What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

WestyLife

First Grade
That is one example.

Him slotting into FB in Round 3. Given Burton was already in the halves did well.

Or the PF. In a tight game he could slot in while Luai was getting a HIA. I don't remember anything bad then?

That allowed Burton to stay at centre instead of forcing Burton in one. Putting Capewell from the right side to left.

Much better when someone just comes in

Pretty sure the epic Sorensen cover tackle was because May was too slow to cover his man if I'm remembering correctly. His lack of athleticism is his biggest problem. If he could get some speed in his legs even to average nrl player he'd be a lot better.

Iamback

Coach
Pretty sure the epic Sorensen cover tackle was because May was too slow to cover his man if I'm remembering correctly. His lack of athleticism is his biggest problem. If he could get some speed in his legs even to average nrl player he'd be a lot better.

Again it isn't about May as such. The way someone like that makes the bench make up so easier.

The general thoughts seem to be Tago at centre.
Assuming Martin/Kiks start in the back row

There is no way Kenny can be the 14. So it leaves someone that should be in the
17 out.

betcats

Referee

No that is wrong, that break came off a pass from Burton that went to ground, Hughes was already in front of may when he picked it up

WestyLife

First Grade
No that is wrong, that break came off a pass from Burton that went to ground, Hughes was already in front of may when he picked it up

Truthfully I barely remember the moment itself other than the relief at the cover defence and the fact May looked like he was running in sand.

mxlegend99

Referee
Someone better let Bellamy know he’s been wasting a bench spot on a utility all these years, bloody clueless idiot he is
He definitely wasted a spot against us which likely lost him the game.

Hynes and Grant on the bench was pretty stupid. In such a close game having another front rower instead of one of them could have been a game changer.

Girds89

Bench
His utility value is massively overrated.

He's a terrible centre.
He's an average half at best.
He's an average relief hooker.
He's an average second row/lock.

Being able to cover positions at poor standards should not make someone a utility. He hasnt looked an NRL player in a long time.

You can throw anyone in any position and get similar results to May. Never understood how players can build a rep as a utility based on playing average footy in numerous positions. Kurt Gidley was the king of that. Tyrone May comes close

I agree on most of this but bit harsh on gidely. Always much maligned like mitch pearce especially at rep level but he was a much better player than tyrone. Not even comparable.

Iamback

Coach
He definitely wasted a spot against us which likely lost him the game.

Hynes and Grant on the bench was pretty stupid. In such a close game having another front rower instead of one of them could have been a game changer.

Smith plays a forward.

Hynes becomes very useless if Olam goes off instead of Welsch.

You win more games then you lose carrying the extra utility

Girds89

Bench

Once u lose your speed you dont get it back.

He was never quick to begin with.

Said it 18 months ago. Connor watson is the best 14 in the game. Really wish w could have got him.

Our main focus now must be angus critchon. With the left overs get nikorima for 23 and if theres any left over bring in a experienced avg centre.

Surely the chooks couldnt compete if we offered 700+ for angus. Hes worth that everyday of the week.

The_Frog

First Grade
He does but not to a very good standard though. Look at the GF, he nearly lost us the game except for the Crichton intercept.
He dropped one pass, and it was a poorly directed pass at that. That was the only mistake. He was fine apart from that, playing with an injury. I'm sure if he'd thrown that ball you'd still have blamed him for the error.

You might as well say Cleary and Edwards nearly cost us the game by letting Walker waltz through them to score.

If the premiership winning coach with a 91% win rate over 77 games believes in him, who are any of us to argue?

Smug Panther

First Grade
He dropped one pass, and it was a poorly directed pass at that. That was the only mistake. He was fine apart from that, playing with an injury. I'm sure if he'd thrown that ball you'd still have blamed him for the error.

You might as well say Cleary and Edwards nearly cost us the game by letting Walker waltz through them to score.

If the premiership winning coach with a 91% win rate over 77 games believes in him, who are any of us to argue?
Ridiculous to use a win percentage over 2 years, utter nonsense really

Girds89

Bench
I really think everyone is stressing alot about the 14 position.

If we really want a bog avg 14 who can cover the same amount of positions as may than salmon is the option.

For me personally i think ivan should look to be revolutionary instead of following the trend.

In the modern day game the 14 is generally just a hooker who can cover many other positions.

For me id really like to see a real impact player fill that role.

Someone with blistering speed.

Someone who can come on when teams are heavily fatigued and run them ragged.

Niwhai Puru loks to have those skills but is very fresh. Staines imo just doesnt have the running style to fill that kind of role. He runs to straight and doesnt have the best step.

Someone with the skillset of jayden campbell coming off the bench with 10 to go in each half playing in the middle with a licence to just roam and get involved and run at tired players.

The modern game is faster than ever and the big forwards get buggered. There was soo many blow outs scores last year because the good teams got huge amounts of possession and teams just got fatigued and couldnt keep up.

I think instead of picking a 14 like every other team and being comservative and just having someone whose avg on the bench who really isnt particually good at any position but can cover 5 or 6 at an avg rate is so conservative and stuck in a thought process like every other coach.

Ivan needs to take a risk or two if we want to go back to back. Take a risk. Give a rookie like puru a chance at 14 and just tell the kid hes got two 7 to 10 min stints..run like a jack in the box at any tired player you see and get quick play the balls. Kick on the 4th or 5th if you see a solid oppurtunity. Back your skills and self.

Ive only seen highlights of his and live feeds on the net of his games. But his running game is top notch. He looks very very talented.

No he couldnt fill in for an injured forward. He could cover 9, 6, 7 and maybe the backs at a pinch. But imo id rather try be aggressive, positive and different..rather than conservative and have a avg 14 on the bench who offers nothing, just in case someone gets injured.

Original Name

Juniors
He was never quick to begin with.

Said it 18 months ago. Connor watson is the best 14 in the game. Really wish w could have got him.

Our main focus now must be angus critchon. With the left overs get nikorima for 23 and if theres any left over bring in a experienced avg centre.

Surely the chooks couldnt compete if we offered 700+ for angus. Hes worth that everyday of the week.
Boyd Cordener would be the highest paid forward being captain. Angus will be the future captain he'll just inherit that sorta main forward leader contract.