What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Kilkenny

Coach
I think there is more behind this.

Kenny is OK as a cover if we can get a youngin up to speed for 23 off the bench. Riley Smith may be ready by then too.
It’s business Alice. Don’t read too much into it.

if we had salary cap issues, we no longer do.

We should be free of salary cap issues now and have cap space to either recruit players or upgrade the next generation of which there are many by all accounts..

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
It’s interesting to me that the ones that have left are not the juniors. With the exception of Burton (who couldn’t get a game at his preferred position) all of those that have left over recent years (or will be leaving over the coming years) have been those have played their junior footy elsewhere.

The essentials like Luai, Cleary, Yeo, have all been signed up.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
It’s business Alice. Don’t read too much into it.

if we had salary cap issues, we no longer do.

We should be free of salary cap issues now and have cap space to either recruit players or upgrade the next generation of which there are many by all accounts..

What I was referring to was 'nookie gate' and Anti Vax gate. The club (Licensed) have decided to only allow vaxxed patrons till end of Jan 22. That's what I was meaning. Suits were not happy.

Pantherjim.

Referee
There’s always options, but none of them a good. At best there’s some okay prospects. That might be okay if we weren’t in the middle of a premiership window, but 2023 is going to be tough without an elite hooker.

Will Koroisau still be an “elite” hooker in 2023?

It’s a whole year and another season away.

And by the way, he’ll be 30-31 years of age…

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
The teams being picked apart

dolphins are targeting To’o as a cult hero and someone to attract fans .To’o is a rep player now and worth double what he re-signed for in 2020. I’m sure clubs are in he‘s managers ear and he’ll want a upgrade ( which the cash strapped panthers can’t afford ) or a release

he re-signed for about 250k in 2020 clubs like eels and dolphins should be offering him 550k now that he a rep player

On darling it's way past your bedtime. Now toddle off.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
It’s been tough. It’s not easy seeing out GF side being picked apart.

I remain confident there is a method to the perception of madness.

I truly believe our next generation is only a season or two away, if not sooner

2022 is probably going to be a difficult season but the future looks bright given we have a surplus of quality kids in our junior ranks.

hindy111

Post Whore
Tigers signing an old man.

The best hookers are at the best clubs or perhaps the best clubs forwards are giving hookers more room to look like the best hookers.......

DinkyDi

Juniors
Nope, have you been watching whats happening in professional football and basketball overseas? NRL players are gonna be dropping with heart issues.
Which is rare, and one can have adverse reactions to products we use daily. I do not expect anti-vaxxers to accept that, as the facts upset their narrative. Also, that link is from a anti-vaxxer, with little qualifications, no doubt. Not credible sources.

Read this, and that is all I am going to say about the matter.

Last edited:

GongPanther

Referee
What some people are forgetting are these:

1. the spine, minus Api, will be together.
2. only six players, will be missing in 2023.
3. Api will be 30 at the conclusion of his contract
4. Our club is a development club.
5. Api, and Kiks, started of as rookies, and both turned out great.
6. Matt Cameron, Ivan Cleary, and co. knows what they are doing.
And hopefully Riley Smith stays with us and signs an extension, or next season we will have our eyes on another hooker from outside our club. IMO, when Kenny is playing, it seems he hasn't made a grip on the art of a dummy half, as he has a few lapses of concentration in him. Maybe a good solid off season might improve him.

DinkyDi

Juniors
And hopefully Riley Smith stays with us and signs an extension, or next season we will have our eyes on another hooker from outside our club. IMO, when Kenny is playing, it seems he hasn't made a grip on the art of a dummy half, as he has a few lapses of concentration in him. Maybe a good solid off season might improve him.
Api did give Smith a huge rap. I remember reading somewhere that Riley is a great cricketer, and some are expecting him to pick cricket over league?

GongPanther

Referee
Api did give Smith a huge rap. I remember reading somewhere that Riley is a great cricketer, and some are expecting him to pick cricket over league?
Hope not. But Smith has to seriously weigh up his prospects. He can potentially have a role with the Panthers for 8-10 years and in the process, make a few million. As far as cricket is concerned, if he does turn out to be a good player in a very, very competitive sport, the sky is the limit. A very hard choice for Smith to make although if he does go to play cricket and it doesn't exactly pan out, he can always come back to the Panthers.

maple_69

Bench
Api is the only re-signing I wanted. With him, our spine and middle is locked up and whoever we put around them will have the easiest job in the game.

The sky certainly isn’t falling though. Kenny took a big step this year and could take another over the next few with more time working with Api. He’s only been a dummy half for a few years and seems to be a quick study. Verrills and Simpkins obviously other solid options. I don’t think we need a star but we do need someone with very tight defence and sharp service.

The yak

Juniors
Frankly I’m not concerned at all.

I would even let Api leave early this season If it works in our favour.

If memory serves me right you were one of the few who wasn't too fussed about signing Api in the first place. You wanted to persevere with Egan.
Api is going for 2023, we won't find an adequate replacement for 2022.
No need weaken us and strengthen a rival by getting rid of him early.

Fangs

Coach
A bit of a surprise but a year is a long time in RL. We now have a war chest.

Money talks, Kikau and Korisau are proof of that. Will be interesting to see who we end up poaching.