What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Munky

Coach
A beautiful piece of business done with the Api deal from Manly. Probably one of the best in the club’s history.

John Lang and Marty Lang in a single year and Presto the next.

The Sharks literally handed us premiership pieces.

Plus Priddo at the same time as the Langs.

Edit: The best thing about the Cronulla acquisition was Chris Anderson used to say you needed two good props and a halfback to win the comp.

He gave us two of the three!

Last edited:

Whino

Bench
Cowboys hooker Reece Robson may once again wear the Red V of St George amid reports that the Dragons are keeping an eye on the 24-year-old.

The former NSWRL Under-20 Player of the Year will be free to enter talks with rival clubs from November 1 as he’s currently signed with the Townsville-based side until 2023.

The Australian’s Brent Read revealed this week that the Dragons are in the market for a No.9

“They’ve had a look at a couple of blokes,” Read said on Triple M.
“Jacob Liddle’s one, the other guy they’re really keeping an eye on who’s on their radar long term is Reece Robson, the Cowboys hooker.”

“He’s a former Dragons player,” Aaron Woods replied.

“Former Dragon, played 20s there I think alongside a few of those guys,” Read replied.

“He’s gone one year left on his deal on November 1 he’s able obviously to sign with another club and I reckon if he’s still off-contract, or doesn’t extend with the Cowboys by November 1 I expect the Dragons to have a red hot go at him.”

After joining the Cowboys in 2020, Robson has starred with the Cowboys, which has seen him earn selection in the New South Wales extended squad.

“He’s an interesting one Robson, because early last year I think it was this year, they offered him around, they were shopping around and then suddenly hit form and then took off,” Read said.

“He was in the extended squad and they’ve tried to extend him since then but he’s off talks until at least until after the season’s over.

“I know the Dragons are keeping a really close eye on Reece Robson and how the situation develops up there.

“As you said he’s a Dragons kid, I think he was a Cronulla junior, then he played 20s with Blake Laurie and a couple of other guys.

“He knows a few of the guys there.”
While Robson has been in red hot form with Todd Payten’s side, Read believes securing the 24-year-old won’t be easy as the Cowboys are “desperate” to retain him.

“He’s been outstanding this year for the Cowboys and I know they’re desperate to keep him up there,” Read said.

Woods was impressed has been impressed with Robson’s form this season, especially after cementing himself in the starting line up.

“He’s kicked Jake Granville out of a spot up there, he’s a premiership winner Jake Granville,” Woods said.
To see how Reece Robson has come on and playing 80 minutes now and killing it.”

Moreover Read did conceded that the Dragons could be in hot water if they don’t secure Robson soon, revealing that the club’s minimal depth with hookers.

“It’s a real issue moving forward right if McCullough retires or if he does go around again,” Read said.

“Beyond that there’s no, I don’t think there’s a hooker coming through the system there is there.”

Whino

Bench
TIGERS HALFBACK SET FOR DEPARTURE

Wests Tigers youngster Jock Madden is set to depart the club, after revealing he has a higher chance of securing on-field minutes at a rival

The 22-year-old has the likes of Luke Brooks, Adam Doueihi and Jackson Hastings standing in his way at the Tigers.

However the Panthers and the Bulldogs have reportedly displayed interest in the promising halfback, with Sean O’Sullivan set to join the Dolphins and Kyle Flanagan’s future with the Bulldogs all but stable.

“The Tigers just haven’t given him much of a chance and we feel he will do better at another club,” Madden’s manager Gavin Orr told Wide World of Sports.

Tigers boss Tim Sheens admitted that given the club’s current depth in the halves, the Leichhardt based side simply doesn’t have enough space for Madden.

“He can play and he is a good kid but we just don’t have room for him in our 13,” Sheens said.

“We have other players with more experience who we have committed to.”

Iamback

Coach
TIGERS HALFBACK SET FOR DEPARTURE

Wests Tigers youngster Jock Madden is set to depart the club, after revealing he has a higher chance of securing on-field minutes at a rival

The 22-year-old has the likes of Luke Brooks, Adam Doueihi and Jackson Hastings standing in his way at the Tigers.

However the Panthers and the Bulldogs have reportedly displayed interest in the promising halfback, with Sean O’Sullivan set to join the Dolphins and Kyle Flanagan’s future with the Bulldogs all but stable.

“The Tigers just haven’t given him much of a chance and we feel he will do better at another club,” Madden’s manager Gavin Orr told Wide World of Sports.

Tigers boss Tim Sheens admitted that given the club’s current depth in the halves, the Leichhardt based side simply doesn’t have enough space for Madden.

“He can play and he is a good kid but we just don’t have room for him in our 13,” Sheens said.

“We have other players with more experience who we have committed to.”

Coming here doesn't give him regular gametime though

gurmiyrg__

Juniors
Su'a would be an absolute weapon with us, had his best game for the dragons on the weekend, albeit against the tigers. underutilised with souths and the coach/es not getting his full potential out of him. reported to be on 600k a season, depends whether he'll take much of a paycut or any at all to join us.

Iamback

Coach
Su'a would be an absolute weapon with us, had his best game for the dragons on the weekend, albeit against the tigers. underutilised with souths and the coach/es not getting his full potential out of him. reported to be on 600k a season, depends whether he'll take much of a paycut or any at all to join us.

I thought he was pretty good in the Origin game he played too

Whino

Bench
Coming here doesn't give him regular gametime though

O'Sullivan has played 10 games this year and counting. Madden can come here and learn off the best Halfback in the game, and benefit in our systems. Learn and get a better deal elsewhere in a year or two. Outside possibility he could play a bit of hooker.

Go to the Dogs, play a couple of games and be forgotten.

Iamback

Coach
O'Sullivan has played 10 games this year and counting. Madden can come here and learn off the best Halfback in the game, and benefit in our systems. Learn and get a better deal elsewhere in a year or two. Outside possibility he could play a bit of hooker.

Go to the Dogs, play a couple of games and be forgotten.

The O'Sullivan stats are skewed.

Cleary's shoulder reco and 5 game suspension gave him extra games then is usually the case, Sure he will develop better but if he wants game time then Penrith aren't the one

Whino

Bench
The O'Sullivan stats are skewed.

Cleary's shoulder reco and 5 game suspension gave him extra games then is usually the case, Sure he will develop better but if he wants game time then Penrith aren't the one

Yes I know. But If he wants to learn it makes sense to come here.

Sime_11

Juniors
he'll come here and have the same attitude as Momo - he will realise accountability is a big priniciple here at Penrith :)

Kilkenny

Coach
I’m not sure about the speculation around the pursuit of Jock Madden from the Wests Tigers.

Im not convinced he offers anything more than a back up such as Kurt Falls or perhaps Jack Cole who is obviously highly regarded within the club.

Cap space is obviously tight, surely we should just keep Falls on his minimum deal (assuming he hasn’t signed with Sharks) and invest in a Cole going forward in the short term, particularly given Cole has demonstrated utility ability in the halves and at centre in NSW Cup.

Original Name

Juniors
Soni Luke’s NSW Cup tackle efficiency is very good, he’s also had similar numbers in his (limited) FG appearances. As long as he isn’t a defensive liability, his vastly better attacking game should put him over the top. In the modern game hooker is an attacking position, selecting someone because they’re purely a good defender would ignore a key to our success over the past 3 seasons.

Look at Brandon Smith vs Harry Grant. Smith is the much bigger player, tackles harder and is a good defender. But Grant is a much better attacking hooker. Now obviously neither Luke or Kenny are as good as those blokes, but Smith would only be favoured over Grant if Grant was a defensive liability. Maybe Luke does prove to be a liability in defence, but unless he does, I think he‘ll win the most minutes out of his superior attacking talent.

Soni Luke has had 19 try assists, 4 tries and 7 forced drop outs in NSW cup. He’s much more well rounded than Kenny.
Instead of watching a football game and viewing it through missed tackles watch the play the ball and see the pace of it. How much the defence is on the back foot even before the player has hit the line. If it is quick and puts the defence on the back foot then the previous play the ball is a win for the attacking team and a loss for the defensive team regardless of how many tackles have been missed or the lack of them.

There are hookers and defenders that can consistently deny that to NAS, Taumalolo, Hass, JWH, etc and middle defenders that destructive ball runners in league consistently win the ruck when they run at and so will seek those targets out. The NRL nowadays is all about momentum, quick play the balls, getting them and denying them to your opposition. If you do that you win the game. Missed tackle and offloads can make that harder because through the defensive system breaking down and relying on more individual efforts but missed tackles can also slow a runner, get them off balance and allow them to be dominated in the ruck and offloads can make ball runners flat footed and easy prey.

You can pump someone they fall to the ground someone else lands on them and that's a missed tackle. Luckily for us when things don't go to plan Yeo is one of the best guys at winning the ruck anyway. Arguably a top 3 clean up player in the game.

From memory Franklin Pele was playing the ball at ridiculous speeds in the game against the Jets targeting Luke primarily. The jets just keep knocking on all the time. Players aren't static though. I'm sure Luke will improve it like Kenny did by getting bigger and improving his technique. How quickly you can improve that over is a single pre season with all our rep players coming back late is a bit dicey just like how quickly Kenny can improve his service/attack in one with all the players he'll be playing with coming back in Jan is dicey. Also while Kenny just sorta threw himself at big destructive guys to be a speed bump when he had a lesser technique he's always had extreme toughness to keep doing that even by the standards of a League hooker. Luke is gifted in other areas.

I’m not sure about the speculation around the pursuit of Jock Madden from the Wests Tigers.

Im not convinced he offers anything more than a back up such as Kurt Falls or perhaps Jack Cole who is obviously highly regarded within the club.

Cap space is obviously tight, surely we should just keep Falls on his minimum deal (assuming he hasn’t signed with Sharks) and invest in a Cole going forward in the short term, particularly given Cole has demonstrated utility ability in the halves and at centre in NSW Cup.
Falls is already 26. He'd very likely be searching for a better chance of first grade or even a starting spot in the SL. If he's looking for better opportunity Jock is as good as anyone although I think Tigers fans are suffering from the grass is greener on the other side in regards to Brooks vs him. He's isn't terrible but he isn't a saviour.
If there is any truth to Sua wanting out, I hope we have a go. Could be a good player in the right system
Current Origin player which means he'd command quite a bit of coin. Very unlikely we'd get value for money out of him. Storm got Katoa in their second row, we need to go after those guys who have the potential to be Origin tier/tier one nations players that's untapped like Capewell, Sorenson, etc.

Last edited: