What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Isaac A

Juniors
I don’t think we need to Panic.

We’ve got Api for this season.

Its not like his departure has come as a surprise, it’s been pretty obvious that he was going to chase some coin.

Trust the System team.

SideNote: What’s Soni Luke up to?? I always liked that dude as he was coming through.
Yessssss! I was saying same about Soni today

Iamback

Coach
There’s always options, but none of them a good. At best there’s some okay prospects. That might be okay if we weren’t in the middle of a premiership window, but 2023 is going to be tough without an elite hooker.

Will Api be an elite hooker then though? Hell he may even be a part time player by then. I am reserving judgement until I see who we end up with

TOA

Juniors
More like the other way around.
Nope, have you been watching whats happening in professional football and basketball overseas? NRL players are gonna be dropping with heart issues.

Pantherjim.

Referee
So what, he has had allergies before, all this vaxx talk is inconsequential towards contracts 2 years ahead really, its all about can i get a premiership with these guys? Or do they need me and can can a get 3-4 seasons at a higher price elsewhere...
This vaxx thing isn't an issue, there are clubs that take whoever from whereever to get ahead

So when their Star Hooker won’t get vaccinated against Covid-19, who do the Tigers play at Hooker when they play the Broncos, North Queensland, Melbourne Storm or the NZ Warriors away?

The NRL might not mandate their players to get the jab - (The AFL do, which is sensible) - but you can bet your arse that certain State Premiers and one NZ Prime Minister will mandate that they get vaccinated.

Unless he gets the Vax, Api will be going no where beyond NSW borders in season 2022 and 2023.

And as for Origin…. Pfffft! He can kiss goodbye to that too.

Pantherjim.

Referee
We don’t need to see anymore of Mitch Kenny to know what he’s capable of, he’s not a first grade quality hooker full stop.

So you’d prefer that we gave a 30 year old Hooker - (who refuses to get vaccinated against Covid & will be missing in interstate/international away games as a consequence) - his asking price of 700-750k a season for three years?

Iamback

Coach
Simpkins at WT is only 20
Verrills 22

both will overtake Api in their next deals and all will be overtaken by Ryley Smith.

Certainly none will cost $700k on the way down in their career. Value for money wasn't there especially with the anti vax.

A whole vaxxed NBL side had to self isolate due to positive cases. 2 weeks from the season kick off.

Imagine Api having to miss a Prelim due to not vaxxed or even worse he catches it and several players also miss out.

Just to risky at that price

I have been off Api since the Origin debacle and the whole vax thing hasn’t improved my view of him as a team player.

Happy to see him walk and we have 2 years to find a solution to play alongside our state of origin halves combination and best middle pack in the game. We have lost some strike on the edge (not all next year) but presumably we have got quite a bit of cash to make some signings with. Even with some of the younger guys just stepping up though we will be fine and a contender over the coming years.

I also have liked the improvement I have seen from Kenny over the second half of the year; I think he could be a realistic option for 2023 (and a good fill-in for the interstate games in 2022).

On a separate note; anyone else getting really worried about the Dolphins? It could be car crash bad. And even though it would be funny to see a 70-odd year old Bennett coaching a team that resembles the one he usually leaves for his successor, the old man will be off if he is getting tonked every week.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I have been off Api since the Origin debacle and the whole vax thing hasn’t improved my view of him as a team player.

Happy to see him walk and we have 2 years to find a solution to play alongside our state of origin halves combination and best middle pack in the game. We have lost some strike on the edge (not all next year) but presumably we have got quite a bit of cash to make some signings with. Even with some of the younger guys just stepping up though we will be fine and a contender over the coming years.

I also have liked the improvement I have seen from Kenny over the second half of the year; I think he could be a realistic option for 2023 (and a good fill-in for the interstate games in 2022).

On a separate note; anyone else getting really worried about the Dolphins? It could be car crash bad. And even though it would be funny to see a 70-odd year old Bennett coaching a team that resembles the one he usually leaves for his successor, the old man will be off if he is getting tonked every week.

I've been 'off' Api ever since origin and especially since his vaccination stance.

Kenny although not flash is wholehearted, and has potential to improve.

Api's stance of vaccination (along with his wife) in my opinion is a car crash waiting to happen.

Iamback

Coach
Dolphins were always going to struggle. People say Brisbane needs more NRL. Fans have teams they support.
GC are a disgrace and would be 16 in a criteria type thing.
So this will be a car crash

Kilkenny

Coach
Had a night out, just got home, saw the news.

I have no issues with the decision.

Im glad the saga is over. We can move on.

The Wests Tigers good luck to them, I’m not sure it is good business on there part given his age. It is what it is. Personally I’d let him leave this season if the Tigers are up for it.

Kilkenny

Coach
We’ll be fine.

Not ideal to lose so many players from a side who just win the GF but at the end of the day I feel there are juniors ready made to step up.

Todays announcement was inevitable, it was obvious Api was moving on and frankly rightly so no value in resigning him on huge money at his age.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
She’s more into it than he is. Wouldn’t be surprised if he gets his stance from her. I’m talking crystals too

Look I'm sure you're quite right.

I think though that Api is happy enough to go along with it. He's gotten a huge deal almost 2 mill for 2 years without vaccination, W/T seems happy enough to pay. Could be another Packer style signing from W/T

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Na. I wasn't worried at all. We had the depth to cover them.

We don't have the (readily apparent) depth now to replace what we have just lost.

I think there is more behind this.

Kenny is OK as a cover if we can get a youngin up to speed for 23 off the bench. Riley Smith may be ready by then too.

Someone2

Juniors
The teams being picked apart

dolphins are targeting To’o as a cult hero and someone to attract fans .To’o is a rep player now and worth double what he re-signed for in 2020. I’m sure clubs are in he‘s managers ear and he’ll want a upgrade ( which the cash strapped panthers can’t afford ) or a release

he re-signed for about 250k in 2020 clubs like eels and dolphins should be offering him 550k now that he a rep player