What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
Let's face it Panthers didn't invent junior development but are leaders in it right now. The reputation comes at a cost. The real issue is the Dolphins having such a limited time to prepare.

I'd argue QLD clubs are in front in that area though atm

WestyLife

First Grade
I'd argue QLD clubs are in front in that area though atm

Not on the level Penrith are now. They won a premiership lost players and moved onto the next guys without breaking a sweat and have lost 1 game on the B2B run. No qld club compares as of now.

ALX25

Juniors
Have they signed anybody from the Dolphins Qld Cup team or Redcliffe juniors?
Just seems Bennett is taking the easy way as he has always done!

No they haven't as yet.

Only locked up some very talented U15 year olds from their catchment.

Iamback

Coach
Not on the level Penrith are now. They won a premiership lost players and moved onto the next guys without breaking a sweat and have lost 1 game on the B2B run. No qld club compares as of now.

Not the 18 year olds they are taking though

mxlegend99

Referee
How good would any of these new kids look at another side without the likes of Cleary, Api, Yeo, Kikau etc.?

We have the best junior system for sure. But their success at the highest level and our results has largely been due to having some of the best in their positions at NRL level in our starting side.

Despite the biggest and best junior nursery in rugby league. We'll be heading in to 2023 without a decent hooker option and have carried one of the most average benches in the competition with Salmon and Kenny. Who get found out anytime we actually need to go to our bench.

We have a stacked starting side. A couple of great bench forwards and then a couple of reserve graders rounding out the bench. We're stacked in some positions for depth. No shortage of backs coming through that's for sure.

But even with the best junior nursery we will need to hit the market to replace the likes of Kikau and Api if we want to be the best still.

Dolphins raiding our system is probably necessary for them. But the guys they're raiding are a long way off being the finished product and IMO it's not going to end well for those players or the dolphins. I just can't see these guys hitting the ground running in a brand new side that's being built from ground up without star power and an effective system in place to bring new guys in

Murraymob1

Juniors
Welll today’s telegraph is reporting assistant coach Andrew Webster is the warriors target to take as head coach .the tigers are also interested.this in itself explains why those clubs are in trouble there solution hire someone from the panthers we start winning
The dogs tried it and look what happened .i wonder at what point clubs see it’s not always about the coaches but also the playing roster.
NSW tried Penrith style and failed game 1 .It works on the back of our back 5 Kilkenny might want to have a crack at coaching hope so I might get that contract .A few bourbon and pies I am ready

Iamback

Coach
How good would any of these new kids look at another side without the likes of Cleary, Api, Yeo, Kikau etc.?

We have the best junior system for sure. But their success at the highest level and our results has largely been due to having some of the best in their positions at NRL level in our starting side.

Despite the biggest and best junior nursery in rugby league. We'll be heading in to 2023 without a decent hooker option and have carried one of the most average benches in the competition with Salmon and Kenny. Who get found out anytime we actually need to go to our bench.

We have a stacked starting side. A couple of great bench forwards and then a couple of reserve graders rounding out the bench. We're stacked in some positions for depth. No shortage of backs coming through that's for sure.

But even with the best junior nursery we will need to hit the market to replace the likes of Kikau and Api if we want to be the best still.

Dolphins raiding our system is probably necessary for them. But the guys they're raiding are a long way off being the finished product and IMO it's not going to end well for those players or the dolphins. I just can't see these guys hitting the ground running in a brand new side that's being built from ground up without star power and an effective system in place to bring new guys in

Nailed it

I get teams trusting their own systems to play their kids.

You have this brand new side and they get 6 players from 1 team. Very strange especially as most haven't even trained with the FT guys

Smug Panther

First Grade
Welll today’s telegraph is reporting assistant coach Andrew Webster is the warriors target to take as head coach .the tigers are also interested.this in itself explains why those clubs are in trouble there solution hire someone from the panthers we start winning
The dogs tried it and look what happened .i wonder at what point clubs see it’s not always about the coaches but also the playing roster.
NSW tried Penrith style and failed game 1 .It works on the back of our back 5 Kilkenny might want to have a crack at coaching hope so I might get that contract .A few bourbon and pies I am ready
I'm not sure of Webster's history but Trent could never coach. Failed with our 20s which is almost impossible

Original Name

Juniors
You assume all the 18 year olds will play first grade though. They're still not done recruiting.

betcats

Referee
Have they signed anybody from the Dolphins Qld Cup team or Redcliffe juniors?
Just seems Bennett is taking the easy way as he has always done!

Realistically the kids from that area who are seen as possible nrl talents would’ve already be signed by other nrl clubs.

What Wayne is doing signing our kids has pissed me off royally and I have serious doubts about how effective it will be for the dolphins, they may be able to offer some kids faster track to first grade but how long will they want to stay if they do progress and find themselves in a struggling nrl team? The dolphins don’t track to be good for years yet, they could get Munster for 2024 and I still wouldn’t be impressed, the forwards they have signed are all at the back end of their careers, they have one half currently with nrl experience, no fullback and they obviously don’t have the ability to replace and produce nrl players them from their own juniors, that is going to take years to build. Any kid who starts looking like a star up there will be looking to do what’s best for their career just like any other player, they aren’t going to stick with a struggling dolphins side out of loyalty when they are all imports. If Teague one of the other Penrith boys kick on and look like stars over the next few years we might be a good chance to bring them home.

Iamback

Coach
Realistically the kids from that area who are seen as possible nrl talents would’ve already be signed by other nrl clubs.

What Wayne is doing signing our kids has pissed me off royally and I have serious doubts about how effective it will be for the dolphins, they may be able to offer some kids faster track to first grade but how long will they want to stay if they do progress and find themselves in a struggling nrl team? The dolphins don’t track to be good for years yet, they could get Munster for 2024 and I still wouldn’t be impressed, the forwards they have signed are all at the back end of their careers, they have one half currently with nrl experience, no fullback and they obviously don’t have the ability to replace and produce nrl players them from their own juniors, that is going to take years to build. Any kid who starts looking like a star up there will be looking to do what’s best for their career just like any other player, they aren’t going to stick with a struggling dolphins side out of loyalty when they are all imports.

I said before and will stick to it. They will play finals before WT or Bulldogs do but the issue is Bennett signed on for 2 years and generally goes all in. Leaving a few lean years after him going some young guys maybe it will be different

Girds89

Bench
If soni luke can get his body right and really have a big off season heavily based around defence than theres no doubt he has the attackimg skills to be a good nrl 9.

Defence and injuries have always been his issue.

Hopefully he can finish the year strong and continue to play well.

Id be willing ti give him first shot at 9 with kenny on bench next year.

As for kiks i really dont know what the awnser is. The kids are a bit off.

Garner is avg. The club should see if the raiders are willing to part with CHN. Hed be a real good pick up and whilst not kiks quality hes a very strong player with plenty of experience.

WestyLife

First Grade

I think it comes back to something dad used to say all the time "perception is fact". Doesn't matter the practicality they were forced into a corner due to timing and going to what they see as the best option in a bad situation.

BxTom

Bench
I think the hiring of Penrith staff is as much about the links to our roster as it is about their skills.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
From Peter Lang:

That’s no disrespect to the Tigers, it’s simply timing. It will also give Cleary the chance to blood some up-and-comers in Sunia Turuva and Thomas Jenkins while Soni Luke and Lindsay Smith are also expected to get a run.