What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Original Name

Juniors
I don't think there is any great hookers at the moment.

A few years back Smith,Hodgson and Cook where elite. Cook while still good is on the way down. I wouldn't talk about Rheed or Api on those guys level. There just in strong sides and there isn't to many good hookers currently.

Talking about improvement - Wade Egan imo looked like he could be the one who comes good.
The rule changes have lead to hookers making more tackles and fatigue kills creativity.

betcats

Referee
I disagree. I feel like with smart management you can remain in a premiership window forever. This whole window of 3 yrs is myth.
Smart clubs can have a side who is always some chance of winning it. This year you would of been about a 3 or 4 to 1 chance. Some years may be a 10-1. The rest is luck in the finals and injuries etc.
Weak clubs just have basicaly never a chance. While Nathan is there and fit I think Penrith will be a chance for the next 10 seasons. Some a better chance then others but always a chance.
Think Storm,Souths,Roosters. Rare they have not been some shot at taking the title over the last 10yrs.

Agree. Making short term decisions because we think we have only 2-3 years to win seems like a good way to end up in the bottom four 6 years from now.

We could’ve offered Api more after missing kikau, I’m glad we didn’t tbh, we can be a top four team for a lot longer than 2-3 years if we are smart and disciplined with our cap, paying more than we think a player is worth cause we think we only have a couple years to be a threat is just not smart. And I’ll say this again, there’s every chance Api in 2024 is nowhere near what he was in 2021.

hindy111

Post Whore
Agree. Making short term decisions because we think we have only 2-3 years to win seems like a good way to end up in the bottom four 6 years from now.

We could’ve offered Api more after missing kikau, I’m glad we didn’t tbh, we can be a top four team for a lot longer than 2-3 years if we are smart and disciplined with our cap, paying more than we think a player is worth cause we think we only have a couple years to be a threat is just not smart. And I’ll say this again, there’s every chance Api in 2024 is nowhere near what he was in 2021.

He was awesome in 2020. He didn't get going this year. Very stop start season. Still had some very good games but not as consistent.
Hodgson was the best hooker in game 2-3yrs ago. Api could follow a similar path.

Smart and strong clubs don't need to take risks and pays overs for guys. Weak clubs have no choice.

Is Mahoney a risk? At 650k and only 1 excellent season plus a shoulder reco and a small body you'd say yes.
Is Api a risk? He has had far more seasons playing at a high level but his age could be an issue.

Kikau is a risk due to his tendency to slack off

BxTom

Bench

Yep, we could have perhaps offered Api 100k a year more and cost us a future junior development player - somebody like Lui, Crichton, Staines, Martin etc in their day. If the club keeps the good juniors flowing through, the premiership window will stay open for a looooonnnnggg time.

Original Name

Juniors
He was awesome in 2020. He didn't get going this year. Very stop start season. Still had some very good games but not as consistent.
Hodgson was the best hooker in game 2-3yrs ago. Api could follow a similar path.

Smart and strong clubs don't need to take risks and pays overs for guys. Weak clubs have no choice.

Is Mahoney a risk? At 650k and only 1 excellent season plus a shoulder reco and a small body you'd say yes.
Is Api a risk? He has had far more seasons playing at a high level but his age could be an issue.

Kikau is a risk due to his tendency to slack off
Api's a very unselfish player on the field the better Cleary played the less flashy stuff Api did and the more he just dished it off to Nathan.
Gower and Wallace were elite halves, O’Sullivan is a fringe first grader. You’re not really comparing apples with apples there.
Wallace was solid and reliable. Calling him elite half is a bit of an exaggeration. Was closer to being an elite hooker in 2026. An unsung hero of our side.

betcats

Referee
People seem forget just how much we have been improving players the last couple of years. We got Api cheap cause he was unwanted at manly after coming off the bench for most of that year. He wasn’t a top 3 hooker when we signed him. We can sign a decent hooker and have him look a lot better playing with our pack and halves, that’s if we can’t develop one. We don’t have to have Api or one of the other best couple of hookers in the game to be a threat to win.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
People seem forget just how much we have been improving players the last couple of years. We got Api cheap cause he was unwanted at manly after coming off the bench for most of that year. He wasn’t a top 3 hooker when we signed him. We can sign a decent hooker and have him look a lot better playing with our pack and halves, that’s if we can’t develop one. We don’t have to have Api or one of the other best couple of hookers in the game to be a threat to win.

Exactly:

The same could be said for Capewell, sometimes bench player for the sharks. and Mom.

A good big mobile pack and creative halves makes the job of a hooker look like a doddle.

Hence my thoughts about O'Sullivan (who is worth a try)

Last edited:

Girds89

Bench
O sullivan isnt going to be the answer to our hooker situation.

Just need someone who is a bit quicker than kenny with a decent kicking game and a bit of spark.

Dont need to go after a marque hooker..

We have the best halfback in the game. Luai when he was in form before injury this year was the best 5/8 in the game. When edwards was 100% fully fit this year (which was basically not much) he was very very good. The storm game earlier in the year the first 40 mins before he hurt his hand he was unstoppable. If he can remain fit he will get back to that level. Considering he had 5 or 6 man of the match performances in the back 3rd of the year on one leg i think its safe to say if he gets back to 100% we will be alright.

We just need a half decent player with a bit of toe and creativity who is happy to sign on a one or two year deal at 250 to 300k.

Hopefully smith or connor are ready to get a few chances by mid 23 and we can see if they will be ready and the real deal.

Iamback

Coach
Api's will never play Origin again. Cook is turning 31.

If Cook gets hurt and can't play Origin. Who is next up?

We are in a position to develop that next hooker

Api's a very unselfish player on the field the better Cleary played the less flashy stuff Api did and the more he just dished it off to Nathan.

Wallace was solid and reliable. Calling him elite half is a bit of an exaggeration. Was closer to being an elite hooker in 2026. An unsung hero of our side.
I mean he was good enough to play for NSW while he was at the Broncos so I’d say that’s more than just solid and reliable. Granted, partnering Lockyer in the halves at club level definitely didn’t hurt.

Iamback

Coach
As is every other club?

I take it your question was rhetorical but the answer is Cameron McInnes

The same Cam McInnes that will be 13 at the Sharks?

There is talent missing in a few positions. Centre and hooker are prime examples

our team setup can get a good hooker up to an above average one. Much better than going into a bidding war for a Part time player

Latest posts