What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Tiger Shark

Bench
Reports are that he can be lazy, hence why he was jumped in the pecking order here.

The change hopefully does him good
Ok thanks, maybe a fresh start will do him good. No longer playing with his mates and bro.

Fitz won’t tolerate laziness so won’t have much of an option.

Hows that Fearnley guy go? Who’s he similar too in your opinion?

Iamback

Coach
Ok thanks, maybe a fresh start will do him good. No longer playing with his mates and bro.

Fearnley goes pretty good, We just had too many promising props of that age, He is a hard worker in the Aidan Tolman mould

Original Name

Juniors
@Tiger Shark Fearnley's not really a modern prop. Just a tough guy with an engine. Kept running hard in the u/20's gf when all our other forwards were gassed. Maybe a bit like Toby Rudolph but smaller. Doesn't really have any foot work or he barely uses it. Pretty much just rans hard straight lines and is a pretty hard worker in defence. If you imagine a stereotypical country boy prop he'd pretty much be something like that.

Our recruitment manager at the start of the year was talking about our promising juniors and among them said this about Fearnely.

“He’s no-nonsense,” Hopkins said.

“He’s the type of guy who, if you were playing 1980s or early 90s, he would fit right at home as well.”
Fearnley played a bit of NSW Cup earlier in the year before returning to the Jersey Flegg squad, with a focus on getting his body right for the weekly rigours of playing up front.

“We’re working on him to get a little more body weight on him,” Hopkins said.

“But his last three or four weeks have been very good in the Flegg squad. He did have a taste of Cup early this year but he is a guy with time, we will develop him over the next 12 months and see where he lands.”
In the same article the Puru brothers were always described like this.
“Unbelievably fit and unbelievably professional” is how Hopkins said he would best describe the Puru brothers.

Niwhai has been playing halfback* for the Jersey Flegg side this year while lock forward Hohepa has ran out both alongside his brother and also up in the NSW Cup team.

“I’ve seen them come through the system and I haven’t seen two more professional young players,” Hopkins said.

The Puru brothers were two of seven Panthers prospects who had the chance to join the extended NRL squad for the first six weeks of pre-season training this year.

It was a gruelling step up but one the pair were more than capable of handling given the way they conduct themselves at training.

“They do everything they can to get everything out of themselves,” Hopkins said.

“They don’t leave any boxes unmarked, they do everything that is required to become a professional athlete. They are in that development phase which is where we want them to be.”
*Pretty sure it was five eight not HB.
It's the complete opposite about this stuff about them being lazy trainers some people on here are saying. Dunno where the truth lands.

Last edited:

Black Panther

Juniors
@Tiger Shark Fearnley's not really a modern prop. Just a tough guy with an engine. Kept running hard in the u/20's gf when all our other forwards were gassed. Maybe a bit like Toby Rudolph but smaller. Doesn't really have any foot work or he barely uses it. Pretty much just rans hard straight lines and is a pretty hard worker in defence. If you imagine a stereotypical country boy prop he'd pretty much be something like that.

Our recruitment manager at the start of the year was talking about our promising juniors and among them said this about Fearnely.

In the same article the Puru brothers were always described like this.

*Pretty sure it was five eight not HB.
It's the complete opposite about this stuff about them being lazy trainers some people on here are saying. Dunno where the truth lands.
I would be backing Lee Hopkins to know..

Kilkenny

Coach

Both boys have done well in the lower grades, whether they make the step up to NRL you never know for sure.

I like Brad Fearnley, I think he has a chance of cracking the NRL.

Iamback

Coach
I think Brad probably feels his pathway to the NRL at the Sharks affords him a greater opportunity.

I was talking about Puru

Cole and Iongi jumped him, That is usually down to reasons we as fans don't see.

As for Fearnley we have better

Kilkenny

Coach
I was talking about Puru

Cole and Iongi jumped him, That is usually down to reasons we as fans don't see.

As for Fearnley we have better
I think both Puru boys are talented although I’m not sure either of them will see much NRL. Just a feeling, quality in the juniors, but not sure they have the overall attributes to succeed at the highest level.

betcats

Referee
Yep Jesse has big wraps on him, ive only watched him a couple times but he looks good. 2 hookers in that group, hopefully one can kick on quickly and put some pressure on Kenny/Luke in 2024 and beyond. Hasset kicking on quickly would help us considering how our back row is shaping up with Martin only signing a one year deal.

Yep Jesse has big wraps on him, ive only watched him a couple times but he looks good. 2 hookers in that group, hopefully one can kick on quickly and put some pressure on Kenny/Luke in 2024 and beyond. Hasset kicking on quickly would help us considering how our back row is shaping up with Martin only signing a one year deal.
Ryley Smith is one, who's the other?

Iamback

Coach
Well why would one of our coaches go out of their way to highlight their professionlism when he could have instead said something like they're both super talented, great instincs for footy, grest combonation between them, etc. No reason to lie. It doesn't benefit anyone.

We don't know when the interview took place

Iamback

Coach

He is still SG Ball age too. He is a weapon