What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Staines is on about $250k a year.

Penrith granted Staines, who scored four tries on his debut earlier in the year, permission to see what he could attract at rival clubs but he has now committed his future to the team on a deal believed to be worth about $250,000 a season.

Which isn't dreadful.

If he can put on some lean muscle he'll be OK

Bob

Juniors
If Kikau stays I hope someone works with him to get rid of his brain farts, he can win us a game but FMD he can just as easily loose one for us

soc123_au

Staff member
Staines is on about $250k a year.

Penrith granted Staines, who scored four tries on his debut earlier in the year, permission to see what he could attract at rival clubs but he has now committed his future to the team on a deal believed to be worth about $250,000 a season.
That sounds more realistic. I don't remember where the 500k came from.

The Realist

Juniors
Staines is taller and heavier than Papenhuyzen. Why doesn’t this get mentioned? Pap would have similar defensive, and metre gain issues to Charlie if he was plonked out on the wing.

But Bellamy is much smarter than that, our coach….isn’t.

I am honestly not a huge fan of the outside back hit up strategy of Ivan. He overcooks it in my opinion. There are multiple sets that we have where our outside backs take the 1st 4 hit ups. They often end up being sub 30m sets. I don’t see any other club go to this extreme as much as we do. I don’t mind the 1st two, sometimes 3.

What is worst is that they are often predictable. You can tell before the ball is played who will get it. I am sure that the opposition often does as well and the poor player gets smashed.

I absolutely love Brian To’o but if we line him up to get smashed 20 times a game as a human pinball, we have to be prepared for him to have a dramatically shortened career. He is still very young with fast recovery and hasn’t accrued huge NRL mileage yet.

But as he gets older the mileage will take it’s toll on him, he will accrue more niggles and he will take longer to recover. ATM he reminds me of Aquila Uate who was an absolute killer for about 4 years but then became fairly ordinary as his physicality dropped off.

I really like To’o and don’t want to see this happen to him.

maple_69

Bench
If you want to reduce the role of our outside backs in doing tough stuff then you also have to be prepared for our line speed to drop off, our hard running to drop off and our pack to be gassed like the rest of them after 60 minutes.

I don’t disagree that particularly To’o could be adversely limited longer term and I think he’s a much more skilled winger than the way we deploy him.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I've said this before, but one of the main criticisms leveled at Edwards (fairly) is that he is not a great ball player when chiming in on attack. That's why I don't get so many people arguing for Crichton at the back; he does not look any better in that department - if anything, he may be even worse.

martielang

Bench
Is Dyl happy to be a back up? The writting is clearly on the wall that he's not the man moving forward. His consistent injuries alone rule him out for me. Can't have a spine player in and out of the side all year

Is the writing on the wall though? Staines has fallen off a cliff and Crichton looks decent at the back in attack with some space but he's quite slow bringing the ball back and looks lost defensively (which is understandable).

Charlie might be feeling the effects of the grind of a full NRL season, however ,he is no smaller the Campbell (Titans) or Laurie or Paps. But I agree Crichton looks the goods at FB.

Charlie might be feeling the effects of the grind of a full NRL season, however ,he is no smaller the Campbell (Titans) or Laurie or Paps. But I agree Crichton looks the goods at FB.
To me, he is definitely feeling the effects of a full season. Burton too. Laurie did also. Paps has been in first grade a few years and had an injury enforced rest for about half the season and Campbell played all of a couple of games.

Limited second tier football for two years has exacerbated the impact on young guys coming into grade.