What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

roofromoz

First Grade
I am happy with our retention strategy. We don't know all the facts ie the real reason we are letting Api go and the options we have to replace him. Be it Connor Mason, Ryley Smith etc. Good clubs don't pay overs and we need to retain our best juniors. If there is no pathway other clubs will cherry pick the best of them.

We need to believe in our Administration. A premiership and a grand final appearance in the last two years for me says it all. Within the next 6/12 months I'm sure we will all be excited about the next wave of outstanding juniors.

Just believe!!

Agree, Matt Cameron appears to be a smart operator.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
We’re in a premiership window!!!

Now is not the time for experimenting and giving people experience, it’s the time for winning a title. It would be utter madness to let Api go early.
In my honest opinion of Covid. it will be the same next season. What if we have to play interstate? Might as well cash in now get someone in return and Build for 2023. I am not a gambler, But back to back titles happened twice in 30ish years. I don't like our odds for next year.

In my honest opinion of Covid. it will be the same next season. What if we have to play interstate? Might as well cash in now get someone in return and Build for 2023. I am not a gambler, But back to back titles happened twice in 30ish years. I don't like our odds for next year.

There’s only three teams that can win next year, and we’re one of them. That’s about as good as odds as you’ll ever get. There’s no real cashing in here either, the other options available to us for 2022 are average to poor.

Back to back titles is hard, but I’d wager our chances of winning in 2022 are still higher than in 2023-2025. Plays the odds.

Hooked

Juniors
It would be nice if someone from the club came out this week and said what the hooking plan is after Api.
Either from within or going to market. It would be nice to hear the club's thoughts.

It would be nice if someone from the club came out this week and said what the hooking plan is after Api.
Either from within or going to market. It would be nice to hear the club's thoughts.

I assume the plan is Riley Smith, but even if that’s the case I think they have to go to market. He’s only 18 now, he’ll turn 20 in 2023. So you’re going to need two options.

Iamback

Coach

Ivan's interview alluded to the money being too good. Which told me they thought he was to expensive. You'd think they would know what they need is cheaper then Api

Iamback

Coach
I assume the plan is Riley Smith, but even if that’s the case I think they have to go to market. He’s only 18 now, he’ll turn 20 in 2023. So you’re going to need two options.

Still a few hookers to play out. Someone mentioned Nikorima, Verrills. One of the WT guys will get let go.

They don't need to run the attack just give good clean ball to halves and Yeo. Anything else is a bonus

Still a few hookers to play out. Someone mentioned Nikorima, Verrills. One of the WT guys will get let go.

They don't need to run the attack just give good clean ball to halves and Yeo. Anything else is a bonus

All pretty ordinary options. It’s not about running the attack, it’s about providing an attacking option so the teams attack is varied.

betcats

Referee
Yet the way things have gone our window looks more likely to be 2-3 years. 20/21/22.

Losing half our grand final team before the 22 season has even kicked off hardly seems like a good way to keep our window open beyond 2022.

Since 2020 we have lost a pretty handy starting side:

1. Aekins/ Laurie
2. Mansour
3. Whare
4. Momirovski
5. Naden
6. Burton
7. May
8. Tamou
9. Koroisau
10. Tetevano
11. Kikau
12. Capewell
13. Hetherington / Burns

Losing a LOT of experience is a poor way to keep being a top side. We aren't going to be able to bring in 2x new centres, 2x new second rowers and a new hooker and just continue like we have been playing. We saw just how thin our depth actually was through the Origin period after the players we lost in 2020.

We had enough to interchange a few positions just fine. But once you start losing mass players that little bit of experience and quality accumulates a lot to be a big difference.

Ultimately winning a grand final makes it worth it. But talking up losing all these players as no big deal or even as a good thing is just ridiculous. Would love to be proven wrong. But we wont be a premiership threat in 2023. Can't even see us being a top 4 threat but hopefully Nathan keeps improving so he can atleast keep us flogging shit teams like Manly/Roosters this year.

From that 13 kikau, Burton Capewell and Api make the starting side, the rest of those players are insignificant losses unless you are the potential of a guy like Laurie. If we stretch our cap now to keep 2 or 3 of the starters in a year or 2 we are struggling to keep guys like critta, Spencer, Nathan, Luai etc the salary cap is a balancing act, you can’t stretch it now without there being consequences in the future.

Like I said earlier I’d rather the club makes decisions to try and a top four team for 5,6 or more years rather than just pay whatever it takes to keep Api or kikau. I prefer discipline than desperation from management. With the age of our team and the quality of Nathan and Jerome and a couple other of the young guys I just don’t agree with this 2-3 year premiership window stuff, I don’t see it. Nathan’s prime will be at least another 6 years, keep a good side around him and we will be a chance but if we are rebuilding in 3 years cause we overspent on Api or kikau or capewell then that would be poor management IMO.

Smug Panther

First Grade
All pretty ordinary options. It’s not about running the attack, it’s about providing an attacking option so the teams attack is varied.
Api holds a lot of the opposition defenders in the middle because they know how good a runner he is. Creating space out wide for Nathan and Luai

From that 13 kikau, Burton Capewell and Api make the starting side, the rest of those players are insignificant losses unless you are the potential of a guy like Laurie. If we stretch our cap now to keep 2 or 3 of the starters in a year or 2 we are struggling to keep guys like critta, Spencer, Nathan, Luai etc the salary cap is a balancing act, you can’t stretch it now without there being consequences in the future.

Like I said earlier I’d rather the club makes decisions to try and a top four team for 5,6 or more years rather than just pay whatever it takes to keep Api or kikau. I prefer discipline than desperation from management. With the age of our team and the quality of Nathan and Jerome and a couple other of the young guys I just don’t agree with this 2-3 year premiership window stuff, I don’t see it. Nathan’s prime will be at least another 6 years, keep a good side around him and we will be a chance but if we are rebuilding in 3 years cause we overspent on Api or kikau or capewell then that would be poor management IMO.

The thing is there were more options than simply overpaying Api at the end of 2021.

We could’ve either tried to re-sign him a little earlier, and if that failed tried to snare Mahoney. It seems like we put all our eggs in the Api at the end of the season basket.

I’m disappointed by the lack of planning more than anything else.

Edit: Same goes for Kikau. If we tried earlier maybe we keep Capewell. This hasn’t been a good off season for retention.

Iamback

Coach

Verrills has won a comp at 22. He scored a try too. So clearly has some attack
Had more kick metres then Api last season.
Had more try assists then Api. Api did score more tries though
Defence wise Verrill's at 90% and Api 91% tackle effectiveness

Running was way down between the 2 but if the price point is good then it looks a good fit

Hooked

Juniors
Verrills has won a comp at 22. He scored a try too. So clearly has some attack
Had more kick metres then Api last season.
Had more try assists then Api. Api did score more tries though
Defence wise Verrill's at 90% and Api 91% tackle effectiveness

Running was way down between the 2 but if the price point is good then it looks a good fit

If Verrills is that good why did the Roosters sign Smith?

Latest posts