What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Blade23

Juniors
If Spencer signs with the Dogs, I wouldn’t be playing him in first grade unless we have injuries. I don’t think he’s good enough to keep the others out and if he doesn’t wanna be here, he can play Reggie’s

Spencer has never been like that. He has always done his job and done it hard. He doesn't give up.
IF he departs it won't be because he doesn't want to be here. It is all about the opportunity to be a starter. Sadly elsewhere.
Something we can't offer here at the moment.

kinghippo

Juniors
I would have let Martin go and keept Spencer and used the left over lollie on a hooker or centre. Spencer you could offer him 400k a year whilst Martin would be around 700k..

Fact is I would have offered Spencer the starting gig for 2023 and looked to offload Leota depending on his current contract as he could be after a much bigger upgrade soon, allowing someone like Blacker to take Spencer's role of coming in like a manic for afew minutes a game moving Kenny to a running prop role when the bench hooker comes on.

I don't think Martin is a game winner, solid asf and does his job but you don't win games off his runs or off his offloading ability unlike Kiks. Should have kept Kiks over Martin, Critter, Leota and Api as he is a genuine game winner when on.

Ivan will have to change his play style this year as the edges won't be attacking so I'd say it will be up the middle playing the fitness game of tackle hard and kick to the corners and win by defence
Martin is a big part of our team.
it’s the effort game that sets us apart and he gives 100% every time.
He is a game winner for Australia and continues to improve every season.
I see all the potential in Spencer but loosing Martin would have hurt us a lot more in my opinion.

Original Name

Juniors
I don’t understand the whole player option for an extra year?

It May as well just be a three year deal, the player is almost always going to elect to invoke the option in his favour.
Probably a question only @Blade23 could answer well. But if they're getting smashed every week and it's miserable, I think it's so they can pull out and go somewhere else.

Last edited:

Blade23

Juniors
I don’t understand the whole player option for an extra year?

It May as well just be a three year deal, the player is almost always going to elect to invoke the option in his favour.

Probably a question only @Blade23 could answer well. But if they're getting smashed every week and it's miserable, I think it's so they can pull out and go somewhere else.

Mutual options give either side an out if things aren't working out.

It benefits the player if his value goes up, or the club he is at stinks and he wants an early exit.
It benefits the club if a player isn't living up to his value, a better option has come along, or it views the player as past it.

Both sides in a mutual option need to say yes.
A player can say he wants to stay; but the club can say no. Making the player a free agent. There are occasions after not taking up the mutual option both sides renegotiate a new deal.

Extra year options are mainly in contracts if a player has reservations about a new club or coach. Or perceived future value.
Clubs do it for future perceived value or worries about a player's longevity.

betcats

Referee

It benefits the player if his value goes up, or the club he is at stinks and he wants an early exit.
It benefits the club if a player isn't living up to his value, a better option has come along, or it views the player as past it.

A player can say he wants to stay; but the club can say no. Making the player a free agent. There are occasions after not taking up the mutual option both sides renegotiate a new deal.

Extra year options are mainly in contracts if a player has reservations about a new club or coach. Or perceived future value.

Hi Blade, Ive been absent for a while so apologies if this has been touched on in the last few weeks but can you provide any updates on our train and trial players, it was reported by Fox we had Faiumu, Amituanai, Mason, Stimson, Sommerton and R.Smith on train and trial deals this preseason. Is that true and how are they looking if so? Particularly interested in the hookers as that seemed an area we were trying to beef up earlier with the NZ kid before it fell through.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Spencer has never been like that. He has always done his job and done it hard. He doesn't give up.
IF he departs it won't be because he doesn't want to be here. It is all about the opportunity to be a starter. Sadly elsewhere.
Something we can't offer here at the moment.
He’s not ready to start. If he wants to be a starter he needs to work harder on his game.

He’s absolutely awesome from the bench as an impact forward, he has the ability to get there, he’s not there yet.

I think moving to the Bulldogs will be a major regret for him, maybe not financially, but I think his game will suffer.

Just my opinion.

Pomoz

Bench

If it requires both to say yes then it is essentially worthless. The Tigers can say no if they want to and Api is no better off than if he stayed at the Panthers. Why would he sign such a bad deal? Players mystify me sometimes. They leave a great club to go and play at a club with several bad years on the trot, rookie assistant coaches and Ronnie Palmer as the trainer. It is no coincidence that our fitness and conditioning improved significantly after Ronnie left the Panthers.

Last edited:

Blade23

Juniors
Hi Blade, Ive been absent for a while so apologies if this has been touched on in the last few weeks but can you provide any updates on our train and trial players, it was reported by Fox we had Faiumu, Amituanai, Mason, Stimson, Sommerton and R.Smith on train and trial deals this preseason. Is that true and how are they looking if so? Particularly interested in the hookers as that seemed an area we were trying to beef up earlier with the NZ kid before it fell through.

Should announced in the next week.
Faiamu has been going really well before the break.
Smith is a good chance for a spot in the top 30. He has had a really good pre-season. As have Henry, Cole, Mav, Lisati, Iongi, McLean and a few others. I would be surprised if McLean didn't get a top 30 position or Dev deal.
Competition is really fierce. I only know one forward atm who is a definite. It will be a shame on the ones that miss out.

Blade23

Juniors
If it requires both to say yes then it is essentially worthless. The Tigers can say no if they want to an Api is no better off than if he stayed at the Panthers. Why would he sign such a bad deal? Players mystify me sometimes. They leave a great club to go and play under at a club with several bad years on the trot, rookie assistant coaches and Ronnie Palmer as the trainer. It is no coincidence that our fitness and conditioning improved significantly after Ronnie left the Panthers.

Money. Some back themselves to get there. Some want that extra year option as a motivation to keep going.

Your right it does have its drawbacks. Clubs will easily look for a way out if things aren't going well.

We never officially offered a him deal here. The club was discussing a 2-year deal early on. His manager knew he could get more. The club was never in a position after that. He wanted a retirement contract. Good luck to him.

Iamback

Coach
Smith is a good chance for a spot in the top 30. He has had a really good pre-season. As have Henry, Cole, Mav, Lisati, Iongi, McLean and a few others. I would be surprised if McLean didn't get a top 30 position or Dev deal.
Competition is really fierce. I only know one forward atm who is a definite. It will be a shame on the ones that miss out.

I have rated McLean for a couple of seasons now. Crichton going likely fast tracks him as it is good to have options

betcats

Referee

Thanks glad to hear competition has been strong.

Original Name

Juniors
@Blade23 Do you know if we are still on the look out for for buying a cheap guy or two from outside the club, are we going to fill the rest of the spots with local juniors or is still undecided?

Kilkenny

Coach
Money. Some back themselves to get there. Some want that extra year option as a motivation to keep going.

Your right it does have its drawbacks. Clubs will easily look for a way out if things aren't going well.

We never officially offered a him deal here. The club was discussing a 2-year deal early on. His manager knew he could get more. The club was never in a position after that. He wanted a retirement contract. Good luck to him.
Does Api still live on the North Shore in Balgowlah or near there somewhere. At least I think he did before coming here, May have played a small part as well in his decision To go to the Tigers.