What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

I totally agree that Ivan is a better coach than Coggers previous nrl coaches, and I hope he has a strong ccessful season with the Panthers.

But coaching doesn’t replace talent and skill though, and SOS has more skill than Cogger as a nrl halfback
Sean has left. Give Jack time.

Iamback

Coach
I totally agree that Ivan is a better coach than Coggers previous nrl coaches, and I hope he has a strong ccessful season with the Panthers.

But coaching doesn’t replace talent and skill though, and SOS has more skill than Cogger as a nrl halfback

But as we struggling with our salary cap, his signing is still a good signing to strengthen our squad.

Yep he would be on Minimum wage, At this stage though Cole and Puru would still be my halves.

Although if Tago's shoulder is bad enough to miss some weeks, Then Cole in centres in NSW Cup is a better option

snickers007

Juniors
We need to be realistic with expectation though. Cogger couldn’t keep a starting spot in the very weak and struggling Dogs and Knights teams. He is a downgrade on SOS as the back up halfback.

I feel there's a bit of recency bias at play here.

Before coming to Penrith, O'Sullivan was playing shit football in shit teams too. For example, he couldn't even hold his spot in the wooden spoon bound Broncos in 2020. Before coming to Penrith he had a 38% win record, and had only played 21 games across 4 seasons for 3 different clubs.

I agree that Cogger doesn't have a great win percentage either, but his first 2 seasons he was still eligible for Under 20s and had a serious injury. Then was replaced by the incumbent NSW Halfback in 2018. Later at the Doggies, he was on a hiding to nothing, playing behind a well beaten pack every week.

Cogger will have the same benefits that O'Sullivan had this year: A super dominant forward pack to give him time and space, albeit without a superstar hooker to take the reigns if he's having a quiet one.

I'm confident he'll do the job.

Original Name

Juniors
Hosking needs to hit the gym..

198cm.. 6"6' and only 98kgs.

Would like to see him get up to 106-109kg range.

Wouldnt be excessive for a bloke his height.

Hes seriously underweight for his height for an nrl player. Not going to need him to play 80 like kiks if he gets mins.

Martin and yeo will play 80. Our two left 2md rowers should be aiming for high impact stints
6"6' would mean Hosking's taller than Yeo who's written as 6'5'. That doesn't sound right. Shane Lane's 6"6' for another comparison.

Last edited:

Girds89

Bench
6"6' would mean Hosking's taller than Yeo who's written as 6'5'. That doesn't sound right. Shane Lane's 6"6' for another comparison.
Him and lane are both 198cm.

Lane for comparison is 110kgs. So has 12kgs on hosking.

He really needs to add some bulk to his lanky frame.

Garner is 190cm and 99kg so is relativley lightweight for his height too..

Peachy is obviously a lightweight.

Run the risk of having to many guys in the same mould...

Hosking and garner could both do with smashing the gym.. garner should get to 105kgs and hosking around the 108 mark..

They wont be required for 80 so carrying the extra weight wont hurt.. not trying to turn them inti kikau. But we dont need more 80min back rowers.

Kilkenny

Coach
Can’t say I remember too much about Jack Cogger to be honest. 42 NRL games in his spells with the Knights and Bulldogs so must have some ability even if I can’t remember much about him.

I kind of thought it may have been worth persevering with Kurt Falls given he is used to our systems but I guess he is going to take up an opportunity elsewhere.

Zac Hosking is a useful pickup he looked decent on debut for the Broncos and two time NSW Cup Player of the Year in his time with the Knights so obviously has some ability.

Kilkenny

Coach
Enter Lindsay Smith, athletic, speedy, with an offload, can find a gap, won't fall to the ground when touched like Kiks. Problem solved.
Lindsay Smith has been played in NSW Cup as a middle forward I don’t think he has the skill set to play as a wide running back rower. I think 2023 is his year, I think we will see enormous improvement in him, I really see a bit of Christian Welsh about him. I definitely think he has a long career ahead of him in the NRL, really good kid, whether it is with us or elsewhere 2023 is likely to determine that. He just needs an opportunity and minutes.