What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Kilkenny

Coach
Wrong again. You should watch some of last seasons games again.
I agree. You can’t compare what Dylan Edwards brings to our team in comparison to Tommy T, James T, and RTS to name a few. He just isn’t at there level running the footy or with ball in hand. Having said that he is paid half, or even less what they are paid. He offers great value for money money given his strengths.

Girds89

Bench
Watched them all a few times. He simply can't ballplay at all. 15 years ago Edwards would have been an elite fullback but the game has moved on, sides figured us out at the end of the year and were shutting down Nathan and Luai. We had nothing out the back to challenge them with

I dont really think we got figured out. I think nathan was basically completly busted which seriously affected our attack. He just didnt have the running game he had earlier in the year and when a halfs not taking it to the line theres no space for the outside players and dyl was always outside nath.

To an extent half the team was busted.

The reality is we beat all the top teams basically at 60-70% of our attacking capabilities due to injuries and our defence.

At full strength i think we win alot of the back of the season games alot more comfortably.

Original Name

Juniors
I dont really think we got figured out. I think nathan was basically completly busted which seriously affected our attack. He just didnt have the running game he had earlier in the year and when a halfs not taking it to the line theres no space for the outside players and dyl was always outside nath.

The reality is we beat all the top teams basically at 60-70% of our attacking capabilities due to injuries and our defence.

At full strength i think we win alot of the back of the season games alot more comfortably.
If you guys are talking about towards the end of the year like 5-6 of our starting 13 couldn't train properly in the finals. That's why the club simplified the attack so much and it looked so basic.

hindy111

Post Whore
I meant if Edwards can string some games together I reckon he can get to the level of Gutho, but he'd be harder working and have shitter hands vs Gutho. Gutho's ballplaying is underated.

Edwards runs harder and breaks more tackles. Solid player.
Gutherson is fit,safe,energetic,brilliant defenders and great ball playing but borderline to slow and not dynamic enough to be a real top shelf fullback.

But when look at say Ponga or Walsh. They have so much more attack and brilliance but defense is not in same level or consistency. But you'll pay 1mill plus for those highlight reels.

I think you either want a full stud like Turbo,RTS or Teddy or next tier. Guys like Ponga or even Papenhauzen are brilliant attackers but have floors elsewhere.

hindy111

Post Whore
Watched them all a few times. He simply can't ballplay at all. 15 years ago Edwards would have been an elite fullback but the game has moved on, sides figured us out at the end of the year and were shutting down Nathan and Luai. We had nothing out the back to challenge them with

Yes what I suggested. It would of been a hard call but long term they probably had to get Burton into the spine in 2020 and on a long term contract.

hindy111

Post Whore
I'll put a bet that Kikau won't finish contract at the Dogs. Surprised they gave him 4yrs and at 800k. He is another of those guys who does a few highlights every 2nd game but the rest of his game is only that of most other NRL players. His defense would be bordering average compared to the other 40 odd 2nd rowers in the NRL.

The_Frog

First Grade
I think you either want a full stud like Turbo,RTS or Teddy or next tier. Guys like Ponga or even Papenhauzen are brilliant attackers but have floors elsewhere.
RTS has gone to Union, Teddy has slowed down heaps but still has courage and brains and while those continue to serve him well he'll remain a Rooster. Turbo would break the bank and didn't help Manly against the strong defensive sides, but he'll get you into the top 4 on for and against, provided he stays healthy. Pap is very sharp but not a patch on Edwards as a defensive organiser, and at double the price, and he has concussion issues.

Na, I'll keep the one we've got thanks.

snickers007

Juniors
RTS has gone to Union, Teddy has slowed down heaps but still has courage and brains and while those continue to serve him well he'll remain a Rooster. Turbo would break the bank and didn't help Manly against the strong defensive sides, but he'll get you into the top 4 on for and against, provided he stays healthy. Pap is very sharp but not a patch on Edwards as a defensive organiser, and at double the price, and he has concussion issues.

Na, I'll keep the one we've got thanks.

Exactly right. There is so much more to rugby league than attack. When you have a gun defensive unit, and only concede 12 points per match, you don't need attacking weapons all over the park.

Edwards is integral to our defensive success. If we lose him, we might as well change our entire gameplan.

betcats

Referee
Exactly right. There is so much more to rugby league than attack. When you have a gun defensive unit, and only concede 12 points per match, you don't need attacking weapons all over the park.

Edwards is integral to our defensive success. If we lose him, we might as well change our entire gameplan.

Edwards missed 7 games in 2021 and we never conceded more than 12 points in any of them.

Pomoz

Bench

I have head comments along the lines of "yeah, we were busted, but all teams play busted at that time of year".

Ok, that is true, but it is who is busted that is most crucial. The spine runs the team. Bust the spine and you are halfway to losing. Reed Mahoney had the same injury as Nathan and couldn't play on which gives you an idea of how debilitating the injury is. Nathan toughed it out but he was a liability on defence, missing 9 tackles. His passing motion was jerky and stilted and he couldn't really throw long passes.

Edwards had a broken foot. That means we had two players in the spine who were playing busted. South's may have lost Mitchell, but they had somebody at fullback who was 100% fit and their halves and Hooker were 100%. Well, as fit as anybody can be at the end of a long season. All the players in both teams suffer from general wear and tear at this stage, 100% is a relative term.

As somebody said earlier, the other team may have "worked" us out. They worked out that even busted up, we were too good!