What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Original Name

Juniors
He got run down last week by a 5/8 nsw cup
Eventually but what matters most in Rugby League is how quickly you accelerate much more than your top speed. He got ran down but because he was quick enough to make the break so it still lead to a try in the end. He doesn't have the top speed but he can accelerate quick enough to go with the quickest like Fox for a time.

mxlegend99

Referee
Jesus. Players who are faster can still get tired and not every run is at top pace. Seen many faster guys chased down for varying reasons. Staines is clearly quick. How fast he is compared to others is hard to judge.

Though I would think Paps is quicker than him. Or atleast able to play at high speed for longer periods of the game. He just seems to always be at 100%.

Kilkenny

Coach
Jesus. Players who are faster can still get tired and not every run is at top pace. Seen many faster guys chased down for varying reasons. Staines is clearly quick. How fast he is compared to others is hard to judge.

Though I would think Paps is quicker than him. Or atleast able to play at high speed for longer periods of the game. He just seems to always be at 100%.
What you say is true in many respects.

Im not convinced Staines is as quick as we once believed, certainly fast enough, just not a genuine speedster.

As Rob Weaver used to say, it is really not about how quick a player is over the 100 metres, it is about how quick you are over 40 and in many respects that is very true.

Black Panther

Juniors
What you say is true in many respects.

Im not convinced Staines is as quick as we once believed, certainly fast enough, just not a genuine speedster.

As Rob Weaver used to say, it is really not about how quick a player is over the 100 metres, it is about how quick you are over 40 and in many respects that is very true.
I reckon Tago is nearly as quick over 40m if not faster.

maple_69

Bench
Massive news re Ciraldo. Club is in crazy good shape when dudes knocking back several NRL head coaching gigs to continue being part of something special.

Re Turuva, I don’t think we owe him a run this year, as long as Ivan is clear with him what his role is next year if he earns it. Would love to see it in any case. Jenkins also. Keen to see where Smith has got to. Could certainly use some light resting over the last month of the regular season to give these guys and our experiences depth a gallop.

The Realist

Juniors
Holmes has bulked up moving over to the USA. Still got some toe but isn't as quick as he once was pre move.

What? The dude registered very quick numbers at the NFL Combine. Pretty sure he was amongst the very quickest of running back prospects. I have no doubt that he'd have been a good running back if he had started at college level in the States. The huge gap in game knowledge is what killed both his and Haynes prospective NFL careers.

Smug Panther

First Grade
We are going to slide a fair bit without Kikau and especially Api so after we lift the trophy this year Ivan would be smart to bail on top and go out a winner.

betcats

Referee
What? The dude registered very quick numbers at the NFL Combine. Pretty sure he was amongst the very quickest of running back prospects. I have no doubt that he'd have been a good running back if he had started at college level in the States. The huge gap in game knowledge is what killed both his and Haynes prospective NFL careers.

NFL players are built for short bursts he definitely wasnt the NRL player he was when he left because of that, the conditioning is completely different for the two sports. He seems to be back in NRL shape now but when he first came back he wasn't able to maintain anywhere near his peak for an entire footy game.

As for who is the quickest in our team Edwards said it was Staines about a month ago during one of Mitch Kennys Q and As on instagram. Whether that is over 40 or more i dont know but I would be confident that Dylan has a better idea than we do. Kade Dykes who also has played fullback this year would probably run down everyone in our team his is noted for his speed and looked very fast chasing Charlie.

Black Panther

Juniors
NFL players are built for short bursts he definitely wasnt the NRL player he was when he left because of that, the conditioning is completely different for the two sports. He seems to be back in NRL shape now but when he first came back he wasn't able to maintain anywhere near his peak for an entire footy game.

As for who is the quickest in our team Edwards said it was Staines about a month ago during one of Mitch Kennys Q and As on instagram. Whether that is over 40 or more i dont know but I would be confident that Dylan has a better idea than we do. Kade Dykes who also has played fullback this year would probably run down everyone in our team his is noted for his speed and looked very fast chasing Charlie.
It was actually Luke Metcalfe who chased down Staines I believe.

snickers007

Juniors
It boggles my mind the amount of people who continue to doubt Staines speed.

I remember an interview with Hayden Knowles from last year, and among other things, he spoke about Staines speed. He said that they don't even bother timing him, and they encourage him to not push himself during pre-season / training.

They don't need to see him at full flight or take official metrics to know he's head and shoulders above everyone else.

As to why we don't see it in games? Potentially lots of reasons. But I'd argue that we've probably only seen him at top speed 2-3 times, including his 2 games in 2020 when Naden was putting him away (and he eventually injured his hamstring). And again in 2021 when he turned and beat an already flying Addo-Carr to a grubber in the in goal.

I think our style of footy is not conducive to showcasing someone like Staines full skills. We've never seen Cleary kick early to Staines side and have him tearing down the flank (despite Cleary using that tactic for Addo-Carr in Origin).
We've never used Staines on the left wing where we seem to have more space and cleaner ball.

Put him in a different team that doesn't use their wingers and fullback as battering rams a smart playmaker and I reckon he'd be lethal.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
It boggles my mind the amount of people who continue to doubt Staines speed.

I remember an interview with Hayden Knowles from last year, and among other things, he spoke about Staines speed. He said that they don't even bother timing him, and they encourage him to not push himself during pre-season / training.

They don't need to see him at full flight or take official metrics to know he's head and shoulders above everyone else.

As to why we don't see it in games? Potentially lots of reasons. But I'd argue that we've probably only seen him at top speed 2-3 times, including his 2 games in 2020 when Naden was putting him away (and he eventually injured his hamstring). And again in 2021 when he turned and beat an already flying Addo-Carr to a grubber in the in goal.

I think our style of footy is not conducive to showcasing someone like Staines full skills. We've never seen Cleary kick early to Staines side and have him tearing down the flank (despite Cleary using that tactic for Addo-Carr in Origin).
We've never used Staines on the left wing where we seem to have more space and cleaner ball.

Put him in a different team that doesn't use their wingers and fullback as battering rams a smart playmaker and I reckon he'd be lethal.
Honestly, the club is playing favourites. he isnt 1.

snickers007

Juniors
Honestly, the club is playing favourites. he isnt 1.

Not sure if this is the right take. NRL is a results orientated business, and we're getting results without Staines.

Maybe if Tiny and To'o were playing shit, and the team was losing, and Staines was still playing Cup... But that's not the case.

Latest posts