What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

MrBlack

Juniors
Injury news good may just shoulder bruising g no major damage may wish 1 to 2 week Jerome brace off starting rehab running
Cleary is now clearly looking towards the semi's now.

I read somewhere that Kikau's injury last week was nothing more than a "niggle". In normal circumstances he would have been right to play. He was given the week off regardless.

Fangs

Coach
Not sure if it changed now but Mary had no say over who played where

I believe it on recruitment 100%. Nothing crazy about that. Team selections would be a big step and I'd be surprised if he would accept a contract with that included. Especially considering his messy exit from Penrith.

snickers007

Juniors
if the cap is $12million, it now looks silly letting Api and Kiks go.

Surely the NRL won't increase the salary cap from $9.118m to $12m in a single season with 81 days notice.
Especially when all clubs are required to spend 95% of the cap each year ($11.4m).

I understand that some players have salary cap increase clauses in their contracts that will automatically activate and absorb some of the difference, and others will likely be re-signing early on larger deals - but it really screws players who signed early for 2023, and especially screws clubs who lost players because they assumed the salary cap would be staying somewhere close to the current amount.

NRL really need to have a salary cap roadmap for at least years into the future to allow for adequate planning from clubs and players. Deadset amateur hour.

Iamback

Coach
Surely the NRL won't increase the salary cap from $9.118m to $12m in a single season with 81 days notice.
Especially when all clubs are required to spend 95% of the cap each year ($11.4m).

I understand that some players have salary cap increase clauses in their contracts that will automatically activate and absorb some of the difference, and others will likely be re-signing early on larger deals - but it really screws players who signed early for 2023, and especially screws clubs who lost players because they assumed the salary cap would be staying somewhere close to the current amount.

NRL really need to have a salary cap roadmap for at least years into the future to allow for adequate planning from clubs and players. Deadset amateur hour.

Clint Newton called it the exact same thing.

NRLW is worse they are expanding but have no details either

This is from June

But there is expected to be a rise of at least $1 million next year

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
Api and Kikau left because they were able to secure longer deals with the clubs they are going to.

In defence of our retention and recruitment team I’m sure the money we offered them was probably somewhere near what they are going to be earning the sticking point was the length of the deals.

I think we have some major decisions in front of us and perhaps even a minor rebuild on our hands.

We shouldn’t be paying overs for the likes of To’o, Chrichton and Martin. I think we need to retain all three but only on the right money and not pay overs.

Latest posts