What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Yeah Api made all the difference to us once he joined back up with us. The past two years have easily been our best and we can thank Api for alot of that success! Wallace our last decent hooker and before that probably Kevin Kingston? Than Priddis? Segyaro could have been top tier but his off field stuff was messy.

To be honest and you'd never ever do it but IMO Nathan Cleary would be an amazing 9. Kid can tackle and pass plus kick, reminds me of Cameron Smith when he would slot into the halves! I think Cleary could slot in there and be super calm and really get the team going up field.

I think we should be investing cash into an older head hooker someone like the dragons 9 or Raiders 9.. I'd be trying to snag Ben Hunt and play him 9 if at cheap price. Can't win games with young kids in a key position with no big game experience.

Agree with your first and parts of your third paragraphs, strongly disagree with your second.

It’s interesting all the decent hookers you’ve mentioned (Segeyaro, Kingston, Priddis) have been signed from other teams. You could argue Wallace fits in this category as he was signed from Brisbane, despite being a Penrith junior. The question remains, for an organisation that is great at developing juniors, why can’t we develop elite hookers?

Ben Hunt is signed through 2022 and 2023 on a rumoured 1.1 million per season. Why would he sign with us for less?

I don’t hate the idea of Hodgson, with some conditions. He is 32 years old with 1 year left on a 700k deal so if we were to take him for 2022 we’d want Canberra to bring paying a significant amount of his contract given Api is on 250k less. If it is for 2023 he’d be 33 years old so I’d draw the line at anything over 500k and more than a one year deal.

hindy111

Post Whore
Rubbish. Parramatta low balled him and paid the price (no pun intended).

Do you think that's how negotiations work?

Parra where sitting at table runbing hands together saying I think we got him for unders?
No . They would make an offer and so would the Dogs. The manager would of let Eels know Dogs offer. Eels most likely revised or matched it. The manager then would of went back to dogs and let them know.
At this point the Dogs would of went ok how about this. Parra may of increased a little or atleast where told how close they need to be at which point they would of said NO THANKS. Let him go.

Do you really buy into the media bullshit? Plenty of these players would of been offered deals mid season. Manager also would of let them know with a new side coming you value will be far better come Nov 1.

hindy111

Post Whore
I agree with this. I think Smith, Rheed and Cook (towards the end of the year) we’re better than him. I think some like Verrells and Brailey will overtake him next year (if they both get time at their clubs).

Hi definitely isn’t Api level, but I liked the improvement we saw in Kenny this year. Not as crafty as Api, but there was more running in his game after he had a few solid weeks in a row in the starting side.

I don't think there is any great hookers at the moment.

A few years back Smith,Hodgson and Cook where elite. Cook while still good is on the way down. I wouldn't talk about Rheed or Api on those guys level. There just in strong sides and there isn't to many good hookers currently.

Talking about improvement - Wade Egan imo looked like he could be the one who comes good.

I don't think there is any great hookers at the moment.

A few years back Smith,Hodgson and Cook where elite. Cook while still good is on the way down. I wouldn't talk about Rheed or Api on those guys level. There just in strong sides and there isn't to many good hookers currently.

Talking about improvement - Wade Egan imo looked like he could be the one who comes good.
Whether you consider any of the current crop great is largely irrelevant as it only matters how good the rest of the current competition is. Perhaps the rule changes that have lead to a faster game make players prior to this change look better?

Anyway I’d rate the current crop as follows:

Top tier: Grant, B Smith, Koroisau, Cook, Hunt

Next tier: Mahoney, J Brailey, Hodgson*

Next tier: Starling, Verrills, B Brailey, Robson

Anyone not listed isn’t worth pursuing IMO

*largely going off past form here and the effect of a change of scenery could have

hindy111

Post Whore
Whether you consider any of the current crop great is largely irrelevant as it only matters how good the rest of the current competition is. Perhaps the rule changes that have lead to a faster game make players prior to this change look better?

*largely going off past form here and the effect of a change of scenery could have

I rate Egan. Crafty kid.

Girds89

Bench
Kodi nikorima as i said a page or 2 back is one we should see if we can pick up on a one year deal.

Has plenty of experience including 15 tests for nz. Will be 28 in 23 so not past it.

Offer him a one year deal with option of 2 in clubs favour.

I think hed be great a 9. Strong runner and good kicking amd passing game. Has played there alot before. Hed probs have to add a few kgs to defend in the pack full time.

Hed be an ideal pick up at the right price just for a season or two so riley smith isnt rushed.

If we cant get him try chanel tevita harris. Similar abilities.. hasnt really played hooker like nikorima though he is very skillex

- Koroisau will be a huge loss, anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves
- Hooker is arguably the most important position besides half back in the modern game. We can’t just replace a top 5 player in that position with an unproven 18 year old prospect
- Someone made a good point earlier about our history of overhyping junior hookers, Romelo, Iosefa etc. With this in mind I’m hesitant to buy into the Ryley Smith hype
- Mitch Kenny seems like a nice guy and a serviceable player but you don’t win comps with guys of his calibre at #9. Our premiership hookers have been elite: Simmons, Priddis, Koroisau
- We have Koroisau for next season, we’d be mad to release him early given his current contract is one of the best in the league
- Brandon Smith for 2022 would be a mistake. The Storm would want a decent player going back their way, better to just hold onto Koroisau
- A lot of talk about us getting Verrills or Simpkin but keep in mind the Dolphins, Eels, Broncos, Titans, Warriors, Sea Eagles etc would all also be in the race. Both players are also a class or two (or three in Simpkin’s case) below Koroisau

TLDR: Koroisau is a huge loss who is not easily replaced either internally or via recruitment. He’s contracted for 2022 so let’s get the most out of him while he’s still here.

Well summed up.

People have talked themselves into this being no big deal, but It’s really a massive problem. We might get lucky, but right now the planning for a continuation of our premiership hopes after 2022 looks poor. We should’ve concentrated on sorting out the hooker position before second row. Reckon we would’ve snared Mahoney easily.

Yeah Api made all the difference to us once he joined back up with us. The past two years have easily been our best and we can thank Api for alot of that success! Wallace our last decent hooker and before that probably Kevin Kingston? Than Priddis? Segyaro could have been top tier but his off field stuff was messy.

To be honest and you'd never ever do it but IMO Nathan Cleary would be an amazing 9. Kid can tackle and pass plus kick, reminds me of Cameron Smith when he would slot into the halves! I think Cleary could slot in there and be super calm and really get the team going up field.

I think we should be investing cash into an older head hooker someone like the dragons 9 or Raiders 9.. I'd be trying to snag Ben Hunt and play him 9 if at cheap price. Can't win games with young kids in a key position with no big game experience.

Ben Hunt would be great, but he’d be looking at a 50% pay cut to play here. Or alternatively the Dragons paying a huge amount of his salary. Can’t see it happening.

Crashtest

Juniors
We should’ve concentrated on sorting out the hooker position before second row. Reckon we would’ve snared Mahoney easily.
How though? The Dogs are desperate and offering crazy money to buy players. They outbid the Eels to sign him, and if we had matched their $650k a season, they would of just offered more.

Gould doesn’t worry about the salary cap, because he thinks he can just shaft contracted players later and move them on.

DinkyDi

Juniors
Well summed up.

People have talked themselves into this being no big deal, but It’s really a massive problem. We might get lucky, but right now the planning for a continuation of our premiership hopes after 2022 looks poor. We should’ve concentrated on sorting out the hooker position before second row. Reckon we would’ve snared Mahoney easily.
What bemuses me is this, people getting their knickers in a knot. None of us has foresight, so we may have adequate coverage, and we may not.

Iamback

Coach

While I am not disagreeing that is currently the list

Take your top tier

Api 29
Cook 30
Hunt 31

The next tier down

Brailey and Mahoney have injury issues. Hodgson is 32

So over the next few seasons there will be a changing of the guard. Hard to say we backed the wrong horse yet

Iamback

Coach
How though? The Dogs are desperate and offering crazy money to buy players. They outbid the Eels to sign him, and if we had matched their $650k a season, they would of just offered more.

Gould doesn’t worry about the salary cap, because he thinks he can just shaft contracted players later and move them on.

Exactly. Desperate teams pay desperate money

Latest posts