What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
I really think everyone is stressing alot about the 14 position.

If we really want a bog avg 14 who can cover the same amount of positions as may than salmon is the option.

For me personally i think ivan should look to be revolutionary instead of following the trend.

In the modern day game the 14 is generally just a hooker who can cover many other positions.

For me id really like to see a real impact player fill that role.

Someone with blistering speed.

Someone who can come on when teams are heavily fatigued and run them ragged.

Niwhai Puru loks to have those skills but is very fresh. Staines imo just doesnt have the running style to fill that kind of role. He runs to straight and doesnt have the best step.

Someone with the skillset of jayden campbell coming off the bench with 10 to go in each half playing in the middle with a licence to just roam and get involved and run at tired players.

The modern game is faster than ever and the big forwards get buggered. There was soo many blow outs scores last year because the good teams got huge amounts of possession and teams just got fatigued and couldnt keep up.

I think instead of picking a 14 like every other team and being comservative and just having someone whose avg on the bench who really isnt particually good at any position but can cover 5 or 6 at an avg rate is so conservative and stuck in a thought process like every other coach.

Ivan needs to take a risk or two if we want to go back to back. Take a risk. Give a rookie like puru a chance at 14 and just tell the kid hes got two 7 to 10 min stints..run like a jack in the box at any tired player you see and get quick play the balls. Kick on the 4th or 5th if you see a solid oppurtunity. Back your skills and self.

Ive only seen highlights of his and live feeds on the net of his games. But his running game is top notch. He looks very very talented.

No he couldnt fill in for an injured forward. He could cover 9, 6, 7 and maybe the backs at a pinch. But imo id rather try be aggressive, positive and different..rather than conservative and have a avg 14 on the bench who offers nothing, just in case someone gets injured.

Puru isn't that quick though but still better than Kenny

BxTom

Bench
Someone better let Bellamy know he’s been wasting a bench spot on a utility all these years, bloody clueless idiot he is
Yes, what would Bellamy know - he'd be better off listening to an armchair expert that knows it all!

Girds89

Bench
Puru isn't that quick though but still better than Kenny

He looks as quick as jerome luai. All you need is speed over the first 10m in the nrl, especially in the middle around tired forwards..

That initial 10m burst is where the majority of mid field damage is done.

Yes on the wing centre you need 40m speed, but in the middle its that real fast step instanst acceleration.

And in that regard he looks just like jerome. He generates a lot of power from his step and change of direction.

Im not saying he has to be 14. I just think a player in that mold..the jayden campbell mould, thats the 14 we should have.

You dont go back to back being conservative.

Take a risk. Give a rookie a chance. If staines gets first go at wing than give tiny the 14.

Let him have the last 10 of each half and just go hell for leather around the ruck and tired props.

Yes a player in that mould wont cover an injury as well as a genuine 14 utility. But tyrone, whilst solid, didnt exactly offer anything.

In a tight game with no injuries i know id much rather a dynamic 14 coming on that someone like tyrone just giving someone a 10min breather.

Girds89

Bench
One bloke i really wish we had in 22 was tpj..

Do we have a forward that really is willing to get under the skin of opponents like he did i his short time here?

Yes jfh is the best prop in the game, but in many ways he is very respectful. He doesnt niggle or tread the line.

I think theres two players who almost single handedly got us to the gf.

Edwards easily for me was the number 1 bloke..

But tpj had some huge huge moments.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
They sure as hell did in the 2021 prelim.

According to Bulldog Ritchie W/T are offering up either Liddle or Simpkins for 2022 in exchange for Api.

The Penrith suits have decided against this.

According to Ritchie Api could be fined up to $80,000 for the games missed, if he remains unvaccinated. Ritchie says Api will miss 4 games outside the state in regular season.

Article in the Telecrap suggesting Tigers approached us to offer up Liddle OR Simpkin (not to be confused with Simpkins) in exchange for Koroisau for 2022. Apparently Blore was also mentioned but the details are a bit vague on that. According to the source the offer was promptly turned down by us.

Tigers won’t be contenders next year so it’s interesting they’re so keen on bringing in an unvaccinated Api a year early. It also seems crazy that they’d let one of the most promising young hookers in the game walk just to get their guy a year early.

I’ve made my thoughts on Liddle well known but if the offer was Simpkin AND Blore for Koroisau it would be well worth considering. It would undoubtedly hurt our chances of going back to back, but would have the potential to solidify two positions of need long term.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Article in the Telecrap suggesting Tigers approached us to offer up Liddle OR Simpkin (not to be confused with Simpkins) in exchange for Koroisau for 2022. Apparently Blore was also mentioned but the details are a bit vague on that. According to the source the offer was promptly turned down by us.

Tigers won’t be contenders next year so it’s interesting they’re so keen on bringing in an unvaccinated Api a year early. It also seems crazy that they’d let one of the most promising young hookers in the game walk just to get their guy a year early.

I’ve made my thoughts on Liddle well known but if the offer was Simpkin AND Blore for Koroisau it would be well worth considering. It would undoubtedly hurt our chances of going back to back, but would have the potential to solidify two positions of need long term.

I agree with you're thinking, especially as Api remains unvaccinated and can't play outside the state.

Another article has suggested that Penrith are interested in Josh Hodgkinson (I hope that spelling is right) from the Raiders. Personally I'd prefer not to go down the Josh pathway.

Iamback

Coach

Simpkin at 20 could really build in our system. Even Talau looks decent if paired with him

DinkyDi

Juniors
I agree with you're thinking, especially as Api remains unvaccinated and can't play outside the state.

Another article has suggested that Penrith are interested in Josh Hodgkinson (I hope that spelling is right) from the Raiders. Personally I'd prefer not to go down the Josh pathway.
It would not surprise me if Api, decides to become vaccinated when he changes clubs.