What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Whino

Bench
We know what happened last time when Crichton was off contract. Months and months of speculative articles. All about driving up the price.

Iamback

Coach
We know what happened last time when Crichton was off contract. Months and months of speculative articles. All about driving up the price.

That is what Ayoub does

Why would they take him over Averillo that is proving a decent fullback and is cheaper

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Every side in the comp wants our juniors, is what it is.
Also signing off contract players isn't RAIDING. As long as they aren't trying to get blokes to leave early there's no issue.

Exactly Penrith being a development club have a load of kids standing patiently waiting for their chance.

I have no idea whether Critta leaves or stays. It will be for the 2024 season if he goes, not 2023 like some media are reporting.

Every player now who comes to the end of his contract will have the media dribbling and fawning over this.

Murraymob1

Juniors
Ty
Fox stirring the pot

CIRALDO’S FIRST MOVE

Panthers assistant Cameron Ciraldo could reportedly make Origin centre Stephen Crichton his first Bulldogs recruit.

Ciraldo signed a five-year deal beginning from 2023 and The Australian’s Brent Read believes Crichton’s desire to play fullback could see him depart Penrith.

“Stephen Crichton would love to play fullback. Canterbury need a fullback... he is the one guy who would not surprise me at all if we see him at Canterbury in 2024,” Read said on Triple M.

“In 2024 they have so much salary cap room it is not funny.”

Read also revealed there are no clauses surrounding Ciraldo’s move which restrict him from poaching Penrith players.

Therefore, the 37-year-old could poach a number of Panthers who come off contract come November 1, including Crichton, Liam Martin and Scott Sorensen.

“If you remember when Wayne left Souths to go to the Dolphins, Souths made a rule that Wayne couldn’t poach any of their players,” Read said.
“I rang the Panthers, I spoke to Brian Fletcher the chief executive, and whether they would put any rules around Cameron approaching your players.

“They said no, we aren’t going to do that, we trust him, he is a genuine guy, he has been here a long time, we don’t think he would do the wrong thing by us.”

Read also explained that during Ciraldo’s negotiations with rival clubs, the rookie coach hinted that Crichton could be persuaded to make a move with him.

“When Cameron was talking to other clubs, there was some talk that Stephen Crichton was talking to other clubs,” Read said.

“There was a bit of talk that, not Crichton would come with him, but that he would be one bloke who would be tempted to follow him.”

Exactly Penrith being a development club have a load of kids standing patiently waiting for their chance.

I have no idea whether Critta leaves or stays. It will be for the 2024 season if he goes, not 2023 like some media are reporting.

Every player now who comes to the end of his contract will have the media dribbling and fawning over this.
Agree. I have been watching a young 17 year old centre who I hope we sign. Extremely quick and steps off both feet.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
It’s a good test for the power of Ivan to see if he can somehow stem the flow.

Yeo and Dylan should be part of the retention effort

Being a true development club. This is how it works. Players are developed and brought up within the Penrith system.

Penrith cherrypicks the best of these kids. This year it's been May and Tago.

When eventually these kids become too expensive to keep they may choose to move. So they may come out the top, while the club refills from our juniors.

Ahead of this continual development flow are the foundations blokes like Yeo, Fish Cleary, Luai and Edwards. The team is built around these players.

Clubs like Melbourne and Easts have been doing this well for year.

Being a true development club. This is how it works. Players are developed and brought up within the Penrith system.

Penrith cherrypicks the best of these kids. This year it's been May and Tago.

When eventually these kids become too expensive to keep they may choose to move. So they may come out the top, while the club refills from our juniors.

Ahead of this continual development flow are the foundations blokes like Yeo, Fish Cleary, Luai and Edwards. The team is built around these players.

Clubs like Melbourne and Easts have been doing this well for year.
Yes, but It’s been a better selection process for at least 4 or 5 years now and it seems an annual event for the club to plead to the NRL some kind of dispensation for your nursery efforts.

According to the ex junior nrl player at work, Yeo is the best player in the game at the moment by a fair margin. He’s a rooster guy, but in on Yeo-watch. Raves about him.

It was Gallen that convinced Wade to leave smuglife for the sharks, so I was thinking Yeo could have a role in face to face retention at the coal face.

Dylan as well because hes so staunch there at the back and self made-what he lacks in flair, he makes up for in hard work and he does the 1%ers. His message to youngsters is that you can become a complete and marquee player without any outrageous natural ability, but via hard work and insatiable thirst for footy knowledge.

I hope to see him in Origin one day, especially a tight game, he’d be safer than squidhead and he’s not an ass&$(& like Tedesco.

So I agree with you.

Last edited:

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Yes, but It’s been a better selection process for at least 4 or 5 years now and it seems an annual event for the club to plead to the NRL some kind of dispensation for your nursery efforts.

According to the ex junior nrl player at work, Yeo is the best player in the game at the moment by a fair margin. He’s a rooster guy, but in on Yeo-watch. Raves about him.

It was Gallen that convinced Wade to leave smuglife for the sharks, so I was thinking Yeo could have a role in face to face retention at the coal face.

Dylan as well because hes so staunch there at the back and self made-what he lacks in flair, he makes up for in hard work and he does the 1%ers. His message to youngsters is that you can become a complete and marquee player without any outrageous natural ability, but via hard work and insatiable thirst for footy knowledge.

I hope to see him in Origin one day, especially a tight game, he’d be safer than squidhead and he’s not an ass&$(& like Tedesco.

So I agree with you.

Just correct you on a small point. Graham left because of Matty Elliot, who was the coach at the time.

Graham was already unhappy with the way Penrith was being run. Gallen just suggest the Sharks might be a 'nice' place for him.

Kilkenny

Coach
Hooper has a lead article on fox sports this afternoon suggesting the Bulldogs have plenty of cap space from 2024 and are in a great position to poach Chrichton, To’o and perhaps Liam Martin. Seriously is they are prepared to offer Stephen Crichton $800k a season then I wish him well, thanks for your service in your short career at our club. He probably can play fullback, but no where near the level of Dylan Edwards who is on $500k - $550k.

Im a little over the media reporting of our salary cap position and how we are not able to be competitive when other clubs such as the Bulldogs seemto be signing whomever they desire with no objective Assessment.

I hope Stephen Crichton stays, perhaps on $600k maximum because anything above that is way overs even if he should improve in the years ahead.

Hooper has a lead article on fox sports this afternoon suggesting the Bulldogs have plenty of cap space from 2024 and are in a great position to poach Chrichton, To’o and perhaps Liam Martin. Seriously is they are prepared to offer Stephen Crichton $800k a season then I wish him well, thanks for your service in your short career at our club. He probably can play fullback, but no where near the level of Dylan Edwards who is on $500k - $550k.

Im a little over the media reporting of our salary cap position and how we are not able to be competitive when other clubs such as the Bulldogs seemto be signing whomever they desire with no objective Assessment.

I hope Stephen Crichton stays, perhaps on $600k maximum because anything above that is way overs even if he should improve in the years ahead.
The way that people have been talking about the salary cap is a little misleading. The reason that the Dogs have so much space shown in 24 is because they have so few players signed for that year. It’s only about 4-5 players and already that is between $2-3 m of cap space (estimated). Kiks and Mahoney are not included in this (contracts not registered, I am assuming because the Dogs have trouble in 23) but they are close enough to $1.5m between them. This is before they upgrade Burto.

The upshot is while they have a lot of cash available, they also have a lot of spaces to fill. Making a big splash for Brian is going to be difficult for them (they already have a big money winger in the Foxx) and they are going to struggle match big offers for Critta.

I couldn't care less what journos speculate on. Penrith players at Dogs, plus Assistant coach who has good relationship with off contract players must equal players go there.
Fact of the matter is it will take overs to pry those 3 out of Penrith. If the Dogs or any other club wants to do it. Go for it.
We will either recruit or promote from within to fill the gap on those 3.

CCJohnC

Juniors
I couldn't care less what journos speculate on. Penrith players at Dogs, plus Assistant coach who has good relationship with off contract players must equal players go there.
Fact of the matter is it will take overs to pry those 3 out of Penrith. If the Dogs or any other club wants to do it. Go for it.
We will either recruit or promote from within to fill the gap on those 3.
We have already signed Garner and now Hosking which would cover Martin.

Latest posts