What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

chrisD

Coach
We had the same issue last year. Despite him not playing right centre.

the guys inside is the issue or including Edwards
Crichton can not position and pass to an outside man at an adequate NRL centre level. It is not and never has been a side of the field thing, it is a Crichton thing. Why you all insist Crichton is something he's not is bewildering, like what do you have to gain by doing it? And what happens if he ever does get shifted to the left again and he's the same 'centre' he's always been?
He is a centre that starves his outside man. Staines was not getting much clean ball from Crichton. Now To'o is having the same problem, his metres have dropped off as he has to come back inside. Time to look for a good centre and let Crichton chase the big money elsewhere.
Crichton and Momo are not why Staines is not good enough for this side.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Crichton can not position and pass to an outside man at an adequate NRL centre level. It is not and never has been a side of the field thing, it is a Crichton thing. Why you all insist Crichton is something he's not is bewildering, like what do you have to gain by doing it? And what happens if he ever does get shifted to the left again and he's the same 'centre' he's always been?

Crichton and Momo are not why Staines is not good enough for this side.
The only time he really passes well are the out the back flick passes

Hookers are a millions times more important than props.
Petro is also the worst signing in this clubs history, we gave a good prop rep halfback money
That was during a dark phase of Panthers history where we were desperate to sign anyone considered marquee. And it took Gower’s resignation to be able to sign him.

Dark days when a player like Mark O’Halloran was trumpeted as a major signing!!

maple_69

Bench
To’o’s metres were barely a result of our overpowered left side given we typically hit Kikau/Burton on those shifts. He’s down on form this year and isn’t earning the same consistent PCM as last year. A serious injury doesn’t help.

I don’t disagree that Critta is not a particularly great draw and pass man but our right side has been anaemic for a decade plus. We haven’t been able to do the work on the inside required for those guys to do their jobs for a long time.

Absolutely can’t afford to offer Critta more than $600K or so to be a centre though which I’d say means he has to walk. It’s not like we don’t have very good looking centre options in Jenkins and potentially Turuva.

Black Panther

Juniors
To’o’s metres were barely a result of our overpowered left side given we typically hit Kikau/Burton on those shifts. He’s down on form this year and isn’t earning the same consistent PCM as last year. A serious injury doesn’t help.

I don’t disagree that Critta is not a particularly great draw and pass man but our right side has been anaemic for a decade plus. We haven’t been able to do the work on the inside required for those guys to do their jobs for a long time.

Absolutely can’t afford to offer Critta more than $600K or so to be a centre though which I’d say means he has to walk. It’s not like we don’t have very good looking centre options in Jenkins and potentially Turuva.
The problem there is all the others that may follow him out the door if we get rid of him.. We have finally built a team that others envy. Hopefully we can get Crichton over the line, for the right money.

Iamback

Coach
It is the whole package with Crichton though.

He is a left centre playing on the right side because the team needs it
When he fills in a fullback he is better than most of them
He is the back up goal kicker

Also is great for clutch plays

The intercept in the GF is clear. The one v Parra was even more important
Had a few try savers in the Prelim too

Staggs is a good price reference for him. The 2 should be the same

Girds89

Bench
It is the whole package with Crichton though.

He is a left centre playing on the right side because the team needs it
When he fills in a fullback he is better than most of them
He is the back up goal kicker

Also is great for clutch plays

The intercept in the GF is clear. The one v Parra was even more important
Had a few try savers in the Prelim too

Staggs is a good price reference for him. The 2 should be the same
100% agree. Hes also probably the best defensive centre in the game. Or if not the best hes in top few %.

Whilst i dont think hes 800k worth hes still probs worth 750.

The fact is he just cant do what joey manu can do with ball in hand.

Manu has the ability to create overlaps out of nothing. He can burn a man with ease.

I just cant see critta ever getting to that level. But hes a very good attacking footy player and great defender.. hes just not elite. Never going to be like gi or latrell (at his best) or manu in attack...

Iamback

Coach
100% agree. Hes also probably the best defensive centre in the game. Or if not the best hes in top few %.

Whilst i dont think hes 800k worth hes still probs worth 750.

The fact is he just cant do what joey manu can do with ball in hand.

Manu has the ability to create overlaps out of nothing. He can burn a man with ease.

I just cant see critta ever getting to that level. But hes a very good attacking footy player and great defender.. hes just not elite. Never going to be like gi or latrell (at his best) or manu in attack...

We don't play expansive footy so hard to judge

Maybe we evolve into that side with the changes to the squad but atm it isn't an issue. Just need the right side to keep working on things and who knows

Girds89

Bench
We don't play expansive footy so hard to judge

Maybe we evolve into that side with the changes to the squad but atm it isn't an issue. Just need the right side to keep working on things and who knows
But the elite players like gi, manu, etc dont need expansive footy.

Those types of elite centres are the guys you could throw the ball and theyd just make something happen out of nothing.. staggs i think might get to that level.

Critta just isnt going to be that good in attack. He is good if theres a half oppurtunity or finishing off a well worked play but creating something out of nothing not as much.

I strongly believe tago will overtake him within 12 months. To me he already looks a way stronger attacking player.

Iamback

Coach
But the elite players like gi, manu, etc dont need expansive footy.

Those types of elite centres are the guys you could throw the ball and theyd just make something happen out of nothing.. staggs i think might get to that level.

Critta just isnt going to be that good in attack. He is good if theres a half oppurtunity or finishing off a well worked play but creating something out of nothing not as much.

I strongly believe tago will overtake him within 12 months. To me he already looks a way stronger attacking player.

I'd have to re-watch some games from 2020 but he had like 20 linebreaks that year. 10 try assists

Some of those must of been half a chance made into something.

He and Tago are 1 and 2 for centres scoring tries.

So he is doing stuff with the ball

Re Kiks. This year he has been brilliant and worth every cent; I mentioned before he is like a peak Tony P, but Tony P only played like that for 20 minutes a game and this year Kiks has been all in, all the time.

My concern is he is a really big man and his effectiveness depends a lot on his athleticism. Maybe I am wrong and Bulldogs have got a good one, but I can’t help but feel he will slow down significantly over the next few years.

To a certain extent I think the same for Api. Coming towards the twilight of his career, wants an upgrade in money and a longer deal.

So I like the decisions around these two players. Perhaps we get them wrong and they kill it where they go (or perhaps they don’t kill it there but will have killed it with us, that is one we will never know). But it feels like a risk to bet that much on players at this stage of their career; I’d rather back the development team to find other quality players, and the coaching staff to evolve our game plans to reflect the strengths of those players.

For me, the only contract I question is Fish’s; it feels quite long to me and while he is still a warrior, it feels like his effectiveness has reduced somewhat this year. For me Spencer is the front rower we need to ensure we keep long-term; I think he is probably the most impactful front rower I have ever seen and he is still so young. Yes he only plays short minutes, but we are so demonstrably better in those minutes and blow sides off the park while he is on.