game mid season but we needed to build real options to beat Melbourne in a GF. That's our only goal for 2021.
Imagine May trying to play 7 against the Storm....

Original Name

Juniors
I don’t need to ‘really’ watch Cleary to know what a great player he is defensively or otherwise. Tyrone May isn’t Nathan Cleary, he is not a half back, he is a utility player, who has done his best this past few weeks.
Look when Laui tackles say a big guy NAS around the legs and concedes a relatively quick play the ball you can't blame him. It's the only way he can tackle someone that much bigger than him. May tackles people who run straight at him the way small halves do even the guys that he's bigger than/around the same size as. He's got the mentality of a small half in a big man's body.

Original Name

Juniors
Which is fine to win a one off game mid season but we needed to build real options to beat Melbourne in a GF. That's our only goal for 2021.
For an example of what I mean. The try at 4:21. May goes low but doesn't drive forward. Just sits there waiting for contact making it easy to make contact and offload.

That's the difference between good edge tacklers and May. Would have been a really quick play the ball right on the try line and we would have been in a lot of trouble if he didn't offload anyway.

Kilkenny

Coach

You keep making these statements about our only goal in 2021 is to beat the Storm a GF.

You make unrealistic assumptions all the time.

You have said ad nauseam all season it was a two horse race, without ever for one minute being realistic enough to consider the variables such as injuries, form, the impact of origin etc.

I would think, our primary goal was to finish in the top four. Give ourselves the best opportunity of getting into the Grand Final and if we were fortunate to accomplish that, then play at our very best on the day whomever we happen to come up against.

You seem to think you are so much wiser than our head coach and I don’t get that side of things. He selects our side based on what he thinks is the best side any given week and how can any of us on here really question that. What would we know.

BxTom

Bench
When all other realistic option are not available - May is a stopgap and he did ok considering he is a utility player.

Kilkenny

Coach
For an example of what I mean. The try at 4:21. May goes low but doesn't drive forward. Just sits there waiting for contact making it easy to make contact and offload.

That's the difference between good edge tacklers and May. Would have been a really quick play the ball right on the try line and we would have been in a lot of trouble if he didn't offload anyway.
Seriously, if you want to go out of your way to highlight a deficiency you could find evidence of deficiencies in more players than Tyrone May.

The whole scenario around our season just highlights in my opinion the importance to our side of Nathan Cleary. That shouldn’t surprise anyone other than Franklin.

Smug Panther

First Grade
You keep making these statements about our only goal in 2021 is to beat the Storm a GF.

You have said ad nauseam all season it was a two horse race, without ever for one minute being realistic enough to consider the variables such as injuries, form, the impact of origin etc.

I would think, our primary goal was to finish in the top four. Give ourselves the best opportunity of getting into the Grand Final and if we were fortunate to accomplish that, then play at our very best on the day whomever we happen to come up against.

You seem to think you are so much wiser than our head coach and I don’t get that side of things. He selects our side based on what he thinks is the best side any given week and how can any of us on here really question that. What would we know.
It's a clear 2 horse race

36 wins, 4 losses and a draw over the past two years (with a squad most pundits predicted wouldn’t make the 8 at the start of last year). I think Cleary has earnt our trust.

Latest posts