What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

How though? The Dogs are desperate and offering crazy money to buy players. They outbid the Eels to sign him, and if we had matched their $650k a season, they would of just offered more.

Gould doesn’t worry about the salary cap, because he thinks he can just shaft contracted players later and move them on.

You make a fair point that the Dogs might’ve offered crazy money, but I think the attraction of playing at a club with the NSW state of origin halves offers a fair amount of sway. But my main gripe is we didn’t properly prioritise the hooker position, we tried to re-sign Kikau first. Now we lost Capewell, Kikau and Api.

Iamback

Coach
You make a fair point that the Dogs might’ve offered crazy money, but I think the attraction of playing at a club with the NSW state of origin halves offers a fair amount of sway. But my main gripe is we didn’t properly prioritise the hooker position, we tried to re-sign Kikau first. Now we lost Capewell, Kikau and Api.

If we run into next season with Kenny as number 1 hooker. I will agree but I am holding fire until that is finalised

What bemuses me is this, people getting their knickers in a knot. None of us has foresight, so we may have adequate coverage, and we may not.

We more than likely will take a significant step back at hooker in 2023, thats why people are upset. Of course we could get lucky, but right now the odds aren’t in our favour.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
I don't think there is any great hookers at the moment.

A few years back Smith,Hodgson and Cook where elite. Cook while still good is on the way down. I wouldn't talk about Rheed or Api on those guys level. There just in strong sides and there isn't to many good hookers currently.

Talking about improvement - Wade Egan imo looked like he could be the one who comes good.
I agree with you on Egan. I believe he will have a stellar year. With the others mentioned being at the end of their careers, Egan really is just getting started.

John Hamblin

Juniors
I am happy with our retention strategy. We don't know all the facts ie the real reason we are letting Api go and the options we have to replace him. Be it Connor Mason, Ryley Smith etc. Good clubs don't pay overs and we need to retain our best juniors. If there is no pathway other clubs will cherry pick the best of them.

We need to believe in our Administration. A premiership and a grand final appearance in the last two years for me says it all. Within the next 6/12 months I'm sure we will all be excited about the next wave of outstanding juniors.

Just believe!!

None of us has that foresighted ability. Remember Api was a rookie too. Give the club a chance.

Every so often I have to make this point, but the whole idea of these discussion boards is to air our views as things currently stand. If we just all said nothing and “gave the club a chance”, there’d be very little discussion on here.

Of course it’s possible the club pulls a rabbit out of the hat, but it’s a fair point to make that right now our 2023 prospects don’t look great. I don’t see a hooker out there that can bring what we need.

Again, this is a discussion board to talk about these topics, theres no point everyone just waiting to see what happens.

I am happy with our retention strategy. We don't know all the facts ie the real reason we are letting Api go and the options we have to replace him. Be it Connor Mason, Ryley Smith etc. Good clubs don't pay overs and we need to retain our best juniors. If there is no pathway other clubs will cherry pick the best of them.

We need to believe in our Administration. A premiership and a grand final appearance in the last two years for me says it all. Within the next 6/12 months I'm sure we will all be excited about the next wave of outstanding juniors.

Just believe!!

I don’t understand this fascination with retaining juniors, it’s almost as if some people see it as more important than winning titles. We’re in a premiership window, who cares if we lose some talented juniors?! We need to maximise the odds of winning now.

Iamback

Coach
Next season? I’m talking about 2023. But if we let Api walk early, which hooker would even come close to matching his ability? I don’t see why we need to hold fire, we know the options, and none a great.

Sorry I meant if Kenny is the starting hooker in 2023 then we messed it up. If we land someone on the way up that comes with less baggage. Then it isn't a bad move

DinkyDi

Juniors
Every so often I have to make this point, but the whole idea of these discussion boards is to air our views as things currently stand. If we just all said nothing and “gave the club a chance”, there’d be very little discussion on here.

Of course it’s possible the club pulls a rabbit out of the hat, but it’s a fair point to make that right now our 2023 prospects don’t look great. I don’t see a hooker out there that can bring what we need.

Again, this is a discussion board to talk about these topics, theres no point everyone just waiting to see what happens.
Likewise, there is no point in been a negative Nancy either.

murraymob

First Grade
Likewise, there is no point in been a negative Nancy either.
How many teams have won a comp with a it will be alright attitude none..simple the ball has been dropped .we had 3 to sign and look like getting none.Hooker is a position where there is very few elite players.2021 had 4 at most through all the clubs .2022 may have less .you can not afford to lose what you have
I expect Edwards to get a big offer from the dolphins as they are desperate for name signings

John Hamblin

Juniors
I don’t understand this fascination with retaining juniors, it’s almost as if some people see it as more important than winning titles. We’re in a premiership window, who cares if we lose some talented juniors?! We need to maximise the odds of winning now.

We all care about our juniors. Sure we need to maximise our chances of another premiership but as history will tell you paying overs can result in years of mediocrity. Look at the Dogs and Tiggers in recent years. Also you generally keep your local juniors for at least a year or two at a cheaper price than bringing in players from elsewhere.

Again we don't know all the facts and I am very happy with our current Administration.

DinkyDi

Juniors
How many teams have won a comp with a it will be alright attitude none..simple the ball has been dropped .we had 3 to sign and look like getting none.Hooker is a position where there is very few elite players.2021 had 4 at most through all the clubs .2022 may have less .you can not afford to lose what you have
I expect Edwards to get a big offer from the dolphins as they are desperate for name signings
Hey, you are assuming things that I did not say, or imply. Api was a rookie at one stage, and he is now great. Spencer, Brian, and Stephen, did extremely well in their second year. Our systems, for our junior development, are better now. I do too, with regards to Edwards.

Whino

Bench

Unless his manager wanted to take him to market (with a new team coming in) the club should have tried to extend him 4-6 months ago. About the same time as Fish.
Assuming they wanted to keep him.

Whino

Bench
Kodi nikorima as i said a page or 2 back is one we should see if we can pick up on a one year deal.

Has plenty of experience including 15 tests for nz. Will be 28 in 23 so not past it.

Offer him a one year deal with option of 2 in clubs favour.

I think hed be great a 9. Strong runner and good kicking amd passing game. Has played there alot before. Hed probs have to add a few kgs to defend in the pack full time.

Hed be an ideal pick up at the right price just for a season or two so riley smith isnt rushed.

If we cant get him try chanel tevita harris. Similar abilities.. hasnt really played hooker like nikorima though he is very skillex

Nikorima is interesting for the right price.

Iamback

Coach
Unless his manager wanted to take him to market (with a new team coming in) the club should have tried to extend him 4-6 months ago. About the same time as Fish.
Assuming they wanted to keep him.

There was an Api story every week. No doubt the manager was holding off until Nov 1.
Given his Origin antics and now anti vax... probably a good thing he wasn't

hindy111

Post Whore

I disagree. I feel like with smart management you can remain in a premiership window forever. This whole window of 3 yrs is myth.
Smart clubs can have a side who is always some chance of winning it. This year you would of been about a 3 or 4 to 1 chance. Some years may be a 10-1. The rest is luck in the finals and injuries etc.
Weak clubs just have basicaly never a chance. While Nathan is there and fit I think Penrith will be a chance for the next 10 seasons. Some a better chance then others but always a chance.
Think Storm,Souths,Roosters. Rare they have not been some shot at taking the title over the last 10yrs.

Latest posts